GDT: Sabres @ Devils 7 PM EST TV: MSG Radio: WGR550

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
Just when you think you’ve seen the bottom of the barrel with this team, and you begin to feel the hope of winning… you get knocked down to yet another deeper darker hole of ****

Now the fun young scoring team that just needed a little more effort and focus on D. Still cant play D and now they can’t score and they absolutely arent fun.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I was so livid with what happened tonight I almost thought about sitting through the entire shitshow and then waiting until after the game to give the players and coaches a piece of my mind as they got on the bus.

Deleted member 346512

I'm still shocked by this performance even though I've slept for several hours now. I can't remember such a bad performance from the Sabres in recent years.
Something is going very wrong internally. Thompson didn't get anything going until his injury, Tuch also mostly plays below his potential and I don't even want to get started on Cozens. Peterka is the strongest forward at the moment, that says it all. The top 6 practically does not exist. The defense was far too inconsistent, sometimes as seen last night it was like a pile of chickens. Nothing is right there. Power and Samuelsson are total failures, I also hoped for more from Clifton. Only Dahlin performs reasonably well.

I've already mentioned it several times, Granato is the wrong coach. All that coaching stuff belongs away. You shouldn't perform like that, especially not when you've seen how the team and many players have developed over the last 1 1/2 years. That's not one step back, that's two steps back compared to last season. Does they want to wait again until it's too late to win the last games and thus deprive herself of a good draft position?!

What is needed now is an experienced coach who knows how to deliver under pressure, can adapt the players to it and, if necessary, can raise his voice if the players do not do what is required. Granato is the wrong one, as you can probably see.
But I'm afraid he'll be allowed to carry on. Adams is known to prefer the wait-and-see approach. Plus they both love each other way too much. Just wondering what the goals of this franchise are. Buddies for life or sporting success?

I'm sticking with it... that won't happen with the playoffs this year either. I'm already looking forward to hearing the excuses why it didn't work again. We've been going in circles for 13 years. A neverending story

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Honestly, I don't mind the loss its expected we wont win every game.

For me its the way it happens. On and off the ice. Its a complete clown show.

How many years do Adams and Granato need to put a competitive team on the ice? Have the team ready to play?

We got two guys who won nothing running the show.

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
If we are the youngest team in the league then we should at least play exciting.

We do not play exciting, but if that's the case then it would be a acceptable if we played defensively. We are trash defensively.

This team is awful. It is a struggle in every aspect of the game. The team is unprepared for every opponent, and every opponent is prepared for us. The mistakes we make are lazy and inexcusable. Things we have struggled with have not been adjusted or worked on.

This should have been the final nail on Granato.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I guess the most frustrating thing is they lost the offense that made them an exciting team to watch.
I wonder why all the top guys underperformed to start the season, its on the core minus Mittelstadt & Peterka who kept up their play or improved, everyone else regressed.
Is it a new system they are trying to implement?
Should they have brought in some seasoned vets for the bottom 6?
I mean they will eventually get it but its not acceptable to miss the playoffs this season.
I still think that concept with going with mostly young FW is not working, they don't know how to win or to keep it up or to prepare, they need to insulate the lineup with some winners to show them how its done.
Their lack of physical play is also concerning.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
It wasn't enjoyable to watch by any means but I don't know what we can realistically expect out of the youngest team in the league that has played a grand total of zero games together running five defensemen deep in front of our #3 goalie on the back half of a 2 in 2 on the road against a potent offense without our entire top PK unit.

I just know I bet and cashed the over, lol.

Tijuana Donkey Show

Mar 14, 2023
I have thought about switching Owen Power to wing a couple of times this season. But obviously the correct answer is to let him develop as a D. He does need some Adam Sandler Happy Gilmore in front of the pitching machine style treatment to make him less contact averse though.

And what, move Dylan Cozens even further down the depth chart?

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site

Harrington being the voice of reason? Ok then

The difference with those teams is that they are all winning teams and comfortably in playoff spots (Colorado leads the central).

A one off for them is exactly to Harrington’s point.

We’ve played consistently bad hockey almost all year and regressed significantly from last year and find ourselves under 500.

The only positive stat I can find is that we’re 3-0 when Bryson plays :sarcasm:

Deleted member 346512

If he thought about it a bit, he would know that it's not about this one game. The whole performance since the start of the season is not right. An experienced insider like Harrington should be able to assess this correctly or has he not seen the 20 games before?

Reactions: Snippit

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The difference with those teams is that they are all winning teams and comfortably in playoff spots (Colorado leads the central).

A one off for them is exactly to Harrington’s point.

We’ve played consistently bad hockey almost all year and regressed significantly from last year and find ourselves under 500.

The only positive stat I can find is that we’re 3-0 when Bryson plays :sarcasm:
Bryson!

The key to unlocking it all!

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
If he thought about it a bit, he would know that it's not about this one game. The whole performance since the start of the season is not right. An experienced insider like Harrington should be able to assess this correctly or has he not seen the 20 games before?
This. Yes, games like that happen. The performances though have been sub par all season.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He’s just talking about the fact that teams have these types of games. None of it negates the issues the team is dealing with. He was responding to some people acting like its the worst lost in hockey ever or similar hyperbole.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Im glad I bailed on this one after the 1st period. It's gotten much easier to turn off the Sabres and do something else over the years. I wonder if people just pushing the Sabres completely out of their mind is what most casual fans have done, forget Buffalo has a hockey team at all.

Deleted member 346512

He’s just talking about the fact that teams have these types of games. None of it negates the issues the team is dealing with. He was responding to some people acting like its the worst lost in hockey ever or similar hyperbole.
Maybe, but to me it reads more like he wanted to excuse previous achievements by comparing Colorado and Canes. Of course you can lose, but yesterday bordered on refusing to work. That's a bit worrying

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Maybe, but to me it reads more like he wanted to excuse previous achievements by comparing Colorado and Canes. Of course you can lose, but yesterday bordered on refusing to work. That's a bit worrying
It’s been a problem all season that our best players haven’t shown up and played to the level they’re capable of.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015

Losing 8-2 when you carried play the majority of the game and puck luck was insanely against you is something that happens to even the best teams a few times a season.

Nobody gets blown out as badly as the Sabres did on the stat sheet last night. Not even the 2007-2022 Buffalo Sabres have had a worse SCF% than we did last night. We quite literally set a new franchise low.

72-31 corsi
38-12 shots
46-9 scoring chances for 16.36% Sabres worst performance in this stat since natural stat trick began tracking it in the 2007-2008 season.
19-5 high danger shot attempts

Reactions: sabremike

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I talked to Matty Ellis in between periods and he told me he shouldn’t be fired because the PP is finally getting together and Mr Pegula said so.

Im glad I bailed on this one after the 1st period. It's gotten much easier to turn off the Sabres and do something else over the years. I wonder if people just pushing the Sabres completely out of their mind is what most casual fans have done, forget Buffalo has a hockey team at all.
Fans will come back if this team starts competing again. But I have the feeling it’s gonna take more than just breaking the drought to get consistent sell outs again. Especially if this team falls on its face after some hype behind it… again

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Losing 8-2 when you carried play the majority of the game and puck luck was insanely against you is something that happens to even the best teams a few times a season.

Nobody gets blown out as badly as the Sabres did on the stat sheet last night. Not even the 2007-2022 Buffalo Sabres have had a worse SCF% than we did last night.

72-31 corsi
38-12 shots
46-9 scoring chances for 16.36% Sabres worst performance in this stat since natural stat trick began tracking it in the 2007-2008 season.
19-5 high danger shot attempts
No matter how many of you try to nitpick this to death, Last night is not representative of who they are as a team.

Stating that does not change the fact that they are a team with issues that need to be worked through.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
No matter how many of you try to nitpick this to death, Last night is not representative of who they are as a team.

Stating that does not change the fact that they are a team with issues that need to be worked through.
How is pointing out that last night was a historically poor performance, rather than a one off bad puck luck performance “nit picking it to death”?

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I talked to Matty Ellis in between periods and he told me he shouldn’t be fired because the PP is finally getting together and Mr Pegula said so.

Fans will come back if this team starts competing again. But I have the feeling it’s gonna take more than just breaking the drought to get consistent sell outs again. Especially if this team falls on its face after some hype behind it… again
Lindy calls Matt Ellis still follows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad