Not open for further replies.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Sabres coach search update 5-1

Dave Tippett - Sabres Interview reported

Sheldon Keefe - Still active in AHL playoffs, unclear if will be allowed to interview or elevated to Maple Leafs

Rickard Gronberg - Coaching Team SWE in World Championships this month

Nate Leaman - Providence College

Jacques Martin - Interviewed OTW job

Todd Richards - Tampa Assistant
if I'm Richards theres no way I'm leaving Tampa for buffalo, not for at least 2 more years

Reactions: brian_griffin

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I disagree about getting more out of Jack or Sam, or either Rasmus for that matter. They made the league on their offensive chops, now there is opportunity to get better in their overall game. That sort of development has been lacking so far in their careers and that's a failing of consecutive coaches.

Agree. Sakic was at the top of his game offensively in the late 90's and made a point of learning how to play defense. Still recall him telling folks what hard work it was. Geez, he had just won the Conn Symth!

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I want Keefe so bad, a young coach not even 40 yet, who can lead us back to the playoffs and be here for 10+ years.

Look at the list of players who have and are flourishing under him.

Nylander
Kapanen
Hyman
Brown
Johnsson
Moore
Dermott
Grunstrom
Leivo
Sandin
Rosen
Bracco

Good scouting, good organization sure but Keefe has to be given ample credit.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I want Keefe so bad, a young coach not even 40 yet, who can lead us back to the playoffs and be here for 10+ years.

Look at the list of players who have and are flourishing under him.

Nylander
Kapanen
Hyman
Brown
Johnsson
Moore
Dermott
Grunstrom
Leivo
Sandin
Rosen
Bracco

Good scouting, good organization sure but Keefe has to be given ample credit.
Yes, Keefe seems like a very interesting option, but will it be available? Dubas certainly do not want to let him go and maybe see him in the role of head coach of TML in the coming years.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
Tippett is the best of what’s left for me. He doesn’t the to be the “one”. His defensive prowess is good for this team. He can teach this team to play hard with proper defence and maybe get us into the playoffs one of the next two years. Once this team learns how to play defence then bring in an offensive coach to get us to the next level.

It’s going to take more than one offseason to turn this team around.

To me it’s much like signing Skinner. We need him now to be competitive. In a couple of years when the team has improved you move on.

What this team needs now is proven structure. You need to lay the foundations before you can start playing with the framework.

Last edited:

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
The Marlies dominated Cleveland last night to take a 1-0 series lead. So those hoping for them to be out of the playoffs soon are probably gonna have to wait a bit longer. I have to imagine they win that series and likely face off against Charlotte, the best team in the AHL during the regular season.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Yes, Keefe seems like a very interesting option, but will it be available? Dubas certainly do not want to let him go and maybe see him in the role of head coach of TML in the coming years.

I strongly doubt they can prevent him from interviewing for an NHL Head Coach job.

Regardless of what some people here believe.

Assistants and minor coaches always seem to always have an NHL out in their contract that allows them to interview for that kind of promotion.

If he hasn’t interviewed with the Sabres yet, it’s either because he’s still busy coaching or because Botterill isn’t interested, not because TML are preventing it.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I strongly doubt they can prevent him from interviewing for an NHL Head Coach job.

Regardless of what some people here believe.

Assistants and minor coaches always seem to always have an NHL out in their contract that allows them to interview for that kind of promotion.

If he hasn’t interviewed with the Sabres yet, it’s either because he’s still busy coaching or because Botterill isn’t interested, not because TML are preventing it.
No, I understand that it's unlikely that TML can stop him from interviewing Keefe, it's just that he may have some kind of verbal agreement with Dubas that if Babcock leaves or gets fired, Keefe is next in his place.

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
Haven't they prevented him from interviews the past 2 seasons ? Or does his new contract allow it now ?

Of course they can promote him to Leafs ast or hc also. If Smith takes a hc job that leaves the a opening.

No, I understand that it's unlikely that TML can stop him from interviewing Keefe, it's just that he may have some kind of verbal agreement with Dubas that if Babcock leaves or gets fired, Keefe is next in his place.

Last edited:

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
From Friedman's 31 thoughts...

11. OK, Toronto. The No. 1 thing the Maple Leafs are going to work on: eliminate the drama. In that market, it is unavoidable, but you can’t pour gasoline on the fire. Much of that will be eased by the necessary roster decisions, since contracts are at the heart of so many public and private debates.
The coach and GM have to figure out if their differing philosophies allow them to continue together. If Buffalo (or anyone else) comes calling for Keefe, does that force Toronto to make a decision? There’s speculation the Maple Leafs would add Keefe as an assistant if they lost Smith or Jim Hiller, but that’s like playing with nitroglycerine and hoping it doesn’t explode. (Hiller has another year under contract, but there are a few teams interested). My personal belief was that Mike Babcock returns for next season, but now I’m not sure. Let’s just say, for argument’s sake, that Buffalo asks to speak to him. What happens then?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
From Friedman's 31 thoughts...

11. OK, Toronto. The No. 1 thing the Maple Leafs are going to work on: eliminate the drama. In that market, it is unavoidable, but you can’t pour gasoline on the fire. Much of that will be eased by the necessary roster decisions, since contracts are at the heart of so many public and private debates.
The coach and GM have to figure out if their differing philosophies allow them to continue together. If Buffalo (or anyone else) comes calling for Keefe, does that force Toronto to make a decision? There’s speculation the Maple Leafs would add Keefe as an assistant if they lost Smith or Jim Hiller, but that’s like playing with nitroglycerine and hoping it doesn’t explode. (Hiller has another year under contract, but there are a few teams interested). My personal belief was that Mike Babcock returns for next season, but now I’m not sure. Let’s just say, for argument’s sake, that Buffalo asks to speak to him. What happens then?

Talking to Keefe is a lot cheaper than signing Marner to an OS.

Just saying....

:naughty:

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
It really shouldn't be an "if Buffalo talks to him", it should be "when Buffalo talks to him". If Botts doesn't at least make an attempt to interview Keefe when he's done in the playoffs, that's a problem.
If the Leafs fire Babcock, I’d love to bring him in for an interview, they tell him to F off.

Does Yzerman bring Babcock back to Detroit?

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Lapinski: Tippett is a 'top-five coach in the right situation'

It's been nearly a month since Phil Housley was relieved of his duties as the head coach of the Buffalo Sabres.

Various names have been added and subtracted from the coaching mix since April 7. The latest names that have been rumored to be top candidates include Swedish men's national ice hockey coach Rikard Grönborg, long-time NHL head coach Jacques Martin, Toronto Marlies head coach Sheldon Keefe in the American Hockey League, and more recently Dave Tippett; former head coach of the Arizona Coyotes.

Tippett and the Coyotes mutually agreed to part ways in June of 2017, and he currently serves as a senior advisor to the Seattle NHL team ownership group. Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman confirmed on Tuesday that Buffalo has interviewed Tippett for the team's head coaching vacancy.

Coyotes radio host Luke Lapinski took some time on Wednesday to join Mike Schopp and the Bulldog to talk about Tippett during his tenure with the Coyotes.

Here is some of what he had to say:

5-1: Luke Lapinski talks Dave Tippett with Schopp and the Bulldog (7:44)

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
lol the Leafs can't force Keefe as an assistant on Babcock, especially in Toronto, would be a sideshow that blows up into an epic disaster.

It's like a middle aged husband announcing to his wife 'I've got grrrrreat news honey. I hired us a live in nanny. She's 23 years old, an amazing girl, a former bikini model, speaks 4 languages, has a masters degree in Human Sexuality, loves children and older men!'

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

Dave Tippett interview from that same podcast. They mentioned they were interviewing him in that Doan segment, so I went and looked for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad