Confirmed with Link: Sabres acquire W Jimmy Vesey for a 3rd round pick in 2021

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Ok here's the optimist's slant (until October when he proves to be as disappointing as advertised):

Vesey played a significant amount of time with Brett Howden, who makes everyone around him worse. Not quite Sobotka but still impactful. The numbers should adjust for teammates but they don't always do so adequately.

Looking at the WOWY stats Vesey survived when he wasn't playing with Howden. He did ok, not great but we could use ok on our roster. And we can see that he wasn't just boosted by Hayes or by getting easy zone starts.

If he can play 50 xGF% hockey at even strength with average teammates that's better than what we got from everyone not named Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Pommer.

I'll hand up and listen for @Dingo to like this and @Jame and @Aladyyn to tell me why I'm wrong .

upload_2019-7-1_18-22-48.png

upload_2019-7-1_18-25-58.png

Edit: Bummer, he stunk last year without Howden. Debunked

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ok here's the optimist's slant (until October when he proves to be as disappointing as advertised):

Vesey played a significant amount of time with Brett Howden, who makes everyone around him worse. Not quite Sobotka but still impactful. The numbers should adjust for teammates but they don't always do so adequately.

Looking at the WOWY stats Vesey survived when he wasn't playing with Howden. He did ok, not great but we could use ok on our roster. And we can see that he wasn't just boosted by Hayes or by getting easy zone starts.

If he can play 50 xGF% hockey at even strength with average teammates that's better than what we got from everyone not named Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Pommer.

I'll hand up and listen for @Dingo to like this and @Jame and @Aladyyn to tell me why I'm wrong .

View attachment 242041

View attachment 242043

Edit: Bummer, he stunk last year without Howden. Debunked

Good attempt! Would read again. :)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's interesting to see how opinions of the Murray trade for Vesey have "subtly" morphed in the last 12 hours.

What are you referring to?

I'm wondering the same thing. When Murray dealt yet another draft asset to get a few extra weeks to talk to Vesey the first time, Vesey was an unknown quantity at the NHL level. He was an excellent collegiate goal scorer who did it in a pro-style fashion and only 23 years old. It was a risk, since Vesey had said he was going to explore UFA no matter what and he was at least a man of his word in that - going to free agency and selecting his destination.

Three years on, we know what sort of player he is. He's still a scorer, mostly through work in around the net. And that's about it. He's UFA after this season and there doesn't appear to be a whole lot more to draw out of him at the age of 26. The cement on this one has hardened if you will.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
What’s funny is the team he turned down was better than the one he was traded to. Three years of “building” later

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What’s funny is the team he turned down was better than the one he was traded to. Three years of “building” later

Part of it was wanting opportunity. He was a solid prospect, but he wasn't a bluechip guy coming out of his fourth year at Harvard. There was talk that he wouldn't get NHL time with the Preds coming out. So... he got three years in NYC and now gets a year in the gulag to show he can get the McGinn contract on the other side of it from team like the Ducks or Coyotes.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
He’s a bigger guy to and just had his best season at 17G 35Pts... I don’t see why he can’t put up 20-25G 40-45Pts

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He’s a bigger guy to and just had his best season at 17G 35Pts... I don’t see why he can’t put up 20-25G 40-45Pts

Depends on who he is playing with, but I don't see him getting as many minutes as he did with the Rangers in Buffalo which probably balances it out. And him having EDIT: substantially more assists than goals would be a first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eichel9 and Paxon

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Watch him get here, get put on his off wing next to Jack and Skinny, light it up with 20G before Christmas and then by January we're talking about how much we need to re-sign him because that's just the bizarro nonsensical hee haw clown hour reality we live in now.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

PunchImlach is Alive

Jul 15, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
I catch a few Rangers games locally so I've seen Vesey play a bit. I don't hate this trade. Vesey's usually pretty noticeable, especially this year where the Rangers largely had a pretty uninspiring roster playing uninspired hockey. He'd probably slot in pretty comfortably in the middle 6 and makes for some decent competition for top 6 minutes. Worst case scenario, Buffalo could likely flip him at the deadline for not any lower than what they paid. Definitely a player whose numbers you can see getting blown up by playing with virtually anyone one of Mitts, Reino, Eichel, Skinner, Olofsson, etc. Would be interested in seeing a Vesey / Nylander combo experimented with in camp.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
People's feelings are hurt worse than when a girl rejected them in high school (because he wanted to play in NY)

He is an upgrade to our top 9. That is what matters to me.

Reactions: Fearnot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad