Post-Game Talk: Sabres/Refs 5 Leafs 2

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
After every loss all I see is blaming the refs, it’s lazy. The leafs were garbage and absolutely deserved to lose. If you think a bad call here and there would have resulted in a Leafs win you weren’t paying attention

Reactions: ACC1224 and ToneDog

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
After every loss all I see is blaming the refs, it’s lazy. The leafs were garbage and absolutely deserved to lose. If you think a bad call here and there would have resulted in a Leafs win you weren’t paying attention
They Sabres had 2 goals directly off bad officiating. We deserved to lose, but there's been plenty of games we deserved to win where a bad spell cost us and it looked like we may finally flip that script last night.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Pretty much how Keefe saw it and called out his players.

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
They Sabres had 2 goals directly off bad officiating. We deserved to lose, but there's been plenty of games we deserved to win where a bad spell cost us and it looked like we may finally flip that script last night.
A couple bad calls last night against the Leafs for sure, yet Sabres absolutely dominated that game regardless. Far too often fans are quick to point out bad calls against, but won’t acknowledge when bad calls go our way. It balances out

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Holl is 26 years old already. IMO he was better than Muzzin yesterday.

Not sure I agree with you on that, but to be honest, I didn’t watch the whole game. However, looking at the season so far, I would have to say I feel much more comfortable with Muzzin out there against the other team’s top players, at least for now. But I also like how Holl isn’t afraid to take someone out when the chance arises, and he can handle the puck okay and make some good passes.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
A couple bad calls last night against the Leafs for sure, yet Sabres absolutely dominated that game regardless. Far too often fans are quick to point out bad calls against, but won’t acknowledge when bad calls go our way. It balances out
...except it didn't balance out, at all, especially last night.

There are always missed and bad calls in a game, last night was an extreme. If you didn't notice you weren't paying enough attention.

The two hooks and a slash leading to the second goal. Both hooks causing a turnover? The trip on Nylander leading for a turnover in the high slot in the second? The blatant interference on Kap that prevented a breakaway? The questionable Muzzin trip at that time in the game for the GWG? The Eichel cross check on Hyman at the end of their PP? It shouldnt be this easy to find examples in a single game.

Last edited:

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015

There are always missed and bad calls in a game, last night was an extreme. If you didn't notice you weren't paying enough attention.

The two hooks and a slash leading to the second goal. Both hooks causing a turnover? The trip on Nylander leading for a turnover in the high alot in the second? The blatant interference on Kap that prevented a breakaway? The questionable Muzzin trip at that time in the game for the GWG? The Eichel cross check on Hyman at the end of their PP? It should be this easy to find examples in a single game.
I was talking about it balancing out over the course of a season. If you want to go down the rabbit hole of garbage calls that went in favour of the Leafs this season we can. Fact of the matter is, I was much more upset over the teams horrific effort as opposed to a couple soft calls

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I was talking about it balancing out over the course of a season. If you want to go down the rabbit hole of garbage calls that went in favour of the Leafs this season we can. Fact of the matter is, I was much more upset over the teams horrific effort as opposed to a couple soft calls
There's room for both.

I can say the team played shitty and the officials ended up playing a bigger role than they ever should.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

TVs Frank

Feb 4, 2020
Here’s a conspiracy theory for ya. As a way to counter fan criticism of players, coaches and management, Dubas and MLSE hire a bunch of punters to fill the message boards with conspiracy theories blaming refs, Bettman and everyone but the Leafs themselves for their mediocre play on the ice. And guess what, it works.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Last 3 season = dead last in penalties drawn. The team has a lot of issues but that doesn't mean refs are not reluctant to call infractions against them. The team gets no respect from the refs or the league.

TVs Frank

Feb 4, 2020
Okay, this is getting embarrassing. There is zero evidence of a vast NHL conspiracy against Toronto. Officials and the NHL executive are not conspiring to keep us down or keep us out of the Stanley Cup. Claiming that “I know an ex-referee who told me about it” is not proof of anything but some moron’s over-active imagination. Like all conspiracy theories, it is based on anecdotal stories that cannot be either proven or disproven and gives the story teller a sense of importance and power as the sole source of vital information.
A conspiracy of officiating directed against Toronto would require the involvement all 85 referees and linesmen, 70 of whom are Canadian. It would almost certainly require the involvement of the union representing on-ice officials and many of the union executives. It would require the involvement of off-ice officiating at NHL head offices in New York and dozens of league executives, including Bettman. This conspiracy involving well over 100 individuals would been done presumably behind the backs of all the other league GMs and certainly behind the backs of MLSE and its shareholders who would be losing millions by being effectively locked out of Stanley Cup appearances. And the league and all it’s co-conspirators would be violating numerous US anti-trust and racketeering laws, risking years in prison, millions in fines and the complete loss of credibility of the NHL all for the single purpose of denying our Leafs the chance at a Stanley Cup...sure, why not, the earth is flat, the moon landing never happened and everyone is to blame for us losing last night except our Leafs.

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
That was the most Lazy stand around puck watching debaucle I have ever witnessed, this team looked liked they needed geritol as they all played like they were 75 freakin years old, If I was the coach I would have been put in jail as I would of cuffed the back of their helmets and freaked on them from being embarrassed at a bottom team cycling the &^% out of us for 2 (*&^ periods where we barely could get out of our zone as we stood around with this DUMBARSE 2 step trying to defend in our own zone. I surely hope the team was riddled with the flu or something for an excuse for that absolute tired display of hockey, a little life to begin the 3rd just does not cut it these are valuable points which again in the month of Feb they are pissing away. Yes the officiating sucked but this team played like they jogged all the way down the QEW to Buffalo with a no show and no gas, we were beaten to every puck and out skated, NO excuse unless every player was flu ridden.

Reactions: Blowfish

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Here’s a conspiracy theory for ya. As a way to counter fan criticism of players, coaches and management, Dubas and MLSE hire a bunch of punters to fill the message boards with conspiracy theories blaming refs, Bettman and everyone but the Leafs themselves for their mediocre play on the ice. And guess what, it works.
Shanny, where's my cheque?

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Hmm, maybe you were hired to come out as "regular Joe Fan who is offended" and stating it's not fixed?

Reactions: Azazel

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I'm pretty convinced the broadcasters are told what to say by management. They've been pumping goalies tires hard for over a month now. Every shot into their crest is a 'solid save' Trying to keep the natives restless :p

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
Okay, this is getting embarrassing. There is zero evidence of a vast NHL conspiracy against Toronto. Officials and the NHL executive are not conspiring to keep us down or keep us out of the Stanley Cup. Claiming that “I know an ex-referee who told me about it” is not proof of anything but some moron’s over-active imagination. Like all conspiracy theories, it is based on anecdotal stories that cannot be either proven or disproven and gives the story teller a sense of importance and power as the sole source of vital information.
A conspiracy of officiating directed against Toronto would require the involvement all 85 referees and linesmen, 70 of whom are Canadian. It would almost certainly require the involvement of the union representing on-ice officials and many of the union executives. It would require the involvement of off-ice officiating at NHL head offices in New York and dozens of league executives, including Bettman. This conspiracy involving well over 100 individuals would been done presumably behind the backs of all the other league GMs and certainly behind the backs of MLSE and its shareholders who would be losing millions by being effectively locked out of Stanley Cup appearances. And the league and all it’s co-conspirators would be violating numerous US anti-trust and racketeering laws, risking years in prison, millions in fines and the complete loss of credibility of the NHL all for the single purpose of denying our Leafs the chance at a Stanley Cup...sure, why not, the earth is flat, the moon landing never happened and everyone is to blame for us losing last night except our Leafs.
Perfectly said

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
We are seeing blatant obvious penalties against us that are not being called. It's as simple as that. No need putting an extra onus on ourselves.

I'm not the kind of guy who wants to blame the refs for a loss.

I am the kind of guy who isn't going to blindly pretend that there is not a bias against us when there clearly is.

I have no problem speaking the truth even though some may see it as a cop out.

It is what it is. Acting like it doesn't exist accomplishes nothing and is an ostrich with his head in the sand type of thing.

Maybe it's because I watch more hockey (ie other teams) than most, but I don't see any bias whatsoever. I see a gutless team that floats through large stretches of games and goes to get by on skill alone.

Reactions: Blowfish

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Or a few refs grew up disliking Toronto and got their panties in a bunch when Babcock called them out publicly, and that latent bias turns 50/50 calls into 49/51 calls.

A team this skilled drawing the least amount of penalties over a 3 year sample size where they out-possessed the field makes absolutely 0 sense. Game management and subconscious ref bias leads to unbalanced outcomes without the need for an actual conspiracy.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011

The two hooks and a slash leading to the second goal. Both hooks causing a turnover? The trip on Nylander leading for a turnover in the high slot in the second? The blatant interference on Kap that prevented a breakaway? The questionable Muzzin trip at that time in the game for the GWG? The Eichel cross check on Hyman at the end of their PP? It shouldnt be this easy to find examples in a single game.
It never balances out , ask Arizona , thst was the weakest goalie interference call of the century but it went our way so eff it .

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I have been paying attention to poor refereeing league wide. Its brutal and discipline is brutal. Players and coaches are fed up and snapping all over the league. It is a real issue. It is so hard to rationalize with many calls that it looks like ulterior motives are underlying

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad