Value of: Sabres need an NHL-calibre goalie

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
Per title. Every major and minor media source pointed out that the Sabres had one of the worst goalie tandems in the league and the Sabres did nothing to address it.

The Sabres are now in need of a goalie after Brandon Montour decided to take out Carter Hutton for reasons unknown to man and elves alike. Ulmark is also out for personal reasons and it's unknown when/if he'll return.

The Sabres are willing to trade draft picks (up to top-15 protected first, or multiple seconds), but not core roster players, so we aren't looking for superstar-calibre goalies, just goalies who are around the NHL average.

Are there any goalies like that available?

Georgiev

serp

Jan 17, 2016
There's not much out there to get right now. Who has a NHL-calibre goalie they don't need right now ? This year you clearly need at least 2 options. So the good backups just aren't available right now. They're needed right now. Do Rangers fans want Keith Kinkaid to play in games ? I don't think so.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
There's not much out there to get right now. Who has a NHL-calibre goalie they don't need right now ? This year you clearly need at least 2 options. So the good backups just aren't available right now. They're needed right now. Do Rangers fans want Keith Kinkaid to play in games ? I don't think so.

You are entitled to your opinion but IMO it is wrong.
Esp in a short season, where games played will be at min for the young bull Shesty, playing Kinkaid will have min impact, esp vs less competitive clubs.

Rangers have G talent in their system for next year.
We can give Wall and Huska like 4 games or whatev the min is cup of coffee as well.

The ? is what does Geo return.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Why didn't you guys pick up Dell when he was waived?

What about Dansk from VGK?

You should have signed Greiss when you had the chance, but I get that you didn't know about the injury issues.

Pekka Rinne? I am sure he could be had for peanuts. You don't need him for long term anyway.

Jarry might need a change of scenery?

Antti Niemi could hold the fort for the year?

David Ayres is available..even on Yahoo Fantasy!

JF Berube?

Calvin Pickard?

Louis Domingue?

Fucale was once highly regarded?

You're not gonna get a stellar goalie for what you want to pay with regard to trading, so you're stuck with 3rd rate., but a lot of these guys can hold their own and a lot are a hit or miss.

Unfortunately, New Jersey got their choice to claim or pass on Dell on waivers just before the Sabres could. If the Devils passed on him, then the Sabres could have claimed him. Until a certain point in the season, waivers are in reverse from last year's standings

Reactions: explore

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I would love to see buffalo ho after Darcy kuemper if possible.tho o doubt ARZ has any interest in moving him unless they think raanta can stay healthy and they trust adin hill

I’m also excited for UPL down the line, has all the makings of a quality nhl goaltender

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
If Buffalo misses the playoffs for the 10th straight season to tie the record for longest playoff drought in NHL history, does Jack Eichel request a trade out of Buffalo?

If the answer is yes, you have to go out and get a decent goalie, even if it means overpaying.

If the answer is no, then you can sit on your hands and let the season go down the tubes and wait for next year.

It's an uncomfortable question that most fans seem to be hoping can be solved through the waiver wire or mid-round picks. If it were me, I'd be doing everything I could to get Eichel a goalie and help him get into the playoffs so he stays.

Reactions: the Chad Kilger

EmeraldCitySabre

Yeah, we've got uniforms and everything....
Apr 10, 2010
The Claw
If Buffalo misses the playoffs for the 10th straight season to tie the record for longest playoff drought in NHL history, does Jack Eichel request a trade out of Buffalo?

If the answer is yes, you have to go out and get a decent goalie, even if it means overpaying.

If the answer is no, then you can sit on your hands and let the season go down the tubes and wait for next year.

It's an uncomfortable question that most fans seem to be hoping can be solved through the waiver wire or mid-round picks. If it were me, I'd be doing everything I could to get Eichel a goalie and help him get into the playoffs so he stays.

I've been saying since the end of last season that this is the make or break year for the Sabres. I personally believe if we miss the playoffs this year then Jack will start asking for a trade, I also kinda think the front office believes this too, so I agree that they need to get a goalie NOW. Eichel is ultra competitive so I don't see him wanting to stay on a losing team for too much longer.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018

Well the good news is Ullmark is back.His father unfortunately passed away so thats why he was out.Although I would love to get another goalie its not as urgent as before

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Jack Eichel actually has zero leverage to request a trade. He's signed long term. I suppose he can sit a season out. He knows the Sabres have a good goalie in pipeline and likely more

The Sabres are for sure not trading even a protected 1st round pick for a goalie, they are unlikely trading even their second for a goalie because it could be top 40. They do not own a third. I think there is an OUTSIDE chance we would trade a 2022 2nd for a goalie if the cap was good and he had another year of term. For those asking, that sure ain't Fluery at $7 million. At that cap hit, he has negative value today.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I repeat what I said before:

Georgiev + return of BUF 2021 3RD + OTT 2021 4TH
for
Sabes next two 2nds [presum 2021 + 2022] + acceptable prospect

Geo is better than average, good not great on balance, some highs and lows, but the potential to have high performance suggests he can excel with right team.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Rittich is not an upgrade over Ullmark, it's marginal at best. No thanks.
It's true he's not really an upgrade in terms of quality of play. But he's shown he can handle starters workload. That would really be the only thing separating them though.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Ok Sabres fans saying no. We don’t need an upgrade on Ullmark. Just on Hutton. This thread is also predicated on both being gone for the year.

But both are fine, apparently. So now it’s improve the situation between Hutton and Johansson.

We still need another NHL caliber goalie even if both Ullmark and Hutton are good to go, since one of those guys is Carter Hutton.

Reactions: explore

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Talked about it on the Sabres board, but I think the Sabres would be thrilled if we could get MAF from Vegas.

Odd man out in Vegas, couldn't give him away at full cap hit with a second during the offseason, but he's still hungry and wants to prove himself.

Would Vegas be willing to retain on him to move him for a similar forward or defenseman from Buffalo (assuming MAF is willing to waive to come to Buffalo)?

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
The whole back end for buffalo needs an overhaul. Dahlin is amazing and getting better, but then you have McCabe, risto, and montour to round out the top 4. Combine that with meh goaltending and it's not a recipie for success. In terms of putting a patch on things, I'd say try for hammer and raanta off of az. It's not high end or super pretty, but it could certainly help

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
The whole back end for buffalo needs an overhaul. Dahlin is amazing and getting better, but then you have McCabe, risto, and montour to round out the top 4. Combine that with meh goaltending and it's not a recipie for success. In terms of putting a patch on things, I'd say try for hammer and raanta off of az. It's not high end or super pretty, but it could certainly help

The defense is performing just fine as a unit, honestly. Risto and McCabe have pretty sparkling metrics so far this season, in particular, and the team as a whole is outshooting and outchancing opponents. What's failed us so far this season is PDO. Half of that problem should correct itself (Skinner and Eichel aren't going to shoot at 0% all year), but our goaltending is a real problem.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
You obviously haven't been following the Sabres this season. Risto and McCabe have been fantastic this year and Dahlin has been absolutely horrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad