Sabres G Robin Lehner blasts teammates following loss

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I think Robin Lehner is a great example of a goaltender that's putting up pretty good numbers, while playing on a BAD defensive team. Most of Buffalo's goalies have been pretty good over the past few years, excluding Enroth a few years, who just isn't very good at all. He's a bum. Even Anders Nilsson has looked terrible and worthless at the NHL level, up until this year.

You can argue that the amount of shots faced has maybe inflated some of these guys save percentages, but all I read on here is about how all these goalies have crappy numbers because they play on teams with no defense or something. *Cough* Dallas Stars *Cough*.

I've also heard people say that Lehner isn't very good and I think it's a misconception. I heard Jeremy Roenick say on NBCSN a couple weeks ago that Buffalo needs a goaltender when they're ready to compete, since he's not really a believer in Robin Lehner. I think the goalie position is the last place that they need help, at least as of now.

Wrong
He was unbelievable for the Oilers for about 20 games last season when Talbot wasn't performing. Most fans were really annoyed (especially me) when he was traded to make room for a rookie who was thought to be ready. So instead of playing 3 goalies he was traded for scraps... and now we need a backup.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Lehner has been very good this year. Not perfect, but who is? He has stabilized the crease and has every right to say what he said.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Reports are that Bylsma didn't lose the team, he never had them.

Sabres are a mess and you can see most nights that they don't play as a team, don't support each other, and look like a bunch of misfit parts.

I have no idea what Lehner is referring to as far as Sabres changing the game plan but noticed we are no longer doing the stupid stretch passes as much. Let's hope they keep ignoring Bylsma.

Sabres

Jan 15, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Whatever gets Bylsma fired sooner. If he's not the worst coach in the league he's certainly in the top 3.

This team is a mess though. Risto and ROR are gassed, it's noticeable in their play. At the beginning of the season Bylsma said he was going to play them less this year and I think they're both playing more? He has no idea what he's doing.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Whatever gets Bylsma fired sooner. If he's not the worst coach in the league he's certainly in the top 3.

This team is a mess though. Risto and ROR are gassed, it's noticeable in their play. At the beginning of the season Bylsma said he was going to play them less this year and I think they're both playing more? He has no idea what he's doing.

Did the Sabres have their bye week? If not, is there any chance he gets fired then? Or is Tim Murray pee pee slapping gun shy?

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Did the Sabres have their bye week? If not, is there any chance he gets fired then? Or is Tim Murray pee pee slapping gun shy?

5 day break next week. Hoping Dan gets canned. Terry Murray would be interim until a new coach could be brought in (Julien?). GMTM has been silent on all of this hot drama, so who knows where he stands.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
5 day break next week. Hoping Dan gets canned. Terry Murray would be interim until a new coach could be brought in (Julien?). GMTM has been silent on all of this hot drama, so who knows where he stands.

Julien or Gallant? One is the more well known commodity but Julien is probably going to have to wait till the off season as hes in high demand and the Bruins probably wont give permission for him to speak to a him in their Division.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I used to be a detractor but I feel like Lehner doesn't get enough credit for his play this year. He lets in some stinkers which is frustrating but his numbers are way better than anyone should expect them to be behind that team/defense.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Claude Julien please. Sabres still miss playoffs but next year when they can bury Ennis and Moulson and call up Guhle, Bailey, Baptiste, etc they will be competing for a spot.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Tim Murray probably needs to stop slapping pee pee's and do something about it I guess or perhaps Lehner needs to understand that like him there are players learning and they are going to go through these dry spells. They were in last place only 2 seasons ago.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
I didn't know that 6th in the league in SV% is garbage play now...

What an absolute garbage post OP!

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Tim Murray probably needs to stop slapping pee pee's and do something about it I guess or perhaps Lehner needs to understand that like him there are players learning and they are going to go through these dry spells. They were in last place only 2 seasons ago.

Bylsma is a magician casting the dry spell over the whole team though. Thankfully Eichel seems to be immune.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
At this point I think it's only a matter of time before Disco Dan is Disco Canned. :)naughty:) Lehner recently came out and said that the players are basically ignoring his game plans, and Eichel has come out a few times and talked about how badly he is coaching the team.

Yikes...

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The idea that a player has the right to throw his teammates under the bus just because he's played ok himself is absolutely absurd. You win as a team, you lose as a team.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
The idea that a player has the right to throw his teammates under the bus just because he's played ok himself is absolutely absurd. You win as a team, you lose as a team.

Eichel said the exact same thing in an interview yesterday but it hasn't been true for the Sabres this season. Most of their wins are results of individual heroics.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
No player should ever publicly criticize his goalie. No good can possibly come of it.

The corollary to that is a goalie should keep his yap shut about his team's play. Didn't Lehner get the memo?

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
At this point I think it's only a matter of time before Disco Dan is Disco Canned. :)naughty:) Lehner recently came out and said that the players are basically ignoring his game plans, and Eichel has come out a few times and talked about how badly he is coaching the team.

What did he say? Do you have any links to quotes or can you at least give a general idea of what he said? I'm really inter step to read it. Thanks.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
Dan Bylsma took a Stanley Cup Finalist with elite scoring and a good cycle game, made them a little more defensively responsible and kept the lines steady, and won a Cup. In the following five years he emphasized the veterans playing the existing system and failed to transition a single new young player into any regular role outside of Olli Maatta's rookie year, which was Bylsma's last.

What I'm saying is that that's definitely the guy I'd get to whip some young guys into shape and turn them into challengers. Honestly, that's more of a Michel Therrien type of thing...

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Maybe time to reevaluate the coaching choice for this team. In an Eichel vs. Bylsma feud, the winner should be obvious.

Yup. Even if Bylsma were a good coach, franchise player still wins, but he's not even. If you're being generous, the best assessment you could give is that he's below league average.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Sabres play 5 Dmen. That's why every goalie they've had the past few years have had awesome save percentages. It's a meaningless stat in their case. Lehner's a choker. In this game in particular he took a terrible penalty that led to the tying goal and then absolutely sucked the rest of the game. Nobody was more singularly responsible for the loss than he was. So long answer, yes.

Oh?
So historically guys like Barraso, Hasek and Miller's stats were all an illusion? LOL

Some people will never get it, Buffalo produces great net menders, hands down the best goalie churning machine the last 30 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad