Sabres Head Coach Search 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I think Dubas looked at what Vegas did and he's going to try and play a game where he doesn't lose Keefe to another club.
If Dubas blocks Keefe from interviewing, I hope Botts goes full retribution.
Trade with Carolina to get our 3rd in 2020 back: maybe small plus from Carolina for St. Louis' 2nd in 2020.
Offer sheet Johnsson at 4X3$ 2nd rd comp
If they match...
Hit Kapenen at 5x4$ 2nd rd comp
If they match
Hit Marner for 5x$10,148,302 1,1,2,3 Comp
If they are going to warehouse talent, bleed them dry.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Trade with Carolina to get our 3rd in 2020 back: maybe small plus from Carolina for St. Louis' 2nd in 2020.
If they match...
If they match

Botts is raised by the old boys club. He's not one to upset that.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
If they match...
If they match

I like this approach but the likelihood is that all three aren't willing to sign an offer sheet with the Sabres.

EDIT: sorry I worded that funny, didn't meant to say none of the three would be willing to sign an offer sheet. Meant that one or two of the three may not sign a sheet. This plan relies upon all three being willing to sign.

Last edited:

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
If they match...
If they match

You can turn off Fantasy Mode now.

Reactions: DatGuy

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
If they match...
If they match

There are 30 other teams in the NHL.

The leafs haven't won a playoff series in over a decade.

Beat them on the ice. I'm not opposed to an offersheet to turn the screws on them, but this "fire all cylinders" at them would be ill advised.

Reactions: Rasmi

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I just can't see Dubas letting Keefe get away. They've been tied together for awhile. I have no doubt that Dubas will do what needs to be done to keep Keefe in the organization, even if that means firing Babcock this summer. The cynic in me, though, thinks they're trying to wait out Ottawa and Buffalo so that Babcock doesn't stay in the division.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I just can't see Dubas letting Keefe get away. They've been tied together for awhile. I have no doubt that Dubas will do what needs to be done to keep Keefe in the organization, even if that means firing Babcock this summer. The cynic in me, though, thinks they're trying to wait out Ottawa and Buffalo so that Babcock doesn't stay in the division.

They’ll find a way to keep both. Babcock isn’t getting fired this offseason.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Grönborg continues to impress with his media interviews.

Agreed. Smart comments, professional answers, and clearly familiar with the Sabres system.

He did sound nervous, or maybe out of breath, like he had just exercised or something. Maybe he doesn’t like radio interviews.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Maybe Keefe will negotiate a contract with the Sabres just to have Toronto match that and pay him that much just to coach the Marlies :sarcasm:

Reactions: HaNotsri

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
He can just hire him as Leafs coach in 2 years after the Sabres fire him.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Come on, that's 99.9% of the NHL, if not 100%.

Point still remains.

I would love to see how the NHL would react to a guy if he handled being a GM like Belichick handles being a coach. Not just playing by the "honor system" but playing on the edge of the rules to gain a competitive advantage. Going through the rule book and playing the game of "well it's legal, but it shouldn't be". With how much "knowledge" Botts supposedly has about the CBA rulebook, I would've loved to have seen him being creative (but stay within the rules) to help us gain any advantage with getting guys off the roster.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Agreed. Smart comments, professional answers, and clearly familiar with the Sabres system.

He did sound nervous, or maybe out of breath, like he had just exercised or something. Maybe he doesn’t like radio interviews.

I didn't get that he sounded nervous. *shrug*

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Point still remains.

I would love to see how the NHL would react to a guy if he handled being a GM like Belichick handles being a coach. Not just playing by the "honor system" but playing on the edge of the rules to gain a competitive advantage. Going through the rule book and playing the game of "well it's legal, but it shouldn't be". With how much "knowledge" Botts supposedly has about the CBA rulebook, I would've loved to have seen him being creative (but stay within the rules) to help us gain any advantage with getting guys off the roster.
Part of it is strategy though. If offer sheets start becoming a normal thing it wouldn't be good for GM's. Right now they pretty much control RFAs.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Point still remains.

Even if Botts found these CBA loopholes... what makes you think he'd use them to exit players he's intentionally acquired?

The first step is getting more hockey people (advisors, scouts, coaches) and analytics people in the building to inform our dope GM... then he can use his big brain to find the loop holes needed to undo his mistakes.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The Borg interview blew me away. I'm still trying to find that damn dog and get back to Kansas. When asked what type of coach he is, what type of system he runs he responded "Assess what kind of team you have and look at the strengths of your team before you do anything. Have a game plan that plays into your strengths." (paraphrase). What kind of crazy radical Swedish talk is that? I was disappointed that Howard didn't bring up the elephant in the room. You all know what I'm talking about. The beard issue. The Sabres are a no beard team.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
The Borg interview blew me away. I'm still trying to find that damn dog and get back to Kansas. When asked what type of coach he is, what type of system he runs he responded "Assess what kind of team you have and look at the strengths of your team before you do anything. Have a game plan that plays into your strengths." (paraphrase). What kind of crazy radical Swedish talk is that? I was disappointed that Howard didn't bring up the elephant in the room. You all know what I'm talking about. The beard issue. The Sabres are a no beard team.
I also liked his emphasis on putting a system in place for getting back puck possession, which was an area where all sabres not named Eichel or Skinner have struggled or were completely incompetent.

edit - oh and to your point, could you imagine having a coach who is able to evaluate our player's strengths and weaknesses and actually playing them in those roles so they actually have a better chance for success? I can't, but Gronborg sounds like he would help us dare to dream.

Reactions: Baccus

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Let's all agree.... it's Gronborg or bust now.
I am not completely soured on botts (and i think others have every right to do so) and i am giving him this offseason to wow me before i say "you had your chance, move along." A Gronborg hire would really help get him off on the right foot in my opinion. I just don't see it from him. I see him playing it safe and going with Tippet or Martin.

I hope for a Gronborg hire.
I would accept a Gronborg hire with Martin or a Tippet (i don't think he goes for this) as an associate coach.
I would grudgingly accept, but be 100% unimpressed with Gronborg in as an assistant coach and heir apparent to a Martin or a Tippet.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Most coaches say that, its not a unique thought in the slightest. It’s only refreshing for us because we’ve had nothing but garbage coaching.

Reactions: Sabre the Win

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

He was choosing his words very carefully. Notice how he evaded answering if he was interviewed by Botterill, or even the Rangers a year ago. They all remember how Ted Nolan turned a done deal no deal by spilling the beans. Anyone remember which team that was? lol

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
He was choosing his words very carefully. Notice how he evaded answering if he was interviewed by Botterill, or even the Rangers a year ago. They all remember how Ted Nolan turned a done deal no deal by spilling the beans. Anyone remember which team that was? lol
Professional etiquette seems important to him. I also thought he was rather pointed about saying "a position in the NHL" not "a head coaching position in the NHL." i am probably reading way too deep into that, but it caught my attention nonetheless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad