Proposal: Sabres | Blackhawks

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Skinner was just voted the #2 worst contract in the league and you think him/B level prospect gets a guy who had 110 points two seasons ago and was on pace for 98 last year?

It'll be considered a bad contract until Skinner scores 40G again this year - now that's he's actually healthy (there was an unreported shoulder or core issue he played through last year for sure.. He had nothing on his shot for most of the year) and playing with an actual offensive NHL centre instead of Mojo the goals will come again... $9M AAV will look pretty reasonable for that type of production...

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
It'll be considered a bad contract until Skinner scores 40G again this year - now that's he's actually healthy (there was an unreported shoulder or core issue he played through last year for sure.. He had nothing on his shot for most of the year) and playing with an actual offensive NHL centre instead of Mojo the goals will come again... $9M AAV will look pretty reasonable for that type of production...

I don't think its ever going to look all that reasonable. But yes, I hope and somewhat expect that Skinner will return to being an excellent goal scorer and at least make that contract tolerable for the next handful of years. Over the course of his career, last year is the anomaly.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
This is about as bad as it gets.

If the Hawks are looking to move Kane as a part of their rebuild they would require 1st round picks and high end prospects.

Reactions: Sinbad

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I get your overall point, but forgive me if I don't take that poll seriously. There is FAR more than 1 player around the league with a worse contract than Skinner. There are a bunch of guys who are in their 30s, already bordering on replacement level, and have several years left with high AAVs. Skinner is in his 20s and scored 40 goals a year ago. The not-stupid money says he'll perform much closer to his contract value over the remaining years than, e.g., Marc Vlasic.

No don't you get it, Skinner had a bad 40 games and now is worthless. It doesn't matter he is an elite 5v5 goal scorer coming off a 40 goal season.

Cannot wait for Skinner to pot 30-40 this year like he usually does.If people did any research Skinner scored 11 goals his first 28 games last year (30+ goal pace) and played with a garbage RW and a career .5 ppg winger as his center.Oh and he got under 17 min a game. Before this year Skinner had 5 out of 6 years with 24+ goals and 4 out of 6 with 28+. Skinner scored 11 in the first 28 this past year and then had a 3 goals in 31 game stretch the rest of the season.

Yep, that proves it. Guy coming off a 40 goal season who got minimal ice time and no talent the next year and still was scoring over a 30 goal pace the first 1/3rd of the season hits injuries and a cold streak and is now worthless. Never change HF.

Don't worry, Skinner now that he will have actual talent to play with will score his usual 30-35 goals. Cannot wait to see Skinner play with a real center again, not Marcus f***ing Johansson.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Chicago is embarking on a rebuild.. they will want young players, prospects, or picks.

Buffalo is still rebuilding, they need to hold onto young players, prospects or picks.

There is no fit with these teams, at the current time. Buffalo isn't at the point, where adding a Kane, puts them over the finish line.

Reactions: AzHawk

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I'm a neutral fan but with the Blackhawks going with a rebuild, I thought Buffalo going after the hometown kid could be unique and interesting.

To BUF:

Patrick Kane

To CHI:

Jeff Skinner
Rasmus Asplund (?) (Or another B level prospect)

May be the deal could be extended to include Duncan Keith and one of the Sabres d-men (Miller?). Keith could help mentor Dahlin. I don't know, just a thought.

I'd love to see a Hall - Eichel - Kane line :popcorn:

So basically it’s Kane for a dump and Asplund.. surprised we aren’t throwing in DeBrincat and Boqvist while we are at it. Terrible

Reactions: Pertti and AzHawk

Pitter Patter

May 20, 2020
This is just brutal for Chicago.
On behalf of all Hawks fans everywhere, I politely request a moratorium on Blackhawks trade offers.

Reactions: wahsnairb

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
As a Sabres fan it would take SOOO much to get Kane:

I’d offer:
RW- Sam Reinhart
D- Colin Miller
*or Ristolainen, Chicago’s Choice*
D- Ryan Johnson
RW- Jack Quinn
2022 1st Round pick

basically Reinhart, a defenseman, a top-10 pick(Quinn) another 1st round pick (Johnson) and a future 1st Round Pick.

I don’t know if this would be enough but I hope it’s a solid attempt.

Reactions: Pertti

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

It was never reasonable. You don’t pay Skinner in the same ball park as Tarasenko, Kucherov, Kane, Draisaitl, etc. Skinner is too one dimensional and too much of a black hole defensively for that contract to be reasonable. Considering even if he scores 40 again he would probably only have like 10 assists and be a -16. Buffalo overpaid him to stay since nobody wants to live in Buffalo

Reactions: DarthProbert

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'm a neutral fan but with the Blackhawks going with a rebuild, I thought Buffalo going after the hometown kid could be unique and interesting.

To BUF:

Patrick Kane

To CHI:

Jeff Skinner
Rasmus Asplund (?) (Or another B level prospect)

May be the deal could be extended to include Duncan Keith and one of the Sabres d-men (Miller?). Keith could help mentor Dahlin. I don't know, just a thought.

I'd love to see a Hall - Eichel - Kane line :popcorn:

Oh boy. I'm sure Chicago would like to 7 more years of less production with a full NMC to save ::checks notes::

1 M in cap space.

The Skinner contract is untradable.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Counter:

Cozens
1st round pick
Borgen

and one cap dump with a short contract to help with the Sabres cap: Eakin, Montour, Miller?

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
No don't you get it, Skinner had a bad 40 games and now is worthless. It doesn't matter he is an elite 5v5 goal scorer coming off a 40 goal season.

Cannot wait for Skinner to pot 30-40 this year like he usually does.If people did any research Skinner scored 11 goals his first 28 games last year (30+ goal pace) and played with a garbage RW and a career .5 ppg winger as his center.Oh and he got under 17 min a game. Before this year Skinner had 5 out of 6 years with 24+ goals and 4 out of 6 with 28+. Skinner scored 11 in the first 28 this past year and then had a 3 goals in 31 game stretch the rest of the season.

Yep, that proves it. Guy coming off a 40 goal season who got minimal ice time and no talent the next year and still was scoring over a 30 goal pace the first 1/3rd of the season hits injuries and a cold streak and is now worthless. Never change HF.

Don't worry, Skinner now that he will have actual talent to play with will score his usual 30-35 goals. Cannot wait to see Skinner play with a real center again, not Marcus f***ing Johansson.

And yet the Hawks would never ever consider trading Kane for Skinner.

Kane on his worst day is much better than Skinner on his best day. These two players are so far apart it isn't funny.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
As a Sabres fan I would be willing to go:

Reinhart
Okposo
2021 1st
Any prospect in the organizaton other than Cozens and UPL
Another prospect or draft pick

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
OP, do you even know what the word "rebuild" means? Cause this ain't it. Think Cozens and Ristolainen just to start the conversation.

This is a terrible proposal for the Hawks. They massively downgrade at wing to save barely any money, take on a much longer contract, and get a middling prospect as well.

Long term, they don't save any money at all, since Skinner is signed for so much longer than Kane.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Cozens, Skinner, Asplund, and Ristolainen for Kane would probably be the absolute minimal ask from Chicago’s side for Kane.
Kane’s value is much more than just his on ice ability, he’s the face of a franchise, he’s a brand and brings in a ton of revenue for the team on his name alone

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
As a Sabres fan it would take SOOO much to get Kane:

I’d offer:
RW- Sam Reinhart
D- Colin Miller
*or Ristolainen, Chicago’s Choice*
D- Ryan Johnson
RW- Jack Quinn
2022 1st Round pick

basically Reinhart, a defenseman, a top-10 pick(Quinn) another 1st round pick (Johnson) and a future 1st Round Pick.

I don’t know if this would be enough but I hope it’s a solid attempt.
way too much--kissing the future goodbye

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad