TBN: Sabres refusal to salute fans after wins confirmed-Harrington

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Rough year on the fans, players and team in general but who cares about a stick wave it was cool at first but then you can tell the players were just getting tired of it almost like they had the thought "i have to do this every night"
I couldn't care less about the salute itself; I'm not local and get to a home game maybe once every 3 years.

It's about the fact that they're so immature and devoid of leadership both on the roster and among the coaching staff that they felt this was (1) a cause worth pursuing and (2) okay to mention to the media.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
I couldn't care less about the salute itself; I'm not local and get to a home game maybe once every 3 years.

It's about the fact that they're so immature and devoid of leadership both on the roster and among the coaching staff that they felt this was (1) a cause worth pursuing and (2) okay to mention to the media.
Yea it sucks the frustration is boiling over in every facet of buffalo Sabres hockey

Reactions: BuffaloMango

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Rough year on the fans, players and team in general but who cares about a stick wave it was cool at first but then you can tell the players were just getting tired of it almost like they had the thought "i have to do this every night"
It isn't the salute itself, but the fact that they stopped doing it to raise a middle finger to the fans for chanting to fire their coach. It's fine to support your coach, but to be passive-aggressive and "get back" at the fans, your paying customers who are understandably pissed off? That's just low. You don't do that.

A better response would be to still acknowledge the fans but also in the post game let it known it isn't Granato's fault and they stand behind him and disagree with the chants. The last thing they need is negative press with the fans

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Why am I here? Because I love the Sabres and love hockey.

However, I hate this team.

OK, with you?

You don't seem to be in the category of people referenced; since someone who loves hockey and loves the Sabres wouldn't want them to move.

I get that, but I am honestly at that point.

This team and franchise were so important to me. I probably watched about 98% of all action from about 1987 to around 2013. When I was in college ('96-97), we didnt have empire for a year and my mom would mail me VHS recordings of the games and I would watch them after the fact. When we did get Empire, we would have giant house parties with beautiful women everywhere and I would be sequestered in a room until 10 or so glued to some Sabres game.

I took great pride in this franchise and always defended it as if it was a truly unique and great franchise. From the uniforms to the aud to the Knox family to Hasek to RJ. We always had the 3rd best winning/points percentage in NHL history I would tell my friends who supported other teams.

The Sabres were ingrained in my personal identity. I am sure people had referred to me as 'that Sabres guy'. People knew that I was who they should chat with about the Sabres or hockey.

But at the hands of this owner it has been completely ruined. I take no pride in this organization, and I think it is the most poorly run pro sports franchise who isn't purposely tanking to get a ballpark built in Las Vegas. As a fan, I have felt positioned as an adversary of ownership, management, and sometimes players since the moment Lucic laid out Miller with no response. Going to games is depressing and frustrating. It is not like going to watch the Buffalo Sabres. It is like visiting a once favorite relative in hospice care in a nursing home. Watching games has become a waste of time because this team never has games of any consequence. They are a dull team with dull weak players with dull coaches and bad management. I do not believe that ownership generally cares about winning as much as protecting his/their ability to be intimately involved. Ownership killed the clock on the last 10 years of RJ's career and robbed the world of a decade more of calls.
Kevyn Adams is not a serious NHL franchise's general manager. Don Granato is not an NHL coach hired in good faith. Neither would land their positions with other NHL teams. The lack of decent and experienced people in management positions in the front office is heinous.

If my kid were 18 and we knew he was getting drafted in the NHL, I would actually be distraught if Buffalo selected him. My kids now are 12 and 9, live locally, are hockey nuts, and have zero interest in the Sabres. That is a pretty bad sign for the franchise.

I would rather them not move. However, this existence is just as bad, if not worse. What highlights or fun over the last 13 years do we even have? How many games is that? More than 1000? I once thought during the bankruptcy times that the Sabres moving would be unthinkably horrible. Now, I don't really care all that much. It costs like $200-$300 to take my family to a game... to watch what? And players actually thought of a way to protest.... me?

But Jeff Skinner has a funny embarrassing goal song that they pierce my eardrums with when he scores.

So why do I post? I don't know. I didnt for years. I do feel like we could be nearing another inflection point with ownership needing to make changes. Hoping beyond hope he makes changes and does the right thing this time. A lot of it is habitual too. I have been posting on Sabres message boards since the really early days of this stuff, around 2000? I am like a ghost stuck in some activity loop.
Terry Pegula has effectively killed something that I loved. I feel like he needs to be called out on that. Unfortunately, the Buffalo News has been neutered, and so many people are largely indifferent to the Sabres at this point there is little push-back. We cannot boo to show our displeasure either apparently.

Just being honest with meandering thoughts here. Not saying I am 100% right and this is the only way people should think. But that is authentically how I feel. This owner in my eyes is delusional at his abilities to sit in as an NHL executive and he is highly selfish.

While all of this is very heartfelt, it is also not healthy.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Bills fans out there shoveling the f***ing snow out of the stadium so people can sit.
Bills fans flock to the airport at all f***ing hours with signs welcoming the players back home.
That used to be for the Sabres, not just the Bills. Buffalo fans aren't shitty fans. Buffalo Sabres hockey is shitty hockey. I have no idea how old you are (and frankly, I don't care), but this franchise used to be fantastic. Teams feared coming into the Aud. The Sabres used to own visiting team's asses when they played here. This franchise was the fourth winningest franchise in the league.
So what changed?
The game has changed, and so has the quality of the league.
And ownership changed, and none of it has been for the good of the club. Pegula sucks as an owner; he is so far out of his league with hockey, it's not even funny. He lucked into the management side with the Bills.
Maybe he should hire someone that has a f***ing clue on how to run a hockey team.

Last edited by a moderator:

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
So it is the fans' fault

A billionaire bought and hoarded a civic treasure for his personal amusement, ruined it beyond all recognition, and it's my fault because I am apathetic.

I'm not rooting for them to relocate. It would probably make me upset and very nostalgic of what was and what could have been.
However, it wouldn't jar me anywhere close to what it once would have done. It is only a couple degrees worse than a franchise stuck with an owner who sits in scouting meetings taking a lot of notes and asks questions.
This is why the sabres employ a "happy to be there for the opportunity" gm, front office, and coaching staff. Nobody with any value would put up with that.

Pegula cowardly hides from public view like he just poisoned a vibrant water system, and unfortunately when things get bad, fan frustration gets directed at the team on the ice.

Last edited:

BuffaloMango

Mar 14, 2023
Bills fans out there shoveling the f***ing snow out of the stadium so people can sit.
Bills fans flock to the airport at all f***ing hours with signs welcoming the players back home.
That used to be for the Sabres, not just the Bills. Buffalo fans aren't shitty fans. Buffalo Sabres hockey is shitty hockey. I have no idea how old you are (and frankly, I don't care), but this franchise used to be fantastic. Teams feared coming into the Aud. The Sabres used to own visiting team's asses when they played here. This franchise was the fourth winningest franchise in the league.
So what changed?
The game has changed, and so has the quality of the league.
And ownership changed, and none of it has been for the good of the club. Pegula sucks as an owner; he is so far out of his league with hockey, it's not even funny. He lucked into the management side with the Bills.
Maybe he should hire someone that has a f***ing clue on how to run a hockey team.

I was just having this conversation with a buddy last night. He made a great point. Terry doesn't have a brand, or an ethos or a culture. He lacks the persona to put any sort of Pegula stamp on either franchise.

The Bills are built in the vision of Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott. It is there team, their culture. When they go so does the team. If you were to drive down the 90 to Pittsburgh the Steelers have been the same team for 50 years. Doesn't matter the HC, QB, whatever. When you coach the Steelers you play strong defense and you hit hard, you defend this dirt. Do whatever you want outside of that, but this is the type of team the Pittsburgh Steelers will be.

Last edited:
Reactions: kirby11 and Tatanka

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Pegula very much gives off a "I'm a nice guy who is just happy to be here" vibe

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Pegula very much gives off a "I'm a nice guy who is just happy to be here" vibe
Yeah, in front of us but when the doors close behind him he turns around and gives us the finger.

Thats what I picture.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Terry not being local and not being in the area leaves a lot to be desired in terms of accountability. But the team repeatedly shitting themselves to start game after game is on the players and they should know better.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I was just having this conversation with a buddy last night. He made a great point. Terry doesn't have a brand, or an ethos or a culture. He lacks the persona to put any sort of Pegula stamp on either franchise.

The Bills are built in the vision of Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott. It is there team, their culture. When they go so does the team. If you were to drive down the 90 to Pittsburgh the Steelers have been the same team for 50 years. Doesn't matter the HC, QB, whatever. When you coach the Steelers you play strong defense and you hit hard, you defend this dirt. Do whatever you want outside of that, but this is the type of team the Pittsburgh Steelers will be.

Is he too involved or not involved enough? I struggle to think of too many owners who's personal stamps have been a good thing for their teams. Steinbrenner was a household name, but yeah.... baggage.

Marge Schott? Donald Sterling? Larry Quinn?

I'll give you Connie Mack

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Terry saying he wanted to make Buffalo "hockey heaven" and then sitting back and doing nothing but watching the KBC rot into further decay for his entire tenure as owner, while also investing about $100M into Penn State's hockey facilities, is the best example of the "Pegula stamp."

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Is he too involved or not involved enough? I struggle to think of too many owners who's personal stamps have been a good thing for their teams. Steinbrenner was a household name, but yeah.... baggage.

Marge Schott? Donald Sterling? Larry Quinn?

I'll give you Connie Mack
The Rooney family, Wellington Mara, the Knoxes. The Hunt family, DeWitt and before him the Busch family. Those are off the top of my head. All solid franchises who largely follow the example set at the top.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
The Rooney family, Wellington Mara, the Knoxes. The Hunt family, DeWitt and before him the Busch family. Those are off the top of my head. All solid franchises who largely follow the example set at the top.

What was their 'stamp'? If it's building a winning club than the causality is backwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $25.00