Sabres Head Coach Search 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
NHL HC experience: Tippett, Nelson, Lambert (Associate HC), Boughner, Kevin Dineen, Martin, T. Richards

HC experience: Keefe, Velluchi, Knoblauch, Leaman

If we made of list of potential candidates that would except a head coaching job offer from Buffalo, would that list be longer or shorter than the list above?

Reactions: Chainshot

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I don't know why we put ourselves through these exercises where we get all excited only to be let down in piece by piece as the weeks go by. It's going to be Jacques Martin.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
They're not as bad as their recent records would indicate, but it also needs a lot of work before anyone can call it good.

It will be interesting to see what they can do with just going back to basic NHL defensive schemes and execution in their own zone. The middle 6 is still a scrap yard though.

Reactions: Fezzy126

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Who is this paul hamilton that said gronborg would get the job in sabres?

A radio beat reporter with a history of blame-and-shaming one player at a time for the team's woes. He has a hatred of Ristolainen and has for a long time. He hated on Reinhart for a time, O'Reilly, heck if you go back far enough Ryan Miller.

Reactions: Baccus and Fezzy126

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny
A radio beat reporter with a history of blame-and-shaming one player at a time for the team's woes. He has a hatred of Ristolainen and has for a long time. He hated on Reinhart for a time, O'Reilly, heck if you go back far enough Ryan Miller.

The best part is where he calls out "insiders" like Friedman for having a crap history of being right and saying "there's no way he'd know this unless he was in the room." The dude is a hack and a half.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
It will be interesting to see what they can do with just going back to basic NHL defensive schemes and execution in their own zone. The middle 6 is still a scrap yard though.

Yep, the second and third lines both need lots of help. When you look at a team like SJ, who has guys like Donskoi, Meier, Hertl, Labanc, Nyquist, Sorensen floating around their secondary lines, it's easy to see how far behind the Sabres are in that regard.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The best part is where he calls out "insiders" like Friedman for having a crap history of being right and saying "there's no way he'd know this unless he was in the room." The dude is a hack and a half.

Last week he said "The next time Elliote is right about the Sabres will be the first time." Meeeeoww! Hisssss! Catty much?

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Yep, the second and third lines both need lots of help. When you look at a team like SJ, who has guys like Donskoi, Meier, Hertl, Labanc, Nyquist, Sorensen floating around their secondary lines, it's easy to see how far behind the Sabres are in that regard.
While this is true, I still think coaching plays a huge role in making lines effective. Most of the 2nd-3rd line players who have been brought in (as well as depth defensemen and goalies) have looked worse with us than before/after us. Get someone who can coach, and suddenly the roster doesn't seem nearly as inept.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
While this is true, I still think coaching plays a huge role in making lines effective. Most of the 2nd-3rd line players who have been brought in (as well as depth defensemen and goalies) have looked worse with us than before/after us. Get someone who can coach, and suddenly the roster doesn't seem nearly as inept.

Sure, like I said, I don't think the roster is as bad as their recent records indicate, and a lot of that is coaching. The roster still needs a lot of work done to it, though.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

Completely agree, if you asked me 12 months ago what I thought of the Islanders players, I would not have been kind. I would have had them completing for a top 5 pick in the draft.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Our roster if Skinner goes to the UFA market, I think it is really bad and not proven because of young players.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Very true. Two teams hit the playoffs with Sabre castoffs from Housley coached teams playing minutes on their bluelines. Beaulieu's early season bounce back was the sort of feel-good, find this team needed and instead of getting playing time and a leash to have his tripping-over-the-boards moments, he got sent up to the pressbox while Scandella and later Hunwick got their teeth kicked in. And then there is Fedun... who went from useful 8 under Disco to all of 7 games under Phil in 1.5 seasons before going off for a 54-game run with the Stars.

Phil's deployment scheme that crushed O'Reilly last year fell to the unqualified Sobotka and the quietly effective Larsson this year. Splitting Reinhart to Mitts line was shown to have impact in chance generation for Mitts without difference to Reinhart or Eichel's productivity... which could give them a 2nd line that didn't need nearly 70% offensive zone deployment to still lose their GF/GA. His determined d-zone/o-zone splits crushed people. His inept d-zone system was easily seen for the terrible outcomes it produced and yet they stuck with it. His "shooting mentality" that was a veiled way of saying feed the point and let the defenseman take the shot without ever holding them to account for going to the net nor even how to work a low cycle on the mid-lines....

Okay, I clearly need to switch to decaf. :biglaugh:

The short version - Phil's system, combos and deployment all hurt an already weak roster. Maybe, just maybe a good coach can get more out of the very same group just through adjusting a few things.

Reactions: Montag DP

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
So I guess it’s fingers crossed for Tippett or Keefe?

Has been for a bit. There is encouraging news on both candidates, fortunately. Also lots for Jacques Martin, but I choose to ignore that possibility likelihood.

If Martin is chosen, Game of Thrones S8 continues as it has been, and I have to deal with 25% tariffs starting tomorrow, I may be done with humanity.

Reactions: Baccus

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Normaly this would be fair but when Bott's entire tenure has been a neverending Radio City Christmas Spectacular of **** Ups the likelihood that it would be the result of another **** up is pretty high. I have no confidence in this guy to do anything right at this point.
We have a sample size of one, he has hired one bad coach. I will reserve judgement until I see how the team performs next year.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Tippett is a dinosaur of a coach. Would not hire.

He is the exact opposite of a dinosaur

Dave Tippett hired to set up NHL Seattle's foundation - NHL to SEATTLE

Sports science, maximizing player potential, training, and player development are all things that Tippett wants to help establish in Seattle. Tippett talks at detail about studying player recovery, sleep, and nutrition as being important for any franchise to look at. With how much money a team invests into its players, making sure that they have state of the art facilities, training, coaching, and information is vital.

Tippett mentions a software system, called XOS, that he utilizes that allows him, or any coach, to watch every NHL game and break down individual players shifts, faceoffs, and shots. It’s all part of the evolution of hockey.

Tippett is on board with looking at other metrics to a degree. He likes some of it but is skeptical of others.

“It’s a useful tool,” he said. “I’ve done my own analytics program since I started coaching. I had a whole system that I’ve built through that XOS. Some numbers like Fenwick and Corsi, they’re garbage. They’re garbage because they come off the stats upstairs. Every stat that I keep comes off a video that I watch, a scoring chance that I’ve watched and whose involved in it.”

Dave Tippett And Thinking About Defense Differently

Every 10 games Coyotes coach Dave Tippett posts a report card on the wall. Players circle like hawks, eager to learn their score, where they stand.
These are not ordinary statistics. These are player-efficiency ratings, the evolution of a system born in Tippett's brain more than 15 years ago, a quantifiable look at how every member of the Coyotes spends his ice time.

This next part is gold with how he views things. Its from his junior days.
"We had a player that was supposed to be a great, shut-down defenseman. He was supposedly the be-all, end-all of defensemen. But when you did a 10-game analysis of him, you found out he was defending all the time because he can’t move the puck.

"Then we had another guy, who supposedly couldn’t defend a lick. Well, he was defending only 20 percent of the time because he’s making good plays out of our end. He may not be the strongest defender, but he’s only doing it 20 percent of the time
. So the equation works out better the other way. I ended up trading the other defenseman."

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
With Dallas out, how long until Stu Barnes becomes the guy?

Ha. Him and Boughner can join Ruff and Craig Ramsay in the Pegula Nexus Pass lane of alumni who get moved to the top of the line. Ex-Bylsma assistant Dave Barr is on Deboer's staff with the Sharks as well, he might be able to fake his way into that line too.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Last week he said "The next time Elliote is right about the Sabres will be the first time." Meeeeoww! Hisssss! Catty much?

The next time Paul Hamilton will be the first to report on a Sabres story, will be the first time.

For a guy that criticizes other media members, he sure likes to piggyback off stories from these media members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad