Friedman: Sabres looking at Skinner, Pacioretty and Nash

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
O'Reilly's contract is fine. Your last paragraph says it all. Pacioretty is too old for our core. He'll be declining as we're presumably entering our window of contention. He'll almost assuredly get a big contract with a long term that we shouldn't be giving him.

Being an Oilers fan I can probably relate to Buffalo fan base.

With the Oilers, I really think their younger players could use a veteran older player who is actually still a good player that contributes. I think having that is a invaluable to establish a more successful culture.

So I think a player like Pacorietty could help the Sabres. But hes going to be 30 years old at the end of the contract. Hes probably going to get a 5+ year deal on his extension. It has the makings to be an ugly contract. So while he could be a good add, you are probably right in that he wouldnt likely fit your core good enough (without eventually hurting the team).

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Only if you assume Buffalo's objective is making our team worse both now and in the future. I don't think it is, but then I'm not the GM.

Also, Bergevin is still the Habs GM. Does anyone think the guy who turned Subban, Sergachev, and Galchenyuk into Weber, Domi, and Drouin is capable of pulling off that kind of fleecing?
Molson :help:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
If you are going to trade O’Reilly then why even bother to acquire a winger?

The Sabres offense is just putrid. They better keep ROR unless they are in full tank mode.

I’m sure Dahlin will be a great player but this team has so many holes, my gosh.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
O'Reilly's contract is fine. Your last paragraph says it all. Pacioretty is too old for our core. He'll be declining as we're presumably entering our window of contention. He'll almost assuredly get a big contract with a long term that we shouldn't be giving him.

They aren’t trading for goals though, what they need is a captain. I’ll conclude this link to the article Shane Doan wrote: “The Right Way”. It does a pretty good job summarizing what Buffalo needs right now. It needs a culture change. It needs someone to come in and teach these kids the right way. Eichel is a great player, make no mistake, but that team needs someone to set the example. Too many hotshots.

Link: Growing Up In the NHL | By Shane Doan

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If you are going to trade O’Reilly then why even bother to acquire a winger?

The Sabres offense is just putrid. They better keep ROR unless they are in full tank mode.

I’m sure Dahlin will be a great player but this team has so many holes, my gosh.

Yeah they’ll never finish last with RoR and that swell locker room culture they’ve fostered!

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Also he slow. And they want to play not slow. Okposo is also slow and is immovable. Reinhart is also slow but is young and under team control for four more years.

Odd man out.

The odd man being the one who wears a letter and told the world he lost his love for hockey playing on this team.

Some leader.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
MTL
O’Reilly
Seabrook
Duclair

BUF
Patch
Petry

Chi
Drouin
Girgensons
Montreal gives up 3rd overall, patch, drouin and petry for Oreilly, duclair and seabrook? Terrible trade for Montreal and one of the worst trade proposals ever. No Montreal fan
would ever agree to that. Their management though? Well that's a different story. They'll take that everyday of the week and twice on Sunday's.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
MTL
O’Reilly
Seabrook
Duclair

BUF
Patch
Petry

Chi
Drouin
Girgensons

Wait Montreal gives up Drouin, no. 3, Pacioretty and Petry for Ryan O'reilly and Seabrook?

Are you f***ing serious?

Montreal gives up 3rd overall, patch, drouin and petry for Oreilly, duclair and seabrook? Terrible trade for Montreal and one of the worst trade proposals ever. No Montreal fan
would ever agree to that. Their management though? Well that's a different story. They'll take that everyday of the week and twice on Sunday's.

Wizard

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
They aren’t trading for goals though, what they need is a captain. I’ll conclude this link to the article Shane Doan wrote: “The Right Way”. It does a pretty good job summarizing what Buffalo needs right now. It needs a culture change. It needs someone to come in and teach these kids the right way. Eichel is a great player, make no mistake, but that team needs someone to set the example. Too many hotshots.

Link: Growing Up In the NHL | By Shane Doan
I think we could definitely use a vet in the locker room that commands respect and will positively influence these young guys. I don't know that they need that guy to be captain material or that they need to instill a culture change. The team has been bad because the majority of the roster hasn't been very good and coaching has been terrible to boot. Get better players in here, and hope Housley learned some things in his 1st season as a head coach and will improve. Those things improve the on ice product, which results in more wins which tends to sort out this losing culture narrative. Regardless I don't think the players being discussed are the leaders in the locker room that are culture changers and captain material.

Reactions: normaliswear

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Hard pass on these trade options.

The only one that makes any sense is Skinner, and even then, I still don’t know that I’m comfortable in weakening the center ice position at this point.

The Sabres finished in last place, and there’s clealry more that needs to be done than just swapping our second best center (and forward) for a olderwinger.

This is a move I could see us making a year or two down the road when we have our ducks in a row, but not now.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Why trade ror, get a player older than ror when you already said you wanted to build around a younger team, a guy that has 1 year left on his deal and would cost assets? Just sign nash for whatever for 2 years. Makes zero sense

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
If and when ROR gets traded (and I hope he won't) Sabres fans will know how truly f***ed the Sabres are with Botterill at the helm. ROR for any of these 3 as the main piece coming back is a disaster

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
How would Sabres fans feel about ROR for Tanev 4.45 per for 2 years, Sutter 1.375 million retained so 3 per for 3 years and Baertschi RFA. You get Tanev to pair Dahlen with and Sutter to take over 3C behind Eichel and Reinhart plus bring Mittelstadt along on wing. Baertschi for added depth in your top 9. The cap hit would be a saw off between Tanev and Sutter=ROR Baertschi I see getting 2.5 -3 max per on bridge deal. Thoughts?

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
How would Sabres fans feel about ROR for Tanev 4.45 per for 2 years, Sutter 1.375 million retained so 3 per for 3 years and Baertschi RFA. You get Tanev to pair Dahlen with and Sutter to take over 3C behind Eichel and Reinhart plus bring Mittelstadt along on wing. Baertschi for added depth in your top 9. The cap hit would be a saw off between Tanev and Sutter=ROR Baertschi I see getting 2.5 -3 max per on bridge deal. Thoughts?
We would feel that's pretty shit quite honestly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad