Confirmed with Link: Sabres acquire Frolik from CGY

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Possession driver with a weak shot, ruh roh.

The anti-Reinhart crowd is gonna hate him.ha
He's going to replace Reinhart on the first line and make the anti-Reinhart/Eichel crowd happy as can be, and fuel the Botterill haters even more.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I don’t get fans sometimes. This board, me included, has been shouting for this trade for about 5 months at least. Botterill finally does it and now it’s a meaningless trade?

If GMJB sat on nearly this exact trade for months there is legitimate reason to complain. It took 3 total trades to make this (seemingly) simple move. Nobody has cap space at the moment which complicates things.

Many of the chief complaints on Botts has been his reluctance to make seemingly obvious and simple moves. He made the move, and hopefully there are a couple more trades that are coming. We don’t need to kiss his feet over essentially swapping Scandella for Frolik. It’s a solid move even if it came a bit late.

Reactions: jc17 and jcbeze

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
While the new arrangement of deck chairs is more efficient some of the passengers would like the captain to do something about the huge hole in the ****ing hull.
Best post in weeks.

Note" Scandella was $4,000,000 against the cap.....Frolic is $4,300,000. So it makes our cap issue more difficult. If you freed up cap by moving Scandella.....why not just keep the cap space and fourth to use in making a bigger, more impactful trade?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I don’t get fans sometimes. This board, me included, has been shouting for this trade for about 5 months at least. Botterill finally does it and now it’s a meaningless trade?

If GMJB sat on nearly this exact trade for months there is legitimate reason to complain. It took 3 total trades to make this (seemingly) simple move. Nobody has cap space at the moment which complicates things.

Many of the chief complaints on Botts has been his reluctance to make seemingly obvious and simple moves. He made the move, and hopefully there are a couple more trades that are coming. We don’t need to kiss his feet over essentially swapping Scandella for Frolik. It’s a solid move even if it came a bit late.

That's definitely not the chief complaint. Sure, people have been hammering him -- deservedly -- for sitting on so many defensemen when you have too many and not enough forwards, but you don't win brownie points for doing something that's 6 months overdue, and way too late.

If this is one of several moves to come in early January, it might be a different story, but this is just Botts showing up to work and doing the bare minimum.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
He's going to replace Reinhart on the first line and make the anti-Reinhart/Eichel crowd happy as can be, and fuel the Botterill haters even more.

What a weird world you live in. It's like you don't read anything others post and just spew out these odd fantasies of who you think you are arguing with.

I can't think of a single poster who realizes that Botts has been terrible for three years, who hasn't systematically begged for Reinhart to be awau from Jack. Begged for it.

Bigger problem for you snowball, is your boy's coach seems infatuated with keeping the two together.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
While the new arrangement of deck chairs is more efficient some of the passengers would like the captain to do something about the huge hole in the ****ing hull.
Then we can't ever have a discussion about a move until the team is good. There will always be more holes to fill.

No one thinks this move is going to save the team so its annoying that we can't have a discussion about this trade because all some people want to talk about is what this trade isn't

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Like the deal. Hopefully Frolik helps, I mean, adding onto a few comments in this thread it doesn't makes us worse at all. On the flip side, he isn't ripe, but has experience, maybe putting him and Mojo on the same line possibly could help them both. This is the type of trade we can make at the moment. We're Weak and value is low. So I wouldn't really hate on Botts with this one

We probably weren't re-signing Marco. And it gives us another veteran with post season experience.

Just my take I guess.

Frolik is going to go from 7 minutes a night to around 16 with the injuries to Skinner and Olofsson. Would not
be surprised to see Frolik signed for next season at a much lower salary. I also wonder heading into next season if
we are better off with Lazar over Larry at half the cost. Where does Asplund fit in? Tage? Mittelstadt. Opportunities will be drying up.
I need to look into the Okposo buyout over the summer as well.

Olofsson - Eichel - XXX (Toffoli/Kreider)
Skinner - XXX - Reinhart
Frolik - Johansson - Tage
Girgs (Wood) - Lazar - Asplund

Mittelstadt
Cozens

Don't see room for Vesey, Sheary or ERod obviously.

Reactions: southeastern

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Flames fan here, my thoughts on the player

- still has most of his skill and decent skating legs, but has started taking more penalties this season. In my honest opinion this is because Calgary is hated by the officials but I'm sure that comes across as a petty conspiracy theory. He's also one of those wingers who can play his off wing as smooth as butter.

- He's excellent in the defensive zone. You'll rarely be frustrated by a poor breakout attempt or poor positioning. In fact he's at his best starting shifts in the D zone and using transition to create offense.

- He's a solid forechecker, although I don't feel this stands up to playoff intensity. However he will help get you to the playoffs.

- In Calgary in particular, he was marginalized by a lot of left shot talent - even discounting the big guns on the ring (Tkachuk/Gaudreau) he still had to compete not only Sam Bennett (who shouldn't have ever been on the wing but our team is idiotic), but

- Andrew Mangiapane, an excellent young guy with an elite shot in the top six

- Dillon Dube, a young guy with a ton of upside who has started scoring regularily on the 3rd line

- Milan Lucic, who brings more of a missing size/cycle/#intangiblez element than most of our forwards

- Tobias Rieder, who's shown more speed and discipline while having most of Frolik's positives

So in Calgary it was a numbers game and Frolik, pending UFA left shot winger, was the odd guy out. He can still contribute as a middle six guy IMO.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Frolik seemed to really trip over himself to say that he didn't ask for a trade out of Calgary. Better than being disappointed he's leaving

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
should have just kept Foligno this is a fail

He's exactly what this team needs.

I'm losing my patience with Jason Botterillelli

It seems he doesn't know how to evaluate talent.

If you look at my post history before the ROR trade I said he could be a PPG center on a good team with better wingers.

I am not nor never will be a hockey executive. Why do super smart hockey inside people not know this too?
How he takes on 2 cap dumps a B prospect and a nothing second for him is beyond me.

I'm losing trust.
If Sabres miss the playoffs he's going real fast into 'he's gotta go' territory

Last edited:
Reactions: Grinder81

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Then we can't ever have a discussion about a move until the team is good. There will always be more holes to fill.

No one thinks this move is going to save the team so its annoying that we can't have a discussion about this trade because all some people want to talk about is what this trade isn't

Why get worked up about some people whinging at full speed? It's the internet, you are never going to get uniform thoughtful responses, let alone from the screamers. They screamed at people making thoughtful posts two and half years ago saying maybe Botts isn't doing enough. Now they scream about this move.

Several posters gave reasonable takes, posters who yhink Botts is an idiot. Why focus on the goofs.

Here, reasonable take. This trade, or a variation of it should have happened in the summer, you know, when a Frolik type could have helped pick up a couple points by now.

That it happened now is a small positive. We move a defender, but its a lefty who has been decent. We got a right winger, that we need, but he's well past his prime and a ufa. Meh, okay. Better than nothing, but again timing matters in being a gm and this is late.

I hope Frolik gets in the time machine and goes nuts for us. But quite honestly the fact that we talk about a trade like this for more than a page or two is a sign of how bad a team this is. When we are good, moves like this are ignored a day after they happen.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Just because it should've happened this summer, doesn't mean the Flames were ready to move on with their own questionable depth going into the season. This isnt a video game, both parties need to be ready & agree on it.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
If he can come in and PK it will make an impact. Buffalo has been playing scratch 5v5 but getting slaughtered on special teams.
I agree with this completely. We’re basically a break even 5 on 5 team with one of the games elite scorers on the ice for a third of the game. We’re getting murdered on the PK. I can’t believe it’s not the leagues worst statistically.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Just because it should've happened this summer, doesn't mean the Flames were ready to move on with their own questionable depth going into the season. This isnt a video game, both parties need to be ready & agree on it.
While Frolik himself might not have specifically been available this summer, it's hard to believe that another similar player wasn't. It's not like Frolik is the type of player you target to the extent where you put all of your other plans on hold for half a season until he becomes available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad