Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign Marcus Johansson 2yrs 9mil (4.5 AAV)

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
sky.jpg
This would make sense if the fandom had the ability to fire Botterill, but alas..

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
Maybe I'm reading a little too far into it, but those quotes really make it seem like Kruger was an integral part of his decision to come here. Granted it's all moot until they actually step foot on the ice, but that makes me feel really good. Maybe we'll actually see that long talked up culture shift this year.

Reactions: SabresFan26

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yes, the 58 points is the one time he surpassed 50 that I referenced.

Yes, he has problems staying healthy - *literally* the first thing I said. Which is one of the reasons putting him down as a lock for 100 points in two seasons is a stretch, to put it kindly.

You said he hadn't hit that mark in the last three seasons and he had.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I just wonder if slapping him and Sam on either side of Mitts is enough to get second line center performance from him. Probably not, but not impossible.
Yeah, I just posted that exact scenario in the roster thread. The idea would then be to bring in a defensively competent third line center and create a second checking line that can play low event hockey like the Larsson line.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
His shot assist numbers also make me think he could be a good compliment to Skinner when we need to break him and Jack up for whatever reason. In that scenario Reinhart could then slide up with Jack.

Skinner-Eichel-X
Johansson-Mitts-Reinhart

transforms to:

X-Eichel-Reinhart
Skinner-Mitts-Johansson

Really highlights the best thing I can say about this signing: it gives us 4 legitimate top 6 options. Hopefully having 2 legitimate players on each of the top 2 lines can hide warts in the other two spots (Mitts and a one dimensional goal scorer or unproven rookie, likely).

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
His shot assist numbers also make me think he could be a good compliment to Skinner when we need to break him and Jack up for whatever reason. In that scenario Reinhart could then slide up with Jack.

Skinner-Eichel-X
Johansson-Mitts-Reinhart

transforms to:

X-Eichel-Reinhart
Skinner-Mitts-Johansson

Really highlights the best thing I can say about this signing: it gives us 4 legitimate top 6 options. Hopefully having 2 legitimate players on each of the top 2 lines can hide warts in the other two spots (Mitts and a one dimensional goal scorer or unproven rookie, likely).

You and Chad thinking alike

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Yeah, I just posted that exact scenario in the roster thread. The idea would then be to bring in a defensively competent third line center and create a second checking line that can play low event hockey like the Larsson line.
The Johan

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Everything about his metrics just screams perfect compliment for Reinhart.

Yeah he should be the luggage carrier away from Jack to spread that zone entry goodness around.

I just wonder if slapping him and Sam on either side of Mitts is enough to get second line center performance from him. Probably not, but not impossible.

Could be. Or the crazy thought of VO-Sam-MJ as a unit where Sam and Marcus flow to covering the center slot? Entry, set up, finish.

Reactions: Fezzy126 and Husko

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I'm still saying...

Skinner - Eichel - Vesey
Olafsson - Larsson - Johansson
Sheary/Erod - Mitts - Reinhart
Girgs - Boyle - Okoposo
X Smith
KHL - Sobotka
AHL - Nylander, Thompson
Eh I don't personally like Larsson with those line mates but really the only difference in lines 2 and 3 is usage/zone starts and how often you need to throw out your D zone line as apposed to your O zone line.

The line combos will be very interesting though

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Eh I don't personally like Larsson with those line mates but really the only difference in lines 2 and 3 is usage/zone starts and how often you need to throw out your D zone line as apposed to your O zone line.

The line combos will be very interesting though

I'm only half serious but I'd love to see it in preseason.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/buffalo-sabres-marcus-johansson-ralph-krueger/c-308206054?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral

Positive conversations with coach Ralph Krueger and excitement regarding the Sabres' young players were factors that helped bring Marcus Johansson to Buffalo, the forward said during a conference call with the media on Monday.

Johansson signed a two-year, $9 million contract with the Sabres on Saturday, the latest move by general manager Jason Botterill geared toward upgrading the team's depth at forward.

"I think talking to Ralph and Jason, I like what Buffalo's got going," Johansson said. "Talking to Ralph, he's got some really good ideas on how to play, and it's a really young and exciting team. I'm looking forward to it and once it came down to it, I was really happy I ended up going to Buffalo."

I mentioned earlier that I thought Krueger could be a great asset in getting free agents to sign here. Looks like it might have helped with MarJo.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad