Proposal: Sabres | Blackhawks

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
way too much--kissing the future goodbye

You still have Olofsson Eichel Skinner Kane and Cozens up front as the core group. Dahlin, Jokhiharju are your big names on the back end, and you have Borgen, Bryson, Samuelsson & Laaksonen on the back end as your group of youngsters.

I understand it’s a lot to give, but it gives you a 3yr window with Eichel/Kane that could be a very good team.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
It was never reasonable. You don’t pay Skinner in the same ball park as Tarasenko, Kucherov, Kane, Draisaitl, etc. Skinner is too one dimensional and too much of a black hole defensively for that contract to be reasonable. Considering even if he scores 40 again he would probably only have like 10 assists and be a -16. Buffalo overpaid him to stay since nobody wants to live in Buffalo

Those are not comparable examples at all - not even to each other. Kane signed his deal years ago (same situation as Crosby/Malkin/Ovi), would easily pro-rate to $11.5-12M today. Kucherov deal anywhere but TB is an $11M AAV.

Drai should have fired his agent immediately after negotiating that deal, but like Tarasenko they were coming off their RFA deals and had limited leverage - they were not 26yo entering their 8th pro season & 3rd contract as a UFA.

Notice you left out the comparison to Marner, who plays a much more similar style to Skinner and makes just south of $11M.

Is he overpaid by $750K - 1M? Probably. Does it matter in the grand scheme of things? Nope.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
I'm not one to be overly critical of other people's ideas of what might represent a good trade, but the original proposal in this thread is about as bad as it could be for Chicago. They would be better giving Kane away for nothing.

I doubt this has any legs, but IF the Sabres and Hawks were to look at a deal I think it would look something like this:

To Buffalo:

Kane 10.5 x3
Keith 5.5 x 3

To Chicago:

Okposo 6.0 x 3 (I don't think the Sabres can realistically acquire Kane without dumping Okposo)
Ristolainen 5.4 x 2
Olofsson - RFA- likely 3.5ish
Cozens or Quinn
Samuellson or Johnson
1st in 2021
(if it is Quinn instead of Cozens then the Sabres add Mittelstadt)

This is close to cap neutral for 3 years. The Sabres would have 23-24 million coming off the books next year to re-sign Dahlin and Jojiharju and consider re-signing Hall.

The Hawks get a good haul of young players and futures.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
I'm not one to be overly critical of other people's ideas of what might represent a good trade, but the original proposal in this thread is about as bad as it could be for Chicago. They would be better giving Kane away for nothing.

I doubt this has any legs, but IF the Sabres and Hawks were to look at a deal I think it would look something like this:

To Buffalo:

Kane 10.5 x3
Keith 5.5 x 3

To Chicago:

Okposo 6.0 x 3 (I don't think the Sabres can realistically acquire Kane without dumping Okposo)
Ristolainen 5.4 x 2
Cozens or Quinn
Samuellson or Johnson
1st in 2021

This is close to cap neutral for 3 years. The Sabres would have 23-24 million coming off the books next year to re-sign Dahlin and Jojiharju and consider re-signing Hall.

Sabres would rather keep those young guys thanks. I mean there's no way Buffalos trading Olofsson right now. Then add all those pieces to him?

Last edited:

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Kane to the Sabres actually makes sense. One team where Kane could make a huge impact and would probably be thrilled about playing. Also a Hall-Eichel-Kane line would be great for the league.

Sabres have the futures to pull it off as well without crippling themselves.

What would be an actual win win trade here?

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
As a Sabres fan I would be willing to go:

Reinhart
Okposo
2021 1st
Any prospect in the organizaton other than Cozens and UPL
Another prospect or draft pick

Honestly, Cozens and UPL being off the table is a deal breaker for me. I get why Buffalo fans want to keep them but that level of prospect would need to be included in the package for me to even consider moving Kane.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Honestly, if we're scalping pieces off the rebuilding Blackhawks, Toews or Keith would make a hell of a lot more sense. Kane is a great player, but scoring winger is hardly a need for Buffalo right now.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

To Buffalo:

Kane 10.5 x3
Keith 5.5 x 3

To Chicago:

Ristolainen 5.4 x 2
Cozens or Quinn
Samuellson or Johnson
1st in 2021

Absolutely not

Off the table are Cozens, Quinn, Olofsson , Samuelson, Dahlin, Jokiharju, UPL

If it’s done this year cap needs to balance out

A more likely deal for both would be
Kane
Keith with retention

For

Reinhart (approx $6M)
MCCabe $2.88M
And either
A. Miller ($3.875M) and Mittlestadt approx $1M
OR
B. ristolainen
Some picks and secondary prospects

If Ristolainrn instead of Miller then there would be a change in the rest.

This also relies on them moving Montour/Miller for a cheaper LD

The reason I’d trade a Reinhart is because of cost and keeping youth.

I don’t see a way buffalo can even keep Reinhart after 3 yrs when Cozens gets next contract and Dahlin is on a high contract as is Jokiharju.

If the move Reinhart and Mittlestadt they likely go 8 skaters in the ED

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
Elliotte Friedman was saying on a Buffalo radio show today that the Chicago core pieces are not going to be part of this rebuild so doubt this type of trade will ever happen ..

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Absolutely not

Kane
Keith with retention

For

Reinhart (approx $6M)
MCCabe $2.88M
And either
OR
B. ristolainen

I don’t see a way buffalo can even keep Reinhart after 3 yrs when Cozens gets next contract and Dahlin is on a high contract as is Jokiharju.

These are always my favorite.

Off the table for your elite winger are... any prospect or player of value.

A more likely deal/You can have...

Stop.
Please just lock this thread up; it is getting no better.

SB716

Jun 1, 2015
I get this is bad for Chicago, and it’s an awful proposal. But not that long ago there were multiple pages on how Adam fox was straight up worth Eichel in a 1 for 1. This level of awful proposals isn’t new and happens weekly if not daily.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Absolutely not

Kane
Keith with retention

For

Reinhart (approx $6M)
MCCabe $2.88M
And either
OR
B. ristolainen

so basically a pile of crap for Kane and Keith lmao

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Buffalo’s future is already ****ed the moment Eichel says he’s had enough of wasting his career on a failure organization that isn’t even a bubble team 5 seasons

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
These are always my favorite.

Off the table for your elite winger are... any prospect or player of value.

A more likely deal/You can have...

Stop.
Please just lock this thread up; it is getting no better.

not even certain that deal gets Evander let alone Patrick AND Keith with retention

Reactions: wahsnairb

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
No way can a Kane to Buffalo trade have Skinner as the centre piece. Just because the contracts are in the same ballpark doesnt mean the players are. Id take Kane in his mid 30's over Skinner at any point in his career

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Kane to the Sabres actually makes sense. One team where Kane could make a huge impact and would probably be thrilled about playing. Also a Hall-Eichel-Kane line would be great for the league.

Sabres have the futures to pull it off as well without crippling themselves.

What would be an actual win win trade here?

They do?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I'm a neutral fan but with the Blackhawks going with a rebuild, I thought Buffalo going after the hometown kid could be unique and interesting.

To BUF:

Patrick Kane

To CHI:

Jeff Skinner
Rasmus Asplund (?) (Or another B level prospect)

May be the deal could be extended to include Duncan Keith and one of the Sabres d-men (Miller?). Keith could help mentor Dahlin. I don't know, just a thought.

I'd love to see a Hall - Eichel - Kane line :popcorn:

I think this is the single worst trade I’ve seen on the board. Normally I look for ways to make it more even but this one? Wow. I guess attach Cozens and Quinn to Skinner instead of a B level prospect. That one allows Chicago to kick start their rebuild but saddled with that deal on Skinner is pretty big set back while losing a future HOF player in Kane.

Reactions: sharkhawk

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Cozens and Quinn may do it. At least that hurts Buffalo badly given Chicago is losing a fantastic RW and top line forward for a brutal contract in Skinner.

The comment was that the Sabres have prospect depth such that they can make the move and not cripple themselves.

But, giving up their only two legit top 6 forward prospects in a trade would cripple their future.

Plus, the Sabres don't have the cap space for a move like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad