Friedman: Sabres looking at Skinner, Pacioretty and Nash

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
No he won't. It will be something around Pacioretty and Reinhart. As we see right now and since MB is Mtl' GM, he prefers 1 vs 1 trades.

If he gets a guy like Reinhart who can play center, he will put himself in a position of drafting the best player available at 3OA, which is Zadina. He is nhl ready and will easily replace Galchenyuk's production in a year or 2.

I could easily see a pretty young top 9 next year for Habs.

Drouin-Reinhart-Gallagher
Zadina-Domi-Scherbak
Byron-Danault-Lehkonen
Hudon-DLR-Shaw/Deslauriers

And that's a good start for a rebuild. Hopefully, they can get a gem or 2 with their 2nd round picks. Then next year's draft will be the real moment for Habs to get their no.1 center.

Reinhart won't be traded. Take it to the bank.

This will be ROR for Pacioretty.
Pactches is not what Buffalo needs. He's a great player, but he's approaching 30, and with only 1 year left on his deal, when compared to the long term actual salary friendly deal of ROR? Not remotely a good fit for targeting ROR.
Buffalo has stocked it's D in recent weeks with competition for their D spots with young to mid 20's D men. What Buffalo needs is speed on the LW. And if the Sabres are moving ROR, the price is sure to be hefty since they have NO NEED to move him. As others have pointed out, and rightly so, Buffalo doesn't need the 3rd OA, they need roster ready players to slot in with their budding young talent in Eichel and Reinhart. So what does Montreal have that fits that bill? Drouin? Domi?

Reactions: normaliswear

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I'd add Mete to Pacioretty for ROR and a 5th

What scares me is that players which play ROR's style of game tend to abruptly decline around their late 20s and are often out of the NHL in their early 30s.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010

What scares me is that players which play ROR's style of game tend to abruptly decline around their late 20s and are often out of the NHL in their early 30s.
What style is that? Holds the record for most face off wins in a season all while building a career based on puck possession style via that face off skill set style?

The guy is a pez dispenser at the face off dot. He's just now entering the 27 to 32 yr old prime years of his career age, which by no coincidence, runs current with his back end salary friendly contract.
Mete, Patches and a 5th? Buffalo says no thanks.
If Montreal is serious about ROR, as Lebrun pointed out, young assets. Think Drouin, Domi, not Patches.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
What style is that? Holds the record for most face off wins in a season all while building a career based on puck possession style via that face off skill set style?

The guy is a pez dispenser at the face off dot. He's just now entering the 27 to 32 yr old prime years of his career age, which by no coincidence, runs current with his back end salary friendly contract.
Mete, Patches and a 5th? Buffalo says no thanks.
If Montreal is serious about ROR, as Lebrun pointed out, young assets. Think Drouin, Domi, not Patches.

That style is players that tend to lack skill and rely on smarts and physical play. Players that give in a 110 percent every shift and sacrifice every part of their body to block shots. These players tend to dramatically decline in their late 20s and you can quote this in 3 years.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm not sure about Skinner, but Nash and Pacioretty disappear come mid-March

Being serious, Skinner has done well in March, many times carrying the team.

15/16: 5G, 12P in 14 games
16/17: 12G, 17P in 16 games
17/18: 4G, 10P in 16 games (this season, Peters lost the entire team by the end but Skinner still did ok).

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Being serious, Skinner has done well in March, many times carrying the team.

15/16: 5G, 12P in 14 games
16/17: 12G, 17P in 16 games
17/18: 4G, 10P in 16 games (this season, Peters lost the entire team by the end but Skinner still did ok).

He seems like a good player and imo a better option than Skinner. However teams are still bias towards size and Pacs isn't slow either.

Plus he's got cool nicknames.

Casperetty
Patioretty

And my personal one
PacYourBagsAlretty

If Buffalo does acquire him, Pacioretty is the type of player to get you to the playoffs, but not through them.

Then again Oshie was complete garbage come post season time but a change of scenery helped him.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He seems like a good player and imo a better option than Skinner. However teams are still bias towards size and Pacs isn't slow either.

I'm confused. You responded to my post showing Skinner's numbers and then said he'd be a better option than Skinner? Did I misread it or were you thinking my numbers were for Pacioretty?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I know what you meant. I was just joking with mid-April comment because Skinner has never yet been to the NHL playoffs

Ahh that makes sense

I'm confused. You responded to my post showing Skinner's numbers and then said he'd be a better option than Skinner? Did I misread it or were you thinking my numbers were for Pacioretty?

I'm going to bed. Skinner is a better option than Pacioretty.

My brain doesn't work good....

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Sabres and Canadiens make terrible trade partners, because Bergevin can’t pursue RoR and pursue a rebuild while addressing any of the Sabres’ needs.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Have a wierd feeling that the Domi trade may have been a precursor to a ROR deal... I pray I'm wrong
Could be. Really the only deal that seems palatable is the 3rd overall for ROR. Buffalo almost certainly takes a big step back in the short-term losing a guy that plays the minutes/role O'Reilly does, but gains a large amount of cap space and gets a super skilled LW in Zadina to play on the top line with Eichel for the long-term.
Maybe something around Poehling +++, but I just don't see what else bridges the gap in value there.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I have a feeling there will be a trade involving Pacioretty and O'Reilly.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
3OA+Pac+Mete for ROR+Girgensons+Bailey

Buffalo gets older on the one piece, but gets higher quality on the younger pieces. Montreal solves their center problem and has potential to turn Girgensons around

You just traded Gal for potential in Domi, so don’t tell me there’s no precedence.

Reactions: normaliswear

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Buffalo will be drafting first and 3rd overall this year. When's the last time a team picked twice in the top 3? Vancouver with the Sedins?

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
That style is players that tend to lack skill and rely on smarts and physical play. Players that give in a 110 percent every shift and sacrifice every part of their body to block shots. These players tend to dramatically decline in their late 20s and you can quote this in 3 years.
O'Reilly doesn't lack skill and doesn't rely on physical play. He's 100% skill and smarts. Those don't decline.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe

If we can talk to Patches and hes happy to sign an extension with us at a reasonable contract - yes, fine. Otherwise Im not trading ROR for 1 year of Patches and a big unknown in Mete..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad