Confirmed with Link: Sabres acquire Frolik from CGY

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I actually like this trade. People will poo poo it, but Frolik's contract is up at the end of the year and he is still a serviceable forward despite his 'struggles' in Calgary this season. Basically just swapping one of our extra D for a middle 6 six forward. I'd consider Frolik an upgrade over a player like Vesey or Sheary.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I actually like this trade. People will poo poo it, but Frolik's contract is up at the end of the year and he is still a serviceable forward despite his 'struggles' in Calgary this season. Basically just swapping one of our extra D for a middle 6 six forward. I'd consider Frolik an upgrade over a player like Vesey or Sheary.

The hope is he's a middle six forward, so saying we swapped a D for one is a bit off. He certainly hasn't been producing as a middle six forward lately, so saying that's what we're getting isn't really true.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I get the sense that much of the criticism is motivate for what it's not.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
And if the Sabres were healthy and had won three more out of their last ten and consequently in a wildcard spot, it'd be genius.
I'm not discounting the opinions that this team needs a top 6 player, if not 2C. I just don't personally see every move though that lens.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I get the sense that much of the criticism is motivate for what it's not.

My only beef is that it took as long as it did. He's the sort of player they need (if he plays close to how he has played historically). Workmanlike would be a way to describe it. It just took a while.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
The hope is he's a middle six forward, so saying we swapped a D for one is a bit off. He certainly hasn't been producing as a middle six forward lately, so saying that's what we're getting isn't really true.

I just look at it as a down season for him due to his surroundings. The Flames are not nearly as good as their record indicates (more wins then total losses yet a -10 Goal differential..And far less offense then last year) and Frolik is getting under 12 minutes a night. He has scored 15+ goals in 5 of his last 6 seasons. I think he can come in and score ~10 goals in our final 39 games. At the very least he is going to be our best PKer and will at minimum provide Vesey/Sheary level production and better then LOG level scoring. With 2nd line minutes for the foreseeable future and probable PP2 time I think Frolik has a chance to really turn his season around and put up 10-12 goals and a similar number of assists.

I am hoping that he gives us Dainus Zubrus with more scoring level production after arriving via trade and not Raffi Torres/Dominic Moore level.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I just look at it as a down season for him due to his surroundings. The Flames are not nearly as good as their record indicates (more wins then total losses yet a -10 Goal differential..And far less offense then last year) and Frolik is getting under 12 minutes a night. He has scored 15+ goals in 5 of his last 6 seasons. I think he can come in and score ~10 goals in our final 39 games. At the very least he is going to be our best PKer and will at minimum provide Vesey/Sheary level production and better then LOG level scoring. With 2nd line minutes for the foreseeable future and probable PP2 time I think Frolik has a chance to really turn his season around and put up 10-12 goals and a similar number of assists.

I am hoping that he gives us Dainus Zubrus with more scoring level production after arriving via trade and not Raffi Torres/Dominic Moore level.

I am not expecting anything of note offensively from Frolik.

I am hopeful that he might be a boost to the PK.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Now that the Sabres have conquered Scandinavia and Northern Europe they're extending their tentacles eastward to the fertile puck grounds of the Czech Republic and Slovakia with an eye towards Russia. It's predictable from a GM who came from an organization rich in Evgeni Jagr lore. Frolik is another brick in the wall. Rousek and Pekar will need someone to show them the way. Perhaps Sobotka will retire and take a job at Pegula's Academy of Hockey.

Reactions: Jim Bob

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
If he can come in and PK it will make an impact. Buffalo has been playing scratch 5v5 but getting slaughtered on special teams.

He can definitely help the PK. Not sure if other Flames fans chimed in yet but I think he was a big reason some of our younger guys, mainly former linemate Tkachuk is so good defensively.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Forwards currently on the team who are better than Frolik:
Eichel
Reinhart
MoJo
VO
Skinner
Larsson (arguable)

He's not gonna be a big scorer but he is a clear upgrade over much of our bottom 9.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Forwards currently on the team who are better than Frolik:
Eichel
Reinhart
MoJo
VO
Skinner
Larsson (arguable)

He's not gonna be a big scorer but he is a clear upgrade over much of our bottom 9.
He provides a different game than all of those players other than Larsson, who he is better at it. Our team hasn't even been struggling that bad at 5v5, it has almost been exclusively special teams that has killed us the last few months. And Frolik is an answer to the PK part of that equation.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
He provides a different game than all of those players other than Larsson, who he is better at it. Our team hasn't even been struggling that bad at 5v5, it has almost been exclusively special teams that has killed us the last few months. And Frolik is an answer to the PK part of that equation.

I'd argue that Frolik plays a slightly similar game than Larsson in that he's solid defensively and will contribute little offensively. However, Frolik is much faster than Larsson while Larsson provides much more sandpaper than Frolik. If they can find someone with some offensive ability, Frolik/Larsson is one heckuva shutdown duo who should be able to lock things down.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

This is probably one of the most overlooked things about this year's team. We have a +5 goal differential at 5v5, good for 11th in the league. Our special teams is a -14 though...

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I am not expecting anything of note offensively from Frolik.

I am hopeful that he might be a boost to the PK.

I am actually excited about Frolik. He is a possession beast and will like you said be a huge upgrade to our bottom 5 PK. I think he will score 10 goals for us in the last 39 games which would be a huge boon.

Vet middle 6 forward who is an excellent PKer, always posting great possession #s and is usually a ~15 goal scorer is just what this team needs in its middle 6. Now more then ever with Skinner and Olofsson out. I think Frolik finishes with as many or even more goals as a Sabre these last 39 games then he had points as a Flame. Can't wait to see him play tonight.

Now we just need that 2C and one more 20 goal top 9 RW.

Reactions: Mitts888

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I am actually excited about Frolik. He is a possession beast and will like you said be a huge upgrade to our bottom 5 PK. I think he will score 10 goals for us in the last 39 games which would be a huge boon.

Vet middle 6 forward who is an excellent PKer, always posting great possession #s and is usually a ~15 goal scorer is just what this team needs in its middle 6. Now more then ever with Skinner and Olofsson out. I think Frolik finishes with as many or even more goals as a Sabre these last 39 games then he had points as a Flame. Can't wait to see him play tonight.

Now we just need that 2C and one more 20 goal top 9 RW.

I doubt he gets 10 goals the rest of the way unless he’s fed ES minutes with Eichel and Reinhart.

Players don’t tend to play above their career averages once being traded to Buffalo mid season.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
So we traded away our 2nd best left handed defenseman on an upswing season for a much older guy on the down swing (on top of the fact defensemen generally last longer in the league)? Great...a forward with 1 more point than a defensive defenseman. Calgary fans saying he might produce more with us but got buried in Calgary for whatever reason. Even still Beaulieu and Scandella were better than McUseless yet hes still ****ing here year after year, Mr. Prime suspect on why we lose game after game. Still have 18,000,000 RHD playing on their weak side. Botterill needs to get canned before he ruins the cap space we will have this off season.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Sure looks like it's working out great for us so far. Joker has never looked worse and Frolik offers nothing. McCabe continues to actively feed the other team goals. Chalk it up as another bad trade by Fathead.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad