Friedman: Sabres looking at Skinner, Pacioretty and Nash

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Elliott says the Sabres asking about wingers.
Friedman | O’Reilly has very good chance of being dealt

Wonder if SAN Jose first is on the table.

The guys that would help aren't available, the guys that are available won't help. I hope they ride it out, play Mitts at wing and allow him to develop and get a feel for the speed and physicality before throwing him in at center. ROR shouldn't be moved unless it fills a need with a high quality player or fills several needs with depth NHL talent.

We need a goalie first and foremost. I know they want to see what Ullmark can do, but there needs to be a fallback option if he falls flat to start the year. They can't have another start like last year and just ride it out, Botts needs to make some smart moves and have plans B, C, and D ready to go should things look bad early.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Watch the Canes trade with the Sabres: Skinner + Hanifin for ROR + 32nd pick

I doubt we deal pick 32, maybe a 4th. Also I'm not fond of Hanifin. He's protected in Carolina and still has similar numbers to Ristolainen who plays some of the hardest minutes in the NHL.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
In the world where a dude on a hockey message board (me) typed a comparison in 14 seconds. Sorry it wasn't up to your standards, Hemingway.

Your initial comment stated one was a high-end asset, one was a reliable workhorse but wasn't special, and one was old workhorse that might be useful.

While the Rick Nash being comparable to an old beater is fair calling either patches or Skinner a Corolla is obviously incorrect.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I don't think any of these guys are going to be the centerpiece in a ROR trade. Skinner and Pacioretty are rentals. Nash is just over the hill trash. It's likely Buffalo is just kicking the tires on these guys.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Easy to connect the dots, but the article is written in a way that seems to indicate the Sabres pursuit of wingers is not necessarily tied to an O’Reilly trade.

I put the value of Pacioretty and Skinner as fairly similar to that of Evander Kane.

What would we realistically have to add to flip that pick for either player?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Anyone reading the article will see the two things aren’t connected (looking at wingers and the RoR trade idea). It literally says one of the reasons they’re looking at wingers is they have Eichel at C, Mittelstadt at C and if he isn’t traded RoR at C and a black hole at wing for them.

RoR could be traded and part of that return could be flipped maybe. But none of it is saying RoR is going to be traded and the big piece coming back is a soon to be ufa winger.

Reactions: Grimm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad