Sabres Head Coach Search 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
So again, if the dabbling leads to the SHL.... Rönnberg from Frölunda just won his third championship this decade, with his team's fourth championship appearance. He's got a U20 gold, a U20 silver.... just saying. Dude has a lot of the chops people ascribed to Grönborg but with all sorts of experience and success at the daily grind of league hockey.
Rönnberg is an Incredible coach.

Only man to win u20 gold for sweden.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
If the Leafs refused our request to talk to Keefe there is only one response for Botterill '**** you, stop me.'

Always been an unwritten rule in pro sports not to stand in the way of an employee to better the position he has.

IIRC, the Steelers have been preventing their employees from interviewing for higher positions.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Everyone that comes here gets paid well and treated well. It’s not their fault the people they’ve hired haven’t been able to do a proper job.

I agree very much with the first sentence. But faulty hires is absolutely their fault. On the football side of the house, they seem to be learning and operations appear to be steadily improving over time. On the hockey side, this next coaching hire could very well be a franchise defining moment; Either they get it right and the perception is that they're learning from their mistakes and we start making progress, or we get it wrong and the pitchforks come out from the local media and fanbase in full force.

In a situation that calls out for leadership and command, innovation and communication, the leading rumored candidate is... Jacques Martin?

Ummm, yay Pittsburgh?

I'm not ready to go to defcon 2 yet, could you at least wait until I've had my second cup of coffee?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
IIRC, the Steelers have been preventing their employees from interviewing for higher positions.

The contract Keefe and MLSE supposedly negotiate per Friedman has an NHL outclause. I don't think they can block him from interviewing for NHL jobs any longer.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I agree very much with the first sentence. But faulty hires is absolutely their fault. On the football side of the house, they seem to be learning and operations appear to be steadily improving over time. On the hockey side, this next coaching hire could very well be a franchise defining moment; Either they get it right and the perception is that they're learning from their mistakes and we start making progress, or we get it wrong and the pitchforks come out from the local media and fanbase in full force.

I'm not ready to go to defcon 2 yet, could you at least wait until I've had my second cup of coffee?

I was trying to be funny, rather than angry. If it's Martin, I may be joining my son in taking up with the Knights. Or just shifting allegiances to a team I can actually drive to in a normal work day to see.... the Lightning.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

When hiring 1st time guys luck is very important. You really don't know what you're getting. McDermott hire actually lead to Beane. If no McDermott then probably no Beane.

What they might have learned from football is its best to have management and head coach have a great relationship. So maybe that's what is happening now with Botterill and Martin.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
So now we're down to Keefe and Tippett as interesting options remaining. If the preference for NHL experience is legit, that basically leaves Tippett.

Why do I get the feeling I'm going to be disappointed when they actually hire someone...

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site

NHL head coaching experience or experience on a NHL staff?

Have to think Todd Nelson and Dave Tippett are at the top of the list then. Hopefully Lane Lambert too.

So the Sabres never even interviewed Gronborg. It doesn't look good for these "sources" that continue to be wrong with their "inside info".

Reactions: Rasmi

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
So the Sabres never even interviewed Gronborg. It doesn't look good for these "sources" that continue to be wrong with their "inside info".

I think part of the issue is teams have "informal discussions" with people which allows them to say they never officially "interviewed" somebody for whatever position. If they aren't under contract like Keefe and others, it's not a giant leap to guess that there's lots of informal talks about interest and what not.

Then there's the issue of 10 million reporters/bloggers on twitter that people aren't able to easily differentiate between good and bad sources at all. Take McLellan for example, the one Kings insider/twitter dude repeatedly said he was going to the Kings, and a couple people here kept saying it's just some idiot on twitter, because they can't tell if it's somebody who knows what's going on or not.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
NHL HC experience: Tippett, Nelson, Lambert (Associate HC), Boughner, Kevin Dineen, Martin, T. Richards

HC experience: Keefe, Velluchi, Knoblauch, Leaman

Reactions: Chainshot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad