Friedman: Sabres ask on Eichel is still huge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
With proper pain management and exercise i dont think it would be too restricted. I went back to construction and with the exception of some days hurting more than others I wasnt restricted in my job. It was my lower back and the only thing that really changed was that I paid closer attention to how I lifted and carried things, making sure I used my legs and kept my back as stable as possible.

I'm also not an athlete and didn't really do any outside PT other than chiropractic visits as needed. It could be better or worse for athletes or other situations, but 6 weeks isn't enough for a statement such as was made.
That's a sad thing to say to a 24 year old kid. ... and yes, at 24 he's still basically a kid with his whole life ahead of him. Pain management shouldn't be in his vocabulary... at least not at that age.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
What will Getzlaf's next contract look like? Any info floating around on that? Does he want to stay with Anaheim and does Anaheim want to give him another contract?
Ducks would like him back, all depends on if Getz wants to retire or not. No news on that front, but most of us assume he’ll be back for at least one more year

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Ducks would like him back, all depends on if Getz wants to retire or not. No news on that front, but most of us assume he’ll be back for at least one more year
So, IF Getzlaf decides to play, he wants to play in Anaheim? Would that be the summary?

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
I don't post on IG. I also don't post selfies either. I'm one of those photographers who hates taking pics of themselves (I find it somewhat narcissistic) and I much prefer taking photos of sports and wildlife. One of my favorites that I took.... (I think he thought I was an Oiler fan.... LOL)

View attachment 452088
I was giving you hell on the last sentence. Touché on that good sport. Haha.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
That's a sad thing to say to a 24 year old kid. ... and yes, at 24 he's still basically a kid with his whole life ahead of him. Pain management shouldn't be in his vocabulary... at least not at that age.

I was 20 when the drs started me on oxy, it was bad all around and the dr actually is in prison now. Pain management isn't just drugs, my current pain management is advil and stretching. These are high level athletes, they've been using pain management since they were pre-teens, it doesn't have to be heavy painkillers. Could just be ice and a day off, its part of their lives regardless, like it or not.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
Ducks had a slew of injuries last year, and are not as bad as their record. They have plenty of young depth and need a star player or 2. Take this draft, (Even without 3OA) then add next years top 5 probable pick and you should have enough of a core to sign a FA or two to fill in the top 9 in 2023. This move is to be good in 2-3 years, not next year.

Reactions: Trojans86

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Move Terry and Getz up to replace Comtois and Henrique. Have Grant and Desl fill in the bottom 6 for whoever gets taken by Seattle. Filling up that roster isnt that hard to accomplish

That's not a playoff team though. Getzlaf is clearly done as a full-time top 6 forward and Terry is still very questionable as a top 6 option. The leading returning scorer had 9 goals last year. Not to mention this all assumes that Zegras is ready to be a productive top 6 center...he may not be at 20. He may need time to continue acclimating.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I was 20 when the drs started me on oxy, it was bad all around and the dr actually is in prison now. Pain management isn't just drugs, my current pain management is advil and stretching. These are high level athletes, they've been using pain management since they were pre-teens, it doesn't have to be heavy painkillers. Could just be ice and a day off, its part of their lives regardless, like it or not.

And, of course, the obvious disclaimer is that you're not being battered 82 nights per year by 6'2" 200 lb defensemen intent on hitting you as hard and often as possible.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I have to believe that a damaged disc in your neck is a little worse than sore muscles that rest and ice can take care of. Now I'm no doctor but I would think that a damaged disc, and the pain associated with it, is constant. God, I don't even like it when I get the occasional pinched nerve in my neck... heaven forbid I had disc issues, particularly when you think about how often you move your neck.. neck movement constant, even when sleeping.
So no... I don't think pain management at 24 is a viable option and these issues usually seem to get worse as you get older. Fix it now while you are still young and your recuperative powers are at their peak. I say FU to the hockey club who is really only concerned with getting their pound of flesh for the next 5 years while you're under contract.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
You didn't answer my question. Look at the facts and tell me how Anaheim builds around Eichel with the organizational assets they have left after trading for him.

Groulx, Thrun or Lacombe, Colangelo, Jones, Terry, Tracey, Lundestrom or Steel, plus whomever they draft this year is shit to surround a core of Eichel, Zegras, Lindholm, Drysdale and Gibson?

I get that you want to get Eichel without the 3rd, Comtois, and/or Dostal being moved. If you’re so down on those people, we’ll send you Eichel for all them, plus a 1st and 2nd next year. We’ll even include Risto and retain half on his contract.

Accept that offer or say that you want to acquire Eichel for cheap.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Groulx, Thrun or Lacombe, Colangelo, Jones, Terry, Tracey, Lundestrom or Steel, plus whomever they draft this year is shit to surround a core of Eichel, Zegras, Lindholm, Drysdale and Gibson?

I get that you want to get Eichel without the 3rd, Comtois, and/or Dostal being moved. If you’re so down on those people, we’ll send you Eichel for all them, plus a 1st and 2nd next year. We’ll even include Risto and retain half on his contract.

Accept that offer or say that you want to acquire Eichel for cheap.

Groulx, Jones, Lundestrom, and Steel are all 3/4 line players. That's not a criticism but simply the reality of their roles in the NHL both now and in the future. Colangelo is a mystery box but is several years away from FT NHL duty. Tracey is looking like a very questionable pick right now and is several years away from the NHL...if he makes it at all. Both Thrun and Lacombe look like NHL players of some sort but (again) are several years away.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Groulx, Jones, Lundestrom, and Steel are all 3/4 line players. That's not a criticism but simply the reality of their roles in the NHL both now and in the future. Colangelo is a mystery box but is several years away from FT NHL duty. Tracey is looking like a very questionable pick right now and is several years away from the NHL...if he makes it at all. Both Thrun and Lacombe look like NHL players of some sort but (again) are several years away.

So you can’t see them as adding to a core?

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I see Debbie Downer is still in the house.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
So you can’t see them as adding to a core?

They are complementary players and could well be part of the core in that role. But the only ones who will see NHL ice in the next 2-3 years are Jones, Steel, and Lundestrom. Lundestrom is the best of the three and slots in as a nice 3C. Jones is a bottom six winger and may get taken by Seattle. Steel has really struggled the last couple of years and I don't know if he'll ever find a place in the NHL. He doesn't have top 6 talent and doesn't have bottom six physicality. Groulx has a chance in the next 1-2 years to be a 4C.

Edit: Comtois and Perreault are by FAR the best forward prospects on the team after Zegras and if they're gone there are no other top 6 options in the system.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Fun fact, there is approximately 1 teams in the NHL who have their entire top-6 forward group as internally drafted and developed. It's Tampa, that's literally it. And that's if you don't include Coleman.

Again, if you can't build a contending team with the 5 core pieces the Ducks would have with acquiring Eichel, you have no business being a GM in hockey.

Last edited:

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Fun fact, there are approximately 0 teams in the NHL who have their entire top-6 forward group as internally drafted and developed.

Again, if you can't build a contending team with the 5 core pieces the Ducks would have with acquiring Eichel, you have no business being a GM in hockey.

Why are you pushing Eichel onto the Ducks? Why not LA or Colorado or Minnesota or SJ or NYR? Each of those teams have equal or better cores and the cap space to acquire Eichel. How about annoying their fans for awhile?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why are you pushing Eichel onto the Ducks? Why not LA or Colorado or Minnesota or SJ or NYR? Each of those teams have equal or better cores and the cap space to acquire Eichel. How about annoying their fans for awhile?

No, I'm talking about how your arguments against acquiring Eichel are terrible.

If you don't want to talk about Eichel, why not just ignore the thread?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Idk, there are legitimate reasons to not want to acquire Eichel. Mentioning his serious injury is legitimate. Mentioning the Sabres demanding an asinine package is legitimate. I guess even mentioning the timeline with Eichel has some legitimacy, but I think that argument itself is pretty flawed because of the term left on Eichel's deal.

Complaining that you'd have a worse prospect pool after the trade, while trying to downplay any sort of prospect you'd have left to justify your point? That's a bogus argument for a ton of reasons. The "I don't want to trade for an elite talent because I'd have fewer good prospects" is like peak HF nonsense. I'd get it if Buffalo insisted on Zegras being included, but pieces like Comtois and Perreault? Seriously? They're good pieces, sure, but you can very likely pull off an equivalent prosect by being smart with a late 1st rounder. Especially considering Perreault was a late 1st rounder a year ago.

Last edited:

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
No, I'm talking about how your arguments against acquiring Eichel are terrible.

If you don't want to talk about Eichel, why not just ignore the thread?

We can agree to disagree like a proposed earlier. I guarantee that I've NEVER given my opinions on any teams other than LA and Anaheim. I wouldn't dream of passing myself off as an expert on the Penguins...much less act like I knew more than they did about their own team.

And the reason I'm on this thread is b/c the Ducks are one of the teams rumored to be interested in him. As soon as that is confirmed to be false I'll be gone. Why are you here all the time? Pittsburgh going to make an offer on Eichel?

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
That's not a playoff team though. Getzlaf is clearly done as a full-time top 6 forward and Terry is still very questionable as a top 6 option. The leading returning scorer had 9 goals last year. Not to mention this all assumes that Zegras is ready to be a productive top 6 center...he may not be at 20. He may need time to continue acclimating.
We dont need a contending team right off the bat. We have time. Why you want to immediately jump to worst case scenario is beyond me.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
They are complementary players and could well be part of the core in that role. But the only ones who will see NHL ice in the next 2-3 years are Jones, Steel, and Lundestrom. Lundestrom is the best of the three and slots in as a nice 3C. Jones is a bottom six winger and may get taken by Seattle. Steel has really struggled the last couple of years and I don't know if he'll ever find a place in the NHL. He doesn't have top 6 talent and doesn't have bottom six physicality. Groulx has a chance in the next 1-2 years to be a 4C.

Edit: Comtois and Perreault are by FAR the best forward prospects on the team after Zegras and if they're gone there are no other top 6 options in the system.

You don’t need 3 stars on each line in your top 6. You need someone willing to go to the dirty areas to get the stars the puck. Now I don’t know much about Zegras and how he is at the NHL level, but Eichel goes to the dirty areas (his neck injury was Matt Martin hitting him into the boards behind the net, which I’m sure you’ll agree is a dirty area), so if you can avoid him doing that, it’s better.

You just want him for nothing, because you know nothing about him as a player. You want to acquire him so only Buffalo hurts when he’s traded, and not your team. Which I understand.

Eichel has to be the man in Buffalo. Even going to the dirty areas, he got the the puck. Unfortunately once he got rid of it, everyone tried to get it back to him (besides Olofsson who loves to wire it).

Even Reinhart would try to get it back to him instead of using his vision (but I blame Buffalo coaches there for keeping him on Eichel’s line outside of PP1).

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
We dont need a contending team right off the bat. We have time. Why you want to immediately jump to worst case scenario is beyond me.
He’s really hard to take serious or read… I have never blocked anyone but it’s tempting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad