Confirmed with Link: Sabres acquire Frolik from CGY

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Just because it should've happened this summer, doesn't mean the Flames were ready to move on with their own questionable depth going into the season. This isnt a video game, both parties need to be ready & agree on it.

As dot said, Frolik is hardly a unique player option that required a ton of moving parts and a prayer to get.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
I don’t get fans sometimes. This board, me included, has been shouting for this trade for about 5 months at least. Botterill finally does it and now it’s a meaningless trade?

If GMJB sat on nearly this exact trade for months there is legitimate reason to complain. It took 3 total trades to make this (seemingly) simple move. Nobody has cap space at the moment which complicates things.

Many of the chief complaints on Botts has been his reluctance to make seemingly obvious and simple moves. He made the move, and hopefully there are a couple more trades that are coming. We don’t need to kiss his feet over essentially swapping Scandella for Frolik. It’s a solid move even if it came a bit late.

That's exactly it. with 10 nhl d man and bad forward depth why not make this move 3 months ago instead of doing it while the team is falling just to take heat off him so he can say "We traded for frolik it's okay don't worry about it"
why am i seeing comments saying this is some monster move that took time to manufacturer.
Personally i like the move probably could have did it a couple months ago but whatever we get one guy out of our crowded elevator of a defence and frolik is alright bottom six defensive guy you can plug anywhere.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
It’s reasonable to think CGY wanted to win and expected more from Frolik during his contract year.

Just because Girg is worth a 3rd doesn’t be mean he should have been traded already.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
As dot said, Frolik is hardly a unique player option that required a ton of moving parts and a prayer to get.

I mean, there were kind of a lot of moving parts to the trade, though. Calgary obviously didn't want Scandella for him---they wanted to clear cap---and Buffalo couldn't just add his cap hit, so a 2nd move is required. So Botterill has to find a home for Scandella, and he does in Montreal. But Montreal has to clear a roster spot for him, so then you add a 3rd trade that the Sabres have no control over. Yeah, they're all pretty minor trades, rather than blockbusters, but you've got enough going on there that the deal wasn't going to come together in 5 minutes and 1 phone call.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
It’s reasonable to think CGY wanted to win and expected more from Frolik during his contract year.

Just because Girg is worth a 3rd doesn’t be mean he should have been traded already.

I kind of doubt it. As a friendly Calgary fan posted, they just have several better options than him.

And his basic stats haven't been impressive for several years.

But again, I don't think any concerns about the timing of this trade are player specific.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I mean, there were kind of a lot of moving parts to the trade, though. Calgary obviously didn't want Scandella for him---they wanted to clear cap---and Buffalo couldn't just add his cap hit, so a 2nd move is required. So Botterill has to find a home for Scandella, and he does in Montreal. But Montreal has to clear a roster spot for him, so then you add a 3rd trade that the Sabres have no control over. Yeah, they're all pretty minor trades, rather than blockbusters, but you've got enough going on there that the deal wasn't going to come together in 5 minutes and 1 phone call.

I think a bunch of small moves doesn't indicate difficult moves or necessary moves.

And again, it's not about a specific player. Would Calgary have done it sooner? Maybe maybe not.

Would some other team than Montreal trade a 4th for Scandella, maybe maybe not.

Would a player like Frolik be available in the summer, and could you move by Scandella for a 5th or a 6th well before now? Pretty likely.

None of this is in absolutes about this exact deal happening. It's just about whether the team building was done wisely and timely.

Reactions: lauraP

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
That's exactly it. with 10 nhl d man and bad forward depth why not make this move 3 months ago instead of doing it while the team is falling just to take heat off him so he can say "We traded for frolik it's okay don't worry about it"
why am i seeing comments saying this is some monster move that took time to manufacturer.
Personally i like the move probably could have did it a couple months ago but whatever we get one guy out of our crowded elevator of a defence and frolik is alright bottom six defensive guy you can plug anywhere.

Buffalo was on Frolik’s 10 team NTL. It’s plausible he didn’t want to waive months ago.

Also, this was essentially a four team trade because of cap considerations:

MTL receives 2021 fifth and Andrew Sturtz from Ottawa for Mike Reilly

MTL trades a 2020 4th for Scandella

Buffalo trades that 4th for Frolik.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Frolik could turn out like Mehran Karimi Nasseri who had to live at Charles De Gaulle Airport in Paris, France from 1988 until 2006 because he didn't have the proper paperwork to be admitted to any country.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Frolik tries to get to the USA.
giphy.gif

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Frolik could turn out like Mehran Karimi Nasseri who had to live at Charles De Gaulle Airport in Paris, France from 1988 until 2006 because he didn't have the proper paperwork to be admitted to any country.

Had something similar happen to me. I had to fly to Cali for my sisters wedding when I was younger but I needed a photo ID. Unfortunately I didn't have any way to get all the points necessary for said ID. Even when I got a passport I was still short on points and after about 5 months (not 18 years thankfully) they said screw it and let me be who I am...:laugh:

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Hoping he gets in for Thursday, although without any practices I don't know how effective he'd be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad