Confirmed with Link: Sabres acquire Frolik from CGY

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I'm as hard on Botterill as anyone you will find on this board and this isn't meaningless. He got a solid possession player in a position of need (RW) from a position of strength (D). It's late in coming, it may not be perfect value, but it is not meaningless in the least.

If he can play like Larsson I'm happy with it.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I'm as hard on Botterill as anyone you will find on this board and this isn't meaningless. He got a solid possession player in a position of need (RW) from a position of strength (D). It's late in coming, it may not be perfect value, but it is not meaningless in the least.
It's going to end up a meaningless trade. On a different sabres team this would be a good trade. I think the player will help but in the end it won't mean anything.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

Isn't he a FA at end of the year on a team that will unless we win 2 out of every 3 games the rest of the year miss the playoffs? It seems pretty pointless to me, it literally solves nothing.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's going to end up a meaningless trade. On a different sabres team this would be a good trade. I think the player will help but in the end it won't mean anything.

Why is trying to improve an area of weakness finally not a good move? What won't mean something? Trying to be better now? Even a little bit better?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Isn't he a FA at end of the year on a team that will unless we win 2 out of every 3 games the rest of the year miss the playoffs? It seems pretty pointless to me, it literally solves nothing.

Since many have been superimposing their own feelings on the trade requests and such, would we not think that trying to make the roster better, more balanced, and dealing to sort out a cluttered position so that worthy players are playing more often isn't going to be viewed as a positive in the room?

That said, it can't be the only move. There are still players who need to go.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I don't want to go digging but I called this. It was the same day we heard about AB getting frostbite from a cryogenic machine or whatever nonsense. Wanted to toot my own horn lolllz.

Also not horrible I guess. Not game-changing but he did what we wanted and what was needed: to trade from the glut of defensemen for a forward.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
If it will help then it isn't meaningless. The cost was Scandella, not an asset that would be involved in the kind of trade you are hoping for.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
So we traded away our 2nd best left handed defenseman on an upswing season for a much older guy on the down swing (on top of the fact defensemen generally last longer in the league)? Great...a forward with 1 more point than a defensive defenseman. Calgary fans saying he might produce more with us but got buried in Calgary for whatever reason. Even still Beaulieu and Scandella were better than McUseless yet hes still ****ing here year after year, Mr. Prime suspect on why we lose game after game. Still have 18,000,000 RHD playing on their weak side. Botterill needs to get canned before he ruins the cap space we will have this off season.
both players in the trade are pending UFAs... have no idea what the cap space argument is...

One thing I have been thinking of lately.

Our best year recently was 2015-2016. That was the one year we have had NHL level bodies throughout the lineup for the most part. Players like McGinn and Legwand, who were the throw ins in the trades, actually were useful bottom 6 players. Unlike the AHL level talent we have been playing at times since then.

This seems to be a move that will give an NHL level bottom 6 body for the lineup
exactly. Sabres had 7 NHL caliber d-men in BUF, plus Pilut in ROC who is NHL ready, plus Bogo. They lack several NHL caliber forwards. It’s the right trade from strength to weakness.

Well he has a few months to be motivated in Buffalo as an open audition for a possible final contract. It's heartening to hear that he wants to be here - he has a limited movement clause so he had to accept the deal/have the Sabres on his list.
It will be his next contract to lose. Big opportunity.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Havent watched pretty much any Western Conf hockey this year. Hopefully Frolik plays his role well on the team. I like the trade as we had no use for Scandella and I can't see anyone giving up much for him at the TDL. However, I dont think this is the trade to fix this roster, we need something quite a big bigger to shake up the team and somehow get back in playoff contention. Unfortunately I dont see us getting it and I think Im gonna give up on yet another season by mid January (and justifiably so).

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
Complain when Botts sits on his spare D, complain when he moves spare D for a middle 6F. Lose/Lose around here.

I’m not complaining myself, but I get why some people would. Whether it was because of the press or just fan expectations, all offseason we were waiting for a Ristolainen for 2C trade, still need a 2C, and probably the realization has now finally set in that one isn’t coming for any of our D not named Dahlin.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Complain when Botts sits on his spare D, complain when he moves spare D for a middle 6F. Lose/Lose around here.

I don't think they're complaining about the move in a vacuum, rather they're lamenting the fact that it took so long - the season is basically lost at this point.

Reactions: Buffaloed

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Frolik has played a Larsson role on wing for years. Low on points, but always against top competition and keeping good fancy stats while doing it.

aka everything Sobotka was supposed to be, but actually wasn’t.

And don’t look now, but the Sabres have struggled since Sobotka has been out.

Would you trade a rental Scandella for a rental Larsson?

Ya we need another middle 6 player, but this was a good cap world hockey trade.
I would have signed Jaskin in July but that doesn't waste any assets so we're not allowed to do it.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Sounds like the nice move. :thumbu:

If nothing else I like that there's finally some life from Botts, just to give us something to talk about other than how horrible everything is for a little bit... and defense for forward always needed to happen in some capacity, even if it isn't the blockbuster for a 2C everyone wanted. Hopefully they keep going... and bring up Pilut full time.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
First Dalton Smith, now Frolik. This is as close to the days of wine and roses as we'll ever get. It started with an innocuous trade. Devante Stephens was shipped out for Matthew Spencer. Now it's become a force onto itself, an unstoppable juggernaut. Botts is on fire! He's killing it!

Last edited:
Reactions: Der Jaeger

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Like the deal. Hopefully Frolik helps, I mean, adding onto a few comments in this thread it doesn't makes us worse at all. On the flip side, he isn't ripe, but has experience, maybe putting him and Mojo on the same line possibly could help them both. This is the type of trade we can make at the moment. We're Weak and value is low. So I wouldn't really hate on Botts with this one

We probably weren't re-signing Marco. And it gives us another veteran with post season experience.

Just my take I guess.

Reactions: jcbeze

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
I, too, would've liked this done over the summer but it's just nice to have a tested (and useful) vet in the lineup over any one of the trash we're used to seeing.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I, too, would've liked this done over the summer but it's just nice to have a tested (and useful) vet in the lineup over any one of the trash we're used to seeing.
Scandella was unmoveable until his play under Krueger/Joki a few months in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad