TBN: Sabres refusal to salute fans after wins confirmed-Harrington

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Only in Buffalo Sports do we get a standoff between fans and players. Just when I think this franchise couldn't get any lower or darker I log in to see this.

These scars are getting deep that they may always show under the surface even if winning heals them from showing less.

Reactions: VaporTrail

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
The crowd was fully giving it up to the team after a 7-0 rout and, lo and behold, the players started to head directly off the ice after checking in with goalie Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen. But then something was said – couldn’t tell by whom – and the Goatheads reversed course, stopped and raised their sticks before leaving. It wasn’t a full gathering around the circle but at least it was something.

I wonder if it was Erik Johnson who said something. He's the only guy we have that's actually won anything of note. Yeah, Cliffy has been on some good teams, but he doesn't seem the type to say something to the group about this in particular.

It's an absolute shame that EJ is clearly just about cooked.....as he's exactly the type of guy we need more of.

And I'm squarely in the middle of this whole issue. I do think that this kind of lends toward the belief that we need stronger veteran leadership to get us over the hump.................but also I think that ultimately it's a bunch of nothing.

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wonder if it was Erik Johnson who said something. He's the only guy we have that's actually won anything of note. Yeah, Cliffy has been on some good teams, but he doesn't seem the type to say something to the group about this in particular.

It's an absolute shame that EJ is clearly just about cooked.....as he's exactly the type of guy we need more of.

And I'm squarely in the middle of this whole issue. I do think that this kind of lends toward the belief that we need stronger veteran leadership to get us over the hump.................but also I think that ultimately it's a bunch of nothing.

They need more vets, not less. Some of those will be as guys internally mature but they really have to look at bringing in people in that 25-29 age range who can give them professional play and aren't cooked.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I try to see both sides of every issue. Here I see the two sides blaming each other for their misery instead of taking responsibility for their role in perpetuating that misery.

Did the fans cause the drought? Obviously not. But if the fans had packed the house every night this year, been loud, positive, and supportive even when setbacks happened, it surely could have helped avoid the results we've seen.

Justified or not, empty seats, lukewarm support, and immediately booing and questioning the character of everyone involved at the first sign of adversity only made it harder for the team to overcome that adversity.

On the team side, we've discussed to death all the errors and problems with their approach to this season. No point in repeating them here. Much of the criticism of the team is absolutely justified and they need to own that and do better.

Although I'm not real excited about attending the game I have tickets to in March, I'm going to show up with a good attitude and try to be vocal in my support of the team. That's what I can do to contribute to turning this shit show around.
So when I travel 8 hours by bus up to a game and am rewarded by the team being down 3-0 90 seconds in I should give them a standing ovation?

And another thing that irks me: Fans WERE coming back after last season and how were they repaid? That opening night that was as shameful a night as any in team history and everything went downhill from there.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I could care less tbh, the salute was cool for about a season. It's the same thing with the national anthem and tribute videos, it's just not needed. Our fans have every right to be grumpy but we also need to understand that while we have sucked for over a decade most of this team has been here 3-4 years. It's like being mad at your current spouse for something a one night stand did a decade ago.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
They need more vets, not less. Some of those will be as guys internally mature but they really have to look at bringing in people in that 25-29 age range who can give them professional play and aren't cooked.
Its not like we haven't been banging on the walls of the Keybank Center for Adams to actually do his job. I've been wanting a player like Hertle for ages and I don't give a F who the Sabres give up in Rochester to get him or what this board thinks of Hertle. He's the kind of player who drives a line and can score who has experience and is a vet with many good years still ahead of him.

SwordStanley10

Sep 16, 2009
Toronto
This is going to get very ugly I think
As sad as it is, I kind of hope this does get uglier. Because I hope that an ugly blowup from something like this finally leads to some changes within the organization. This continued purgatory of terrible teams with nothing being done about it and the organization not caring is even more depressing than finally hitting rock bottom and doing something about it

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Its not like we haven't been banging on the walls of the Keybank Center for Adams to actually do his job. I've been wanting a player like Hertle for ages and I don't give a F who the Sabres give up in Rochester to get him or what this board thinks of Hertle. He's the kind of player who drives a line and can score who has experience and is a vet.
Yeah, he's played on some decent teams.............but he hasn't exactly won much either. And why would he waive his NMC to come HERE?

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
So when I travel 8 hours by bus up to a game and am rewarded by the team being down 3-0 90 seconds in I should give them a standing ovation?

And another thing that irks me: Fans WERE coming back after last season and how were they repaid? That opening night that was as shameful a night as any in team history and everything went downhill from ththere.
Nope. You are totally justified to boo or to stop going all together. You should just understand that your booing isn't going to help, in fact, probably the opposite. That's all I'm saying.

Edit: and likewise, I'd tell the team they are right that the support hasn't been great, but focusing on that and calling fans out in the media is not going to help, in fact, probably the opposite.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Yeah, he's played on some decent teams.............but he hasn't exactly won much either. And why would he waive his NMC to come HERE?
I mean we should be a lot closer to winning then the San Jose Sharks. The current Sharks team is absolute ass and he still has 34 points in 48 games WITHOUT Logan Couture. For anyone to try and say hes a product of good teams is not giving his the respect he deserves. He is a surefire player.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I could care less tbh, the salute was cool for about a season. It's the same thing with the national anthem and tribute videos, it's just not needed. Our fans have every right to be grumpy but we also need to understand that while we have sucked for over a decade most of this team has been here 3-4 years. It's like being mad at your current spouse for something a one night stand did a decade ago.
3-4 years of failure isnt acceptable to most teams in the league.

Reactions: sabremike

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
As sad as it is, I kind of hope this does get uglier. Because I hope that an ugly blowup from something like this finally leads to some changes within the organization. This continued purgatory of terrible teams with nothing being done about it and the organization not caring is even more depressing than finally hitting rock bottom and doing something about it

They've gone so long making the wrong choice over and over again, why would we think they will somehow come out of this tempest in a teapot making the right decision?

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I understand the frustration, but yeah I'd rather see the players take some ownership if they want to back Don. I don't think them supporting the coach is wrong, I don't even feel like being insulted by the boos is wrong, but you have to address it in a better way.

Regarding Kyle specifically, I don't think he's 'the issue' even though there are certain things he could approach in a better way.

This quote has crossed my mind during the season: https://twitter.com/Matt_Bove/status/1115239169687805953?s=20

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Stockholm syndrome when they decide to turn against their fans to support Donny.

I'm not against Granato but I think changes are needed. Team culture being like this I would probably try to get rid of a third of the roster and build something new. Could be 3-4 rotten apples led by Okposo, our first and foremost captain of entitlement.

The franchise is so dedicated to losing they sent ROR away and now they have gone 100% loser culture.
I'm happy for great guys like Reinhart and Ullmark hsving success elsewhere.

Reactions: jd1970

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
What’s funny is the focus on ‘fixing the culture’ I just made it a bunker mentality that can’t handle criticism and is immune of any expectations, from the GM down. When Adams literally laughed when asked if missing the playoffs by a single point to end an 11 year playoff drought was a missed opportunity it just showed the mentality of the front office wasn’t living in any sort of reality.

The reality is to effect any real change you are going to have to turn over 25-35% of the roster if not more. All the vets have accepted losing as the standard. As has the coaching staff. And the front office was always ok with it. There be voices that say ‘this isn’t ok’ They need to stop trading guys who get pissed off about losing and start moving the guys who are docile about it.

Reactions: kirby11 and jd1970

jd1970

Feb 23, 2007
Downtown Buffalo
Do they salute us on direct deposit day?
I would fully support the owners shutting down the league for the sole purpose of eliminating forever guaranteed contracts.

Reactions: VaporTrail

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I understand the frustration, but yeah I'd rather see the players take some ownership if they want to back Don. I don't think them supporting the coach is wrong, I don't even feel like being insulted by the boos is wrong, but you have to address it in a better way.

Regarding Kyle specifically, I don't think he's 'the issue' even though there are certain things he could approach in a better way.

This quote has crossed my mind during the season: https://twitter.com/Matt_Bove/status/1115239169687805953?s=20

He's probably not wrong. To take it a step further, there's a lot of people on here (myself included) who want a hard ass behind the bench to give them a taste of that on a consistent basis. The other side to that is they are too fragile to handle someone like, so they'll just completely fold if they have some constantly "mother f***ing" them.

But yeah, it's no surprise they support the coach. These guys are getting paid millions of dollars to play for a guy who doesn't hold them accountable, who wants to hold hands and sing kumbaya. It's no wonder they love him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad