Confirmed with Link: Sabres acquire W Jimmy Vesey for a 3rd round pick in 2021

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
Brayden McNabb, Kevin Sundher, Jerome Gauthier-Leduc, Matt McKenzie, Daniel Catenacci, Justin Kea, Nicholas Baptiste, Jonas Johansson, Bryce Martin, Cliff Pu, Casey Fitzgerald, Oskair Laaksonen, Erik Portillo

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
In this case its not fair or frankly enlightening to compare what Vesey did last season with the Rags to what Pommer did playing a large amount with Skinner/Eichel. It would heavily skew his offensive numbers. Defensively though Pommer is a better player.

Question I would have is that the best way to look at it. Vesey’s strength, like Skinner’s, is in and around the net. Something that is a very good match with how Eichel plays. Obviously Skinner is a the far superior goal scorer. But what could Vesey do in his spot with lets say Sam on the other wing. Then free up Skinner to play elsewhere unchecked by top defenders. Just something to think about.

Pommer’s success with jack comes from his intelligence as a player.
Vesey and Sam would be bad together since both like to generate scoring by going to the net and tipping pucks in. Really Vesey offers nothing except 15 goals a season and Pommers can do that and add other elements that complement lines better.

What Vesey does Skinner does better and has more elements to his game, what Reinhart does is better than Vesey and has more elements to his game.

Vesey is going to have to play the role on the 3rd or 4th line.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Vesey and Sam would be bad together since both like to generate scoring by going to the net and tipping pucks in. Really Vesey offers nothing except 15 goals a season and Pommers can do that and add other elements that complement lines better.

What Vesey does Skinner does better and has more elements to his game, what Reinhart does is better than Vesey and has more elements to his game.

Couple things

1) I not saying Vesey needs to play with Jack. Just threw the idea out there.

2) I was also trying to point out what Vesey did or didn’t do with the Rangers compared to what Pommer did with the Sabres is a somewhat pointless comparison because of who they played with. Plus his best use with jack would not be with Skinner as the other winger because of defensive liability

2). Thats a poor way to break down Vesey vs Sam. Vesey without question needs to be around the net to be effective offensively and is not great defensively. Sam on the other hand can create offense in several different ways and is a very good defensive player. He’s about as versatile a player as you can have. One who can basically morph into whatever his line needs him to be. He would have no issues playing with Vesey.

Last edited:

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I do love to see all these NCAA kids who spurn their draft teams to sign with the Rangers get jettisoned at the earliest possible moment.
The Sabres lucked out when Barrett Heisten signed with the Rangers. It's too bad they didn't hang onto the player, Chris Thorburn, they selected with the comp pick.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Vesey and Sam would be bad together since both like to generate scoring by going to the net and tipping pucks in.
1. If Sam doesn't have to provide that type of offense, it opens him up to be more effective on other areas of the ice. Vesey occupying that type of net presence would give Reinhart more puck possession and in turn create a more effective line. They may have issues with playing the give and go with one another, but Sam isn't a player that is set at one type of game. It just so happens to look that way because that's where he was needed for his line previously. If he's needed for a different role and game, he can do it.

Really Vesey offers nothing except 15 goals a season and Pommers can do that and add other elements that complement lines better
2. Pommers away from Eichel, is far from the player you are describing, and hardly adds any elements to a line. Pommer is what you are saying Vesey is.

What Vesey does Skinner does better and has more elements to his game
3. and your point is what? That Skinner is better than Vesey? Because I think everybody can agree on that.

what Reinhart does is better than Vesey and has more elements to his game
4. Yep, but that shouldn't discount the role that a Vesey would play.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
So we gave up a 3rd round pick for a guy who:

- Isn't very good.
- Might not even be significantly better than putting someone in from Rochester would be.
- Fans of his old team think it's hilarious that we acquired a player they all consider junk
- And his contract expires at the end of the year.

I honestly have no idea why this trade was made.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Most "exciting" thing that happened for us yesterday, unfortunately.

We suck and things escalated

I totally get it and had my fair share of the comments myself. Just reflective of our sad state of affairs.

Everyone else is playing with their transformers on Christmas morning, we’re over here with our Gobots, trying to enjoy it as much.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
The spot Vesey interests me most is actually with Mitts. Seems like Vesey is good at generating scoring (in both directions). IF nothing else, he could hopefully kickstart that 3rd line. Would definitely need a defensively sound player on the other wing, though.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
The spot Vesey interests me most is actually with Mitts. Seems like Vesey is good at generating scoring (in both directions). IF nothing else, he could hopefully kickstart that 3rd line. Would definitely need a defensively sound player on the other wing, though.

That sounds like that start of the worst defensive line in the league, regardless of who else is on that line.

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
So we gave up a 3rd round pick for a guy who:

- Isn't very good.
- Might not even be significantly better than putting someone in from Rochester would be.
- Fans of his old team think it's hilarious that we acquired a player they all consider junk
- And his contract expires at the end of the year.

I honestly have no idea why this trade was made.

Your avatar is Tage Thompson's jersey and this is a real life post?

This isn't to improve the top 6. The Sabres need something, anything, from their third line. I'll take 15 goals from a 3rd liner

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Not really a fan of Vesey. But I wouldn't mind this trade if he was under team control....but he's not.

Well...the fact that his contract is expiring could be the best part of this trade, the same way Berglund quitting hockey mid-season was the best part of the O'Reilly trade.

However, if this all ends up with Vesey starting off hot and signing a ridiculous extension here...then...yea it was bad.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I'll hate this guy with all my hockey passion until he scores his first Sabres goal and then I'll move on and cheer for him as any rational fan should.

-That's all I have to say about that-Forrest Gump

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad