Sabres G Robin Lehner blasts teammates following loss

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
You guys need to get Eichel out of that dump and into Toronto for pennies on the dollar ASAP. Risto too.

How badly do Buffalo fans want Disco Dan out of there? I think a coach like Julien would be huge for the Sabres, but with how recently they brought in Bylsma I'm not sure I see a change coming too soon.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Better win next game, Lehner is angry.

Not but seriously i like how the Sabres key players have expressed their frustration this season, and not in a bad way, but in a way that they're trying to get the group going.

It's easier said than done to play a consistent game night in night out. Especially for the Sabres who have to work extremely hard to win a game. But at least the guys know what they have to do and hold themselves accountable for not doing it.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Better win next game, Lehner is angry.

Not but seriously i like how the Sabres key players have expressed their frustration this season, and not in a bad way, but in a way that they're trying to get the group going.

It's easier said than done to play a consistent game night in night out. Especially for the Sabres who have to work extremely hard to win a game. But at least the guys know what they have to do and hold themselves accountable for not doing it.

Maybe Lehner makes a point and lets in a few weak ones.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
You guys need to get Eichel out of that dump and into Toronto for pennies on the dollar ASAP. Risto too.

How badly do Buffalo fans want Disco Dan out of there? I think a coach like Julien would be huge for the Sabres, but with how recently they brought in Bylsma I'm not sure I see a change coming too soon.

At this point I think it's only a matter of time before Disco Dan is Disco Canned. :)naughty:) Lehner recently came out and said that the players are basically ignoring his game plans, and Eichel has come out a few times and talked about how badly he is coaching the team.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Sure, because playing your goalie for 5 games in 7 days after facing 200+ shots in the past 5 works so well for every team :help:. Lehner and Eichel have been saving this team's bacon for weeks. One soft goal doesn't change the fact that Lehner has been great.

There are many goalies that benefit from a lot of rubber. Not necessarily lehner, but hard to generalise on how mucha goalie should play or how sv% adjusts as the team improves/gets worse.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
I think Robin Lehner is a great example of a goaltender that's putting up pretty good numbers, while playing on a BAD defensive team. Most of Buffalo's goalies have been pretty good over the past few years, excluding Enroth a few years, who just isn't very good at all. He's a bum. Even Anders Nilsson has looked terrible and worthless at the NHL level, up until this year.

You can argue that the amount of shots faced has maybe inflated some of these guys save percentages, but all I read on here is about how all these goalies have crappy numbers because they play on teams with no defense or something. *Cough* Dallas Stars *Cough*.

I've also heard people say that Lehner isn't very good and I think it's a misconception. I heard Jeremy Roenick say on NBCSN a couple weeks ago that Buffalo needs a goaltender when they're ready to compete, since he's not really a believer in Robin Lehner. I think the goalie position is the last place that they need help, at least as of now.

lehtonen is actually 3rd place in the league in i think xGF so

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
https://buffalonews.com/2017/02/13/lehner-unloads-following-sabres-4-2-loss-canucks/

“We make two plays, score two goals and that’s about it. It’s not even disappointing anymore. I’m starting to get angry,†said Lehner, who couldn’t do much on any Vancouver goal. “This is all talk. We’ve got to look ourselves in the mirror here. It’s disrespectful. I think it’s disrespectful when we have a game plan and go through things."

You should probably worry about your own inability to stop the puck, champ.

Your own post even says he couldn't do much on any of the goals..?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
That's right buddy, fuel that fire. Increase that hate. Punch Bylsma in the face.

...then get traded to the Penguins for Fleury :)

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
"Yellow what are you doing. What are you doing yellow. **** you're so ****ing stupid. You're not a winger get back on defense. Yo bro leave the game. Leave the game you're not a winger. ****ing yellow"-Robin Lehner

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
That's right buddy, fuel that fire. Increase that hate. Punch Bylsma in the face.

...then get traded to the Penguins for Fleury :)

It sure seems like he has some sort of plan to force his way out of Buffalo. With Bylsma as his HC can he really be blamed? :laugh:

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Lehner is definitely a Tim Murray kind of player, passionate and no filter. GMTM is probably eating this up, no way does he view this as a reason to move Lehner. If anything, it's an excuse to extend him. No pee-pee slapping tonight.

EDIT: As a fan, I'm glad someone finally spoke up about the season so far. Should've been Bylsma though, and not the goalie. Guy is too passive for a young, rebuilding team.

Last edited:

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Lehner is definitely a Tim Murray kind of player, passionate and no filter. GMTM is probably eating this up, no way does he view this as a reason to move Lehner. If anything, it's an excuse to extend him. No pee-pee slapping tonight.

EDIT: As a fan, I'm glad someone finally spoke up about the season so far. Should've been Bylsma though, and not the goalie. Guy is too passive for a young, rebuilding team.

Bylsma makes Gandhi look like the Grim Reaper...

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
No but you see, when he makes 42 saves, lets in 2 goals and the team loses, it's totally his fault!
Ofcourse it is. Just like blaming coach for losing the games while offence misses all the shots, creates turnovers and defence just does wrong shifts.

Bobblebee

Formerly Optimus Reim
Dec 22, 2015
B.C.
He's got a fierce temper to him. Reminds me of Rask and Smith. Only way you can control it is with good stats and wins. One of those is coming easy for him, the other not so much.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Goalies should never criticize offense and how many goals his team scores. Do your job and keep it in the locker room. If you **** the bed you can bed your teammates wont come to your defense either.

Lehner has had plenty of bad games and would it be so horrible if a team member or coach came out and says he has to be better? it would be considered classless right? Goalies are untouchable these days and even immune from criticism from their own teams otherwise they have a hissy fit. He really should not be opening that can of worms.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Goalies should never criticize offense and how many goals his team scores. Do your job and keep it in the locker room.

I think some people are missing the context here. He's not calling out the team for poor play. He's criticizing them for not following the game plan in direct disobedience of the coach. He considers this as disrespectful, and is defending his coach.

Of course, by doing this, he inadvertently revealed to the fans and media that Bylsma has lost control of his team, and they don't follow the game plan and just do whatever they'd like.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Ofcourse it is. Just like blaming coach for losing the games while offence misses all the shots, creates turnovers and defence just does wrong shifts.

Maybe the coach should pull his head out of his ass and let the players play in a way that utilizes their skills properly instead of nullifying them.

Just a thought.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Sabres play 5 Dmen. That's why every goalie they've had the past few years have had awesome save percentages. It's a meaningless stat in their case. Lehner's a choker. In this game in particular he took a terrible penalty that led to the tying goal and then absolutely sucked the rest of the game. Nobody was more singularly responsible for the loss than he was. So long answer, yes.

Ignorant, but i consider the source.

That's just bad statement, champ. He has been keeping Buffalo up on their toes many nights. He and Mike Smith might have a nice cup of tea.

Exactly.

He was the sole reason Toronto didn't come back the other night when i was at that game but sucked something fierce against Anaheim.

He puts in more good games than bad. Every once in a while, he needs the team to be better to help get the win, but they fall short. He's far from perfect. But to say he flat out sucks in general or flat out is awesome in general is dumb. He's having a solid year. One in which can be better. But could also be a lot worse.

Coaching and quality of D are more times than not, the biggest reasons for the L this season. With a honorable mention to not enough offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad