Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign Marcus Johansson 2yrs 9mil (4.5 AAV)

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
He looks promising as perhaps the best UFA forward that they have signed out of the NHL perhaps ever. Crazy to think that considering the history of the team.

Do we count Skinner since he basically was a rental who we signed as almost maybe a free agent?

And I can't remember if Joey Juneau was a trade or a signing. I think trade, but I have had a lot of concussions.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Do we count Skinner since he basically was a rental who we signed as almost maybe a free agent?

And I can't remember if Joey Juneau was a trade or a signing. I think trade, but I have had a lot of concussions.

Juneau was indeed a trade; the incomparable Alexei Tezikov was the main piece going back to the Caps. And Johansson has been amazing - puck possession for days.

Reactions: sabrebuild

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

The extenuating circumstances around the acquisition kind of mitigate that. They paid top dollar to retain him and we don’t know if that contract is going to prove worth it in the long run. It’s likely it doesn’t…

Reactions: slip

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I viewed his signing as someone who could lift or stabilize a middle 6 line from the wing due to his zone entry ability. His early years with the caps saw a very pedestrian 3rd line center. He is not good at the dot or just rusty. But saying Bobblehead had the vision that he would be this effective is questionable. I am pleased he has done as well as he has but I always fear regression to the mean. Maybe Ralph really inspires this guy because he brings it game in and game out. Now get him and Jeff another winger.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Another underrated aspect of his game is his playoff experience. When we do make the dance (and it SHOULD be this year) having guys like Mojo, Sheary and Miller, guys who have played in the postseason often will help a ton with guys like Jack, Sam, Jeff and Rasmus x 2 who have never tasted playoff hockey.

Reactions: Sansbacon

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
The extenuating circumstances around the acquisition kind of mitigate that. They paid top dollar to retain him and we don’t know if that contract is going to prove worth it in the long run. It’s likely it doesn’t…

Oh I agree, way to soon to know if that one will hurt or hurt bad. More thinking of what category it should be in.

On a side note about Skinner's deal. I think his performance so far is a reminder of the concern in signing such a deal was, even tho our circumstances make me think it was the only option. He basically has played his game. Scored some very nice goals, and been a good winger. At 40 goals sure, but how does that deal feel when its the inevitable 25 goal season, playing away from Eich.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad