Proposal: Sabres | Blackhawks

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
The comment was that the Sabres have prospect depth such that they can make the move and not cripple themselves.

But, giving up their only two legit top 6 forward prospects in a trade would cripple their future.

Plus, the Sabres don't have the cap space for a move like that.

Fair enough. The construct that Buffalo can get Kane for Skinner is so absurd, it’s nearly impossible to fix. This was a way to make this trade happen that allows it to be even value wise.

But you can’t fix stupid and this trade idea of Skinner for Kane just is really stupid.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
Elliotte Friedman was saying on a Buffalo radio show today that the Chicago core pieces are not going to be part of this rebuild so doubt this type of trade will ever happen ..

Stan Bowman has said the same thing himself on multiple occasions during his recent media tour. End of the day, none of them are getting moved unless they choose to be.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Fair enough. The construct that Buffalo can get Kane for Skinner is so absurd, it’s nearly impossible to fix. This was a way to make this trade happen that allows it to be even value wise.

But you can’t fix stupid and this trade idea of Skinner for Kane just is really stupid.

I think PKane to Buffalo is stupid, so...

Reactions: McJedi

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Do people in Buffalo even still want Kane? I'm amazed people seem to forget things and I'm not sure it would be the warm homecoming welcoming that people seem to want it to be.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Those are not comparable examples at all - not even to each other. Kane signed his deal years ago (same situation as Crosby/Malkin/Ovi), would easily pro-rate to $11.5-12M today. Kucherov deal anywhere but TB is an $11M AAV.

Drai should have fired his agent immediately after negotiating that deal, but like Tarasenko they were coming off their RFA deals and had limited leverage - they were not 26yo entering their 8th pro season & 3rd contract as a UFA.

Notice you left out the comparison to Marner, who plays a much more similar style to Skinner and makes just south of $11M.

Is he overpaid by $750K - 1M? Probably. Does it matter in the grand scheme of things? Nope.
why should draisaitl have fired his manager? he was a 70 point player when he signed it. he had 77 points that year and 70 the next year.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Absolutely not

Off the table are Cozens, Quinn, Olofsson , Samuelson, Dahlin, Jokiharju, UPL

If it’s done this year cap needs to balance out

A more likely deal for both would be
Kane
Keith with retention

For

Reinhart (approx $6M)
MCCabe $2.88M
And either
A. Miller ($3.875M) and Mittlestadt approx $1M
OR
B. ristolainen
Some picks and secondary prospects

If Ristolainrn instead of Miller then there would be a change in the rest.

This also relies on them moving Montour/Miller for a cheaper LD

The reason I’d trade a Reinhart is because of cost and keeping youth.

I don’t see a way buffalo can even keep Reinhart after 3 yrs when Cozens gets next contract and Dahlin is on a high contract as is Jokiharju.

If the move Reinhart and Mittlestadt they likely go 8 skaters in the ED

Umm...no.

If the Sabres want Kane, Cozens is going the other way. Period. And that's the minimum Buffalo is giving up. Likely more than that. You don't trade for an elite NHL player without giving up important pieces.

And the Hawks are retaining on Keith...why exactly?

Reactions: bl02 and Mrfenn92

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Oh Boy.

A) Skinner has a NMC and is just as disinterested in being part of a rebuild as Kane is. Zero chance he waives. At 27yo, He's also already aged out of the core the Hawks are planning to build around.

B) Asplund is not the difference in value that makes CHI even consider this. He MIGHT be an NHL bottom-6 fwd... Maybe.

C) Keith, at 37yo is not a need in BUF, he's too expensive has a full NMC & is a diminishing asset. He's also a LH shot which does not make him an ideal partner for Dahlin. Pass, not a fit.

Any deal for Kane to BUF starts w/ Reinhart or Cozens and includes at least one other A- Prospect and/or a high pick...

** Starts with.

correction. Reinhart AND Cozens and A level prospect and 1st

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Umm...no.

If the Sabres want Kane, Cozens is going the other way. Period. And that's the minimum Buffalo is giving up. Likely more than that. You don't trade for an elite NHL player without giving up important pieces.

And the Hawks are retaining on Keith...why exactly?

Go back in trade history and find elite prospects 21 and under who have yr5 to play in the nhl givrn up for 30+ yr old players? It hasn’t happened...and never will.

Keith is no longer a top pair Dman thus paid too much for his role.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Bad for the Hawks.

How did this reach 4 pages.

I'd love Kane on Buffalo...but we can't afford him for one...and I wouldn't want to give up the pieces necessary to obtain him either.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I can’t believe you’re not even willing to give a first for Kane in this trade. I mean, it starts with that, and then Buffalo still adds a lot. I’m not sure Chicago will trade Kane, and even if they do, there’s no guarantee they trade him before next season. It would take a pretty big offer to get him, and no, Skinner would not be part of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad