Confirmed with Link: Sabres acquire W Jimmy Vesey for a 3rd round pick in 2021

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
This guy already said no to us before..I dont like this because I dont like the player.

No he didn't say no to us. He said no to EVERYONE. He was drafted by Nashville. By far a much much better organization, more recent results, better long term future and better place to play period. And this was his drafted team. They spent a draft pick on this player before he ever exceeded his expectations when drafted and 99% of the time would have had him signed. They then realize Vesey is deadset on waiting 2 more months so they find a sucker in Tim Murray to pay a 3rd to try and sweet talk Vesey from forgoing UFA.

Vesey had zero attachment to this team, city and franchise. zero relationship with Tim Murray. He already said no to a far far better franchise and after playing 4 years of college only needed to wait 6 weeks before he could sign wherever he chooses. Don't blame Vesey for sticking to his guns and hitting the open market which is what he clearly said he wanted to do and did.

I am supporting Botts less and less but enough about the price he paid the last 2 summers for solid top 9 wingers. Murray paid 2 3rds to get negotiating rights to a player who was clear on his intent to go to UFA and the other as compensation to hire a garbage f***ing coach just as awful as Housley. Botterill the last 2 summers traded a 4th and 3rd and brought back 2 wingers with nearly identical production. The guy we got last year for a 4th and a no harm cap dump was merely just our 4th leading scorer among forwards whilst getting minimal PP2 time, horrid linemates and 3rd line minutes. The guy we traded the 3rd for is a similarly productive type player who would have been the 4th highest goal and point scorer at forward just overtaking Sheary.

Sheary is so hated I have seen him totally left off lineups, called totally useless and a bum and think a 4th round pick is worth more. Vesey is getting the same treatment, with people saying stuff as outlandish as Vesey is not even a better option then a Rochester forward. :facepalm: Yes Vesey is not a better option then just plugging in a Rochester forward. 17 goals is chump change :sarcasm:

Last 3 seasons COMBINED
CJ Smith 2 goals
Danny O Regan 0 goals
Alex Nylander 3 goals
VO 2 goals
Hudson Fasching 0 goals
Justin Bailey 5 goals
Nic Baptiste 7 goals
CoR 3 goals
Cole Schneider 0 goals
Seth Griffith 2 goals

So pretty much these are all of the high scoring Rochester forwards that got game time with Buffalo over the last 3 seasons. Some only played a handful of games while others played 1/4 of a full NHL season in a single year. So going back to the claim that probably any Rochester forward could come in and do what Vesey does. Vesey scored 17 this year, and actually if not for a bad 1 goal in his last 19 game slump Vesey would have been a 20 goal scorer. Getting minimal ice time Vesey scored 16 in his first 65 games this last year. He got Skinnered. But still 17 goals is legit 2nd line goal scoring production. Very few teams can put out a team that has more then 6 forwards scoring 17+ goals a season. Vesey is a legit middle 6 forward who can probably score 20-25 if given time with Jack.

As for the AHL guys, literally all of our leading Rochester scorers combined for a whopping 24 goals. Over the last 3 years COMBINED. So we can stop with the Vesey is AHL replaceable.

Vesey is not a star by no means but he is a solid top 9 forward who will come in this year and likely score 16-20 goals this year, mainly on ES which is a huge need. Sheary is also a player likely to come in this year and put up 14-20 goals and 35-40 points. Those kind of players are easily worth 3rd and 4th round picks. But I forgot its much better to get the next Brycen Marten or Denis Yezhov with those 3 and 4s then 2 young, good skating top 9 forwards capable of scoring 35-40 goals combined this year.

Jimmy Vesey scored more goals then Larsson,Girgs and Sobotka combined. For a team so top heavy offensively getting a guy who can play middle 6 who will get you 17 goals is fantastic. It is another Sheary type move and like I said last year I make those 3rd or 4ths for a mid 20 year old proven top 9 winger all day.

I get the main frustration though. I want to see the Vesey trade as the bow on the off season. The addition of a solid top 9 forward acquired cheap after we already finished addressing the 2C spot firmly and upgraded the bottom 6 more. So I totally get why the Vesey trade has people angry. I mean I am angry that we watched several teams get much better and all we do is add in just one middle 6 forward and 1 middle 6 dman. That is not no f***ing roster surgery and that is why my confidence level in Botts is on the verge of reaching "no".

I was expecting major roster overhaul. Seeing a 2C brought in. If Risto was the one moved then following that up with signing Jake Gardiner. I wanted to see after the 2C was brought in for us to add a legit top 6 forward like Williams,Johansson, Dzingel, Nyquist etc.

Instead we got a July 1st reminiscent of the old Darcy days. And I do not mean Golisano era where we would trade for Drury, sign Spacek and Teppo. I am talking about we just got the rehash of when Darcy Crane signs Bob Essensa and other assorted cheap trash moves.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
No he didn't say no to us. He said no to EVERYONE. He was drafted by Nashville. By far a much much better organization, more recent results, better long term future and better place to play period. And this was his drafted team. They spent a draft pick on this player before he ever exceeded his expectations when drafted and 99% of the time would have had him signed. They then realize Vesey is deadset on waiting 2 more months so they find a sucker in Tim Murray to pay a 3rd to try and sweet talk Vesey from forgoing UFA.

Vesey had zero attachment to this team, city and franchise. zero relationship with Tim Murray. He already said no to a far far better franchise and after playing 4 years of college only needed to wait 6 weeks before he could sign wherever he chooses. Don't blame Vesey for sticking to his guns and hitting the open market which is what he clearly said he wanted to do and did.

I am supporting Botts less and less but enough about the price he paid the last 2 summers for solid top 9 wingers. Murray paid 2 3rds to get negotiating rights to a player who was clear on his intent to go to UFA and the other as compensation to hire a garbage ****ing coach just as awful as Housley. Botterill the last 2 summers traded a 4th and 3rd and brought back 2 wingers with nearly identical production. The guy we got last year for a 4th and a no harm cap dump was merely just our 4th leading scorer among forwards whilst getting minimal PP2 time, horrid linemates and 3rd line minutes. The guy we traded the 3rd for is a similarly productive type player who would have been the 4th highest goal and point scorer at forward just overtaking Sheary.

Sheary is so hated I have seen him totally left off lineups, called totally useless and a bum and think a 4th round pick is worth more. Vesey is getting the same treatment, with people saying stuff as outlandish as Vesey is not even a better option then a Rochester forward. :facepalm: Yes Vesey is not a better option then just plugging in a Rochester forward. 17 goals is chump change :sarcasm:

Last 3 seasons COMBINED
CJ Smith 2 goals
Danny O Regan 0 goals
Alex Nylander 3 goals
VO 2 goals
Hudson Fasching 0 goals
Justin Bailey 5 goals
Nic Baptiste 7 goals
CoR 3 goals
Cole Schneider 0 goals
Seth Griffith 2 goals

So pretty much these are all of the high scoring Rochester forwards that got game time with Buffalo over the last 3 seasons. Some only played a handful of games while others played 1/4 of a full NHL season in a single year. So going back to the claim that probably any Rochester forward could come in and do what Vesey does. Vesey scored 17 this year, and actually if not for a bad 1 goal in his last 19 game slump Vesey would have been a 20 goal scorer. Getting minimal ice time Vesey scored 16 in his first 65 games this last year. He got Skinnered. But still 17 goals is legit 2nd line goal scoring production. Very few teams can put out a team that has more then 6 forwards scoring 17+ goals a season. Vesey is a legit middle 6 forward who can probably score 20-25 if given time with Jack.

As for the AHL guys, literally all of our leading Rochester scorers combined for a whopping 24 goals. Over the last 3 years COMBINED. So we can stop with the Vesey is AHL replaceable.

Vesey is not a star by no means but he is a solid top 9 forward who will come in this year and likely score 16-20 goals this year, mainly on ES which is a huge need. Sheary is also a player likely to come in this year and put up 14-20 goals and 35-40 points. Those kind of players are easily worth 3rd and 4th round picks. But I forgot its much better to get the next Brycen Marten or Denis Yezhov with those 3 and 4s then 2 young, good skating top 9 forwards capable of scoring 35-40 goals combined this year.

Jimmy Vesey scored more goals then Larsson,Girgs and Sobotka combined. For a team so top heavy offensively getting a guy who can play middle 6 who will get you 17 goals is fantastic. It is another Sheary type move and like I said last year I make those 3rd or 4ths for a mid 20 year old proven top 9 winger all day.

I get the main frustration though. I want to see the Vesey trade as the bow on the off season. The addition of a solid top 9 forward acquired cheap after we already finished addressing the 2C spot firmly and upgraded the bottom 6 more. So I totally get why the Vesey trade has people angry. I mean I am angry that we watched several teams get much better and all we do is add in just one middle 6 forward and 1 middle 6 dman. That is not no ****ing roster surgery and that is why my confidence level in Botts is on the verge of reaching "no".

I was expecting major roster overhaul. Seeing a 2C brought in. If Risto was the one moved then following that up with signing Jake Gardiner. I wanted to see after the 2C was brought in for us to add a legit top 6 forward like Williams,Johansson, Dzingel, Nyquist etc.

Instead we got a July 1st reminiscent of the old Darcy days. And I do not mean Golisano era where we would trade for Drury, sign Spacek and Teppo. I am talking about we just got the rehash of when Darcy Crane signs Bob Essensa and other assorted cheap trash moves.

Without Essensa's 0-5, we don't get Ballard. Without Ballard. Without Ballard, we don't get Reinprecht. Without Reinprecht we don't get Drury. Without Drury, were not President trophy winning teams for a couple years.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
This guy already said no to us before..I dont like this because I dont like the player.
Players have NTC and want to play on other teams so you feel we should never have any of those players as a sabre?

Who cares if he wanted to play elsewhere.

If he is an upgrade, then that is what matters. Fans shouldn't be butt hurt over things like this.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
We need scoring depth, and this came cheap, so I have no issue with it. We do still have glaring roster holes/imbalances, and I will have an issue with not addressing them if they remain until opening night, but that is a separate issue.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Players have NTC and want to play on other teams so you feel we should never have any of those players as a sabre?

If he is an upgrade, then that is what matters. Fans shouldn't be butt hurt over things like this.
To put it another way, how many players in the NHL would Buffalo be the #1 destination for if they could pick any team? 10? If we held this against players we wouldn't be able to trade for anyone.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Well...the fact that his contract is expiring could be the best part of this trade, the same way Berglund quitting hockey mid-season was the best part of the O'Reilly trade.

However, if this all ends up with Vesey starting off hot and signing a ridiculous extension here...then...yea it was bad.
I mean...I guess? It sounds like you think he has negative value. If that's the case, then you must really hate this trade :laugh:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
To put it another way, how many players in the NHL would Buffalo be the #1 destination for if they could pick any team? 10? If we held this against players we wouldn't be able to trade for anyone.

Hey they had one who they flat out ignored his first trip to UFA in Gionta when Regier was here. So it isn’t like they even cultivate good will with the homegrown guys.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY

Yeah but he has 1 year left which means we traded for just a year because I guarantee he's gonna chase FA after this year.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

I don't think I've seen many people "butt hurt" over the fact that he chose not to sing here a few years ago. The problem with the trade is we wasted an asset on a below average NHLer.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Yeah but he has 1 year left which means we traded for just a year because I guarantee he's gonna chase FA after this year.
What worries me when Botts pays a reasonable price in trade for a 1-year pending UFA, is that he now has 365 days to offer a completely insane extension that the player's former team had no interest in giving.

Reactions: sabremike

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
What worries me when Botts pays a reasonable price in trade for a 1-year pending UFA, is that he now has 365 days to offer a completely insane extension that the player's former team had no interest in giving.

Are you telling me you think the front office would give out an 8 year, full NMC extensions way over market value to a winger despite them obviously being flawed because "well, no body else will sign here" .
That is simply SILLY good sir. In no WAY would the front office EVER do something so foolish and shortsighted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->