Confirmed with Link: Sabres have signed Lawrence Pilut (LD, HV71)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
One would assume his confidence came in pretty high, with the whole best defenseman award, including Dahlin, in the SHL. And then dropping a couple points a game for the first few weeks.

But ya, confidence building is cool.
His confidence was probably sky high after his preseason showing. He was a standout in every game in which he dressed, save for the last one, and he wasn’t bad in that.

He made the team out of camp if it were truly a “take your best 7 performers” competition without any extenuating or contractual circumstances coming into play.

He’s tearing it up and bubbling beneath the surface, and the big club hasn’t suffered adversely without him to this point.

I really, really want to see him play in the NHL soon. I was so excited with what I saw in preseason.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
His confidence was probably sky high after his preseason showing. He was a standout in every game in which he dressed, save for the last one, and he wasn’t bad in that.

He made the team out of camp if it were truly a “take your best 7 performers” competition without any extenuating or contractual circumstances coming into play.

He’s tearing it up and bubbling beneath the surface, and the big club hasn’t suffered adversely without him to this point.

I really, really want to see him play in the NHL soon. I was so excited with what I saw in preseason.

I feel he will.

When was the last time a team went through a season without one of the top 6 not being out 2 weeks due to injury

I don’t see buffalo even qualifying beaulieu. Him getting traded would open things up for Pilut. Pilut plays, Nelson sits.

I

Reactions: jBuds

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
AHL success in the same system is an important foundation for development of future NHL talent, but there certainly comes a time where a player's impact on the NHL club would likely outweigh that benefit down in the A.
There is no correlation between Ahl success and and nhl success at tbe organizational level. Individuals sure but having a championship farm guarantees nothing. Bring up talent. Send down dregs. That is what a farm is for.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
We’ve won 5 in a row and the Rochester team is doing well too there’s no need to change things up right now. If anything send down Thompson for smith (which should have been done 10 games ago). Once the big team enevitably starts struggling we can talk about Pilut. Otherwise let both teams keep winning!!!

But conversations like this have been sorely missed! I’m just glad both teams are doing good for once. I hope this is just the start.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
We’ve won 5 in a row and the Rochester team is doing well too there’s no need to change things up right now. If anything send down Thompson for smith (which should have been done 10 games ago). Once the big team enevitably starts struggling we can talk about Pilut. Otherwise let both teams keep winning!!!

But conversations like this have been sorely missed! I’m just glad both teams are doing good for once. I hope this is just the start.
Sure there is. We still have a lot of dead weigbt that can be replaced by better talent. The idea that skill needs to bake in the A is asinine. Bring up your best talent and let them learn at the highest level. If it is good enough for tnt who is at best a bottom six player, it should be good enough for Nylander, Pilut and Olofson who have higher pronected ceilings. If players get claimed so be it.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Pilut is ready but he’s not being hurt in any way staying down either. Might as well get the minutes there while he waits for injuries or moves. Nothing but good in his future.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
Sure there is. We still have a lot of dead weigbt that can be replaced by better talent. The idea that skill needs to bake in the A is asinine. Bring up your best talent and let them learn at the highest level. If it is good enough for tnt who is at best a bottom six player, it should be good enough for Nylander, Pilut and Olofson who have higher pronected ceilings. If players get claimed so be it.

We have gone through years of rushing prospects to the big show. How there is still a stomach for bringing kids up before they put the work in the AHL is beyond me. Is there dead weight on this team? yes. Is this a playoff team? No. Let the kids light it up in the A and give them the hunger to win in the big show.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rookie71

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
There is no correlation between Ahl success and and nhl success at tbe organizational level. Individuals sure but having a championship farm guarantees nothing. Bring up talent. Send down dregs. That is what a farm is for.

I'm not sure that's the case. A solid system-based approach on both levels can only make the transition from one level to the next easier.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

When Rochester was consistently good the Sabres were consistently good.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
We have gone through years of rushing prospects to the big show. How there is still a stomach for bringing kids up before they put the work in the AHL is beyond me. Is there dead weight on this team? yes. Is this a playoff team? No. Let the kids light it up in the A and give them the hunger to win in the big show.
kids? oloff and pilut are 23

Nedo801

Jul 13, 2017

Pilut is far from a kid though. That is the difference. 23 in a month with 3 seasons of pretty much dominating in SHL. Dahlin did not dominate SHL same way, to compare with something. So not rly a valid arguement on this guy.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Pilut is far from a kid though. That is the difference. 23 in a month with 3 seasons of pretty much dominating in SHL. Dahlin did not dominate SHL same way, to compare with something. So not rly a valid arguement on this guy.
He didn’t dominate the SHL for 3 seasons. He had a huge breakout year last season. I’m fairly certain he we got the inside track on signing him because we showed strong interest at the beginning of his huge season last year. Before he had shown himself to be a top dman in that league.

Pilut essentially has 1 season and 15 games of amazing play. Not 3 years. Not the end of the world if he works a little longer in the AHL.

Reactions: Goathead

Nedo801

Jul 13, 2017
He didn’t dominate the SHL for 3 seasons. He had a huge breakout year last season. I’m fairly certain he we got the inside track on signing him because we showed strong interest at the beginning of his huge season last year. Before he had shown himself to be a top dman in that league.

Pilut essentially has 1 season and 15 games of amazing play. Not 3 years. Not the end of the world if he works a little longer in the AHL.

If you watch pure numbers sure, if you watched him play..... was more then 15 matches and a season.

My point is....playing him in AHL to let him develop or cause he is young is kinda silly if we let Dahlin play directly.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

1 season + 15 games is way better track record than most of our defensemen.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
If you watch pure numbers sure, if you watched him play..... was more then 15 matches and a season.

My point is....playing him in AHL to let him develop or cause he is young is kinda silly if we let Dahlin play directly.

I didn’t say he needs to stay down. I said it’s not a big deal that he is.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I do think Buffalo should call him up soon to see how he fares in the NHL. This way, if they see him as real NHL material, they can plan to move one of their #5 or #6 dmen at the trade deadline...

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
He's doing well. The Sabres are doing well. I don't see a reason to force it at this point. Injuries are going to happen.

It's not so much forcing it as it is a natural progression. If he's a better player than a Sabres regular, imo he should take that spot.

Reactions: sabrebuild

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

poor management....

Yes you would like to have good teams at both levels. If you have a good team at the NHL level that would block players being rushed up from the AHL level.

in terms of promotion chances---there is definitie bias towards current GMs players he picked vs ones he inherited, and their is bias towards higher level picks vs lower level ones. a high 1st will get multiple call ups and chances vs a 4th round pick.

I don't believe in entirely blocking players from advancing to the NHL level by using filled roster players. I want a system where you reward good playing players with call ups. Its better for them to experience real NHL game hockey (not preseason) and have a call up so they know what they need to work on.

Buffalo does have some roster decisions to make this off season because they will have more waivrer exposed players next year/.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->