Confirmed with Link: Sabres have signed Lawrence Pilut (LD, HV71)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
He'll come up when it's time, we already have 7 defensemen jockeying for 6 spots in the lineup and there's no reason to mess with what's working when both teams are winning.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
He'll come up when it's time, we already have 7 defensemen jockeying for 6 spots in the lineup and there's no reason to mess with what's working when both teams are winning.
I always hate that line of thinking. Always try and make the team better. Our D can be a lot better.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I always hate that line of thinking. Always try and make the team better. Our D can be a lot better.
I'm less interested in making the NHL team better right now and far more interested in making both teams good in the short and especially long term...that's how you win Cups. Pittsburgh let Guentzel play 33 games in the AHL before bringing him up, and look what happened with him. There just isn't any rush with Pilut, he'll come up when it's time for him to come up and his play will dictate whether he stays or not. It's been 15 AHL games and 20 NHL games, there's a whole lot of hockey left.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I'm less interested in making the NHL team better right now and far more interested in making both teams good in the short and especially long term...that's how you win Cups. Pittsburgh let Guentzel play 33 games in the AHL before bringing him up, and look what happened with him. There just isn't any rush with Pilut, he'll come up when it's time for him to come up and his play will dictate whether he stays or not. It's been 15 AHL games and 20 NHL games, there's a whole lot of hockey left.
That's how I feel. Your previous post was different though. If the team was struggling I wouldn't want to make Pilut the savior. That would be a recipe for disaster. If I had to chose a time to bring him up it would be when the team is winning and he can work his way in slowly

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
That's how I feel. Your previous post was different though. If the team was struggling I wouldn't want to make Pilut the savior. That would be a recipe for disaster. If I had to chose a time to bring him up it would be when the team is winning and he can work his way in slowly
I think we're saying the same thing. To me, the worst thing we could do is bring Pilut up to take Nelson's spot in the rotation for the #6 spot with Beaulieu. He needs to be playing and building NA confidence, whether that's in the AHL or the NHL. He's easily earned the first injury callup spot, and it'll happen soon I'm sure.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I think he's an absolute stud and our best prospect. I was blown away by how good he was in preseason when I saw him in person, he's best attribute is how smart he is.

Reactions: Reddawg

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

Good point about guentzel. Wouldn't surprise me if botts is trying to replicate that exactly. Could be a bit different with a dman

Reactions: Reddawg

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Im impressed with him since his callup.. Been able to see a couple of Sabres games and he looks good.. Picked up an assist today and is getting alot of mins

No PP time yet but i am looking forward to when he does

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Im impressed with him since his callup.. Been able to see a couple of Sabres games and he looks good.. Picked up an assist today and is getting alot of mins

No PP time yet but i am looking forward to when he does

My only fear with him picking up PP time would be the implication: that enough of Risto, Dahlin, Bogo, McCabe, or Beaulieu are on the shelf to warrant him seeing the point. He may deserve it, but seeing it? That remains to be seen.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
My only fear with him picking up PP time would be the implication: that enough of Risto, Dahlin, Bogo, McCabe, or Beaulieu are on the shelf to warrant him seeing the point. He may deserve it, but seeing it? That remains to be seen.
I’d like to try Eichel-Pilut-Dahlin with a lot of mobility and changing the quarterback both ways. Pilut is really good when it comes to opening passes and shots for deflections but his slapper is not up to snuff on the NHL level even though it was useful in the SHL last season.
My biggest gripe with Sabres PP is lack of movement.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I’d like to try Eichel-Pilut-Dahlin with a lot of mobility and changing the quarterback both ways. Pilut is really good when it comes to opening passes and shots for deflections but his slapper is not up to snuff on the NHL level even though it was useful in the SHL last season.
My biggest gripe with Sabres PP is lack of movement.

The PP is soooo easy to defend -- compensate to Jack primarily and watch the low triangle play to the slot presence (Skinner from Reinhart, Reinhart from Skinner). Everything else is just standing around, and that's easy to defend.

I like that Dahlin and Pilut both walk the line, which is going to draw defenders and move the diamond creating seams.

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden
It's interesting that his dad was born in Detroit.
And then turned out to be an icon for a club in Tingsryd in southern Sweden, a village of 3,000 inhabitants. Larry Pilut played with a guy named Patric Larsson, father of Oliver Ekman-Larsson. Mattias Samuelsson's father Kjell is also from that village and played for the same club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad