TBN: Sabres refusal to salute fans after wins confirmed-Harrington

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I replied that I think it’s good that those guys are willing to stand up for one another and if they believe in Donny, ya know, good. I also understand that these guys realize most of them are new to this organization.

But I also totally get why the Sabres fans have a short fuse, this team either looks like the Sharks or the Avalanche. It’s infuriating.

Reactions: JLewyB

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

So some veteran player (and more I'm sure) expect the fans to have patience and understanding that not all the guys, coaches, and GM have been around for the whole playoff drought. Yet, they don't seem to have patience and understanding that they themselves have totally sucked at home and have given the fans about zero to cheer during the last couple years, especially this one.

That really speaks to a lack of spine, character, ability to face adversity...however you want to describe it. That mentality is a great example of falling for the disguise of the fairly non-difficult life they have, and not being able to empathize with the working class folks who feel like they're wasting hard-earned money and long-standing support on this franchise. To be blunt - that's b---h mode thinking.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Just when I thought I couldnt hate this team more. Definitely KO. He said the same thing about the players not being here the whole time after the Columbus game.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
tear it down and rebuild it from scratch

do it CORRECTLY this time. No quick rebuilds. NO country club atmosphere. NO mere retooling.

Have to get rid of the toxic rot that is on this team

Reactions: VaporTrail

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
tear it down and rebuild it from scratch

do it CORRECTLY this time. No quick rebuilds. NO country club atmosphere. NO mere retooling.

Have to get rid of the toxic rot that is on this team
what? The only thing you can say they’ve done is be soft on the kids. The other two things they have absolutely not done this time around.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Holy shit, and Pegula is just letting this loserdom happen. He just had to.. y’know, fire the bad coach. Tell the players tough shit, do better then.

Instead it festered, they’re down the whole wrong track even when they win- we get it, you like the guy, but that is the wrong f***ing horse to bet on. Then there’s KO, who has never won a damned bet in his life, saying “ya guys, this one! All in!”

Young kids could be saved from this bullshit but that’d cost money, better sink the whole damned thing. Someone will still buy it for 1000% what Pegula paid when it’s all over.

Reactions: jd1970 and paulmm3

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
What a loser mentality. If this is the mental space that the entire team is in, then the results make a lot of sense.

If the players put in a good effort without the best results, I bet there would be hardly any booing. This season, the effort just isn’t there a lot of the games.

They need to jettison the “vets” whoever they are and bring in some culture guys from outside. Hopefully this article gives Adams the ammo to do just that.

Reactions: BuffaloMango

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
What a loser mentality. If this is the mental space that the entire team is in, then the results make a lot of sense.

If the players put in a good effort without the best results, I bet there would be hardly any booing. This season, the effort just isn’t there a lot of the games.

They need to jettison the “vets” whoever they are and bring in some culture guys from outside. Hopefully this article gives Adams the ammo to do just that.
I’m sure Adams has known about this for weeks haha

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Honestly, NHL teams "saluting the fans" is dumb to begin with. It's a tradition that works in college hockey and minor pro hockey, where the players actually have some connection with the fans. It doesn't work for NHL hockey.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Honestly, NHL teams "saluting the fans" is dumb to begin with. It's a tradition that works in college hockey and minor pro hockey, where the players actually have some connection with the fans. It doesn't work for NHL hockey.
I agree. It's a mostly hollow gesture. If I were in the stands I wouldn't be booing, it's just not my thing. But I wouldn't hold it against any other fans for MFing how this team plays most nights in their own rink. Even if they really are putting in an effort, they play so disorganized and uninspiring hockey that it looks the same as having no energy or urgency.

It sounds like this roster thinks they're getting booed just because of the drought, when it has a lot more to do with the wimpy style they play and mistake prone D-zone gaffes. If and when they finally get their shat together, I wouldn't want/expect a salute. I just want them to play desperate hockey and win with a tiny bit of passion, instead of feeling like I'm on Xbox with a disconnected controller.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Are all of the players on board with this? Do the few fans start trolling the team now? There is a very clear misunderstanding of Buffalo culture. There will be pushback. If Adams sits on his hands, he will also be gone. Move okposo - send a f***ing message. If you want to save the coaches job, play better instead of picking a fight with the fans that pay your salary.

There's nothing to gain from this neutered team culture and a weird hill to die on. This is all mind blowing

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
They have exactly 0% of my sympathy. Im really getting tired of the coach, GM, and players.

Reactions: paulmm3

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
What a weird little development.

On the one hand, knowing they're doing it on purpose seems petty and disrespectful to the few fans still going to games and pumping money into the machine. On the other hand, it's not like the fans haven't already driven that wedge between them and the team with the booing and the chants and god willing if anyone on the team actually looks at social media.

The problems with this team aren't going to have a quick, easy fix. I'm not totally committed to the idea that the team is lazy and spoiled, I just think it's hard to take an entire team of young skill players and turn them all into grizzled NHL two way players overnight. It's a team makeup issue that gets a little worse every year we draft high and pick more high skill players because they're usually the BPA, and moves aren't made to turn these assets into NHL players that can make a difference.

I get as fans our first thought after the decade plus of no playoffs is "these bums just need to f***ing sit back and take whatever we say and do because we pay the bills" but obviously, short of the whole team turning around and winning the fans back with their play, someone somewhere feels like this is one of the only ways they can defend themselves.

So I kinda get it, though I don't think any good can come from furthering the divide between the fans and the team.

Last edited:

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
A reporter needs to ask for a public response from the player leadership. Captains and assistants

Maybe why they lose at home is because they hate the fans

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
A reporter needs to ask for a public response from the player leadership. Captains and assistants

This is seriously the most screwed up thing that I have heard. Don’t care who it is. Why weren’t they suspended or traded or waived. Instead they maybe got moved to top line. What does that response mean from the general manager? Is this acceptable in any sport

Especially when they say it out loud. They could have said “we think it’s hollow”. So we stopped

Instead I read the response as “ we don’t respect the fans. So does that mean they don’t play hard for them either.

I have never seen this

Reactions: BuffaloMango

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
The salute was super dumb, but cancelling is an example of a chicken sh*t franchise that can't take criticism from the fan base. Pathetic.

Harrington just insults his followers on X. It keeps him too busy for reporting.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00