Confirmed with Link: Sabres acquire Brandon Hickey, Mike Sislo from Coyotes for Hudson Fasching

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Players cannot be signed to contracts that don't cover the current league year unless 1) the player is under contract and signing an extension or 2) the player is signing their first NHL contract and it's between March 1 and June 1. However, all indications are that a player cannot sign a contract for a league year in which his team has no games remaining (that is, no player can sign a contract now that covers the 2017-18 league year), so no new SPCs can be signed between June 1 and July 1.
Now, one might point to Luukkonen's having signed, but presumably that contract was either signed by June 1 and not announced until yesterday, or won't be processed until July 1.
Thanks dc, on point as always.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Yep. Really was hoping he made it.

We really should all just start mentally preparing for this to go full circle - Fasching to be selected by Seattle in the expansion draft in a couple years and being a regular in a deep playoff run Seattle's first season.

Carrier was one of VGK worst players this season.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He's probably right around Borgen.

I think he’s a slice below Will on the depth chart. But there still a place for someone who can skate and defend in the organizational depth chart. His mobility and stick will help him even more when looking to defend against the trend toward highly mobile forwards. He’s also a very high character individual from everything I’ve ever read or heard or seen about him. Those are all good things.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I think he’s a slice below Will on the depth chart. But there still a place for someone who can skate and defend in the organizational depth chart. His mobility and stick will help him even more when looking to defend against the trend toward highly mobile forwards. He’s also a very high character individual from everything I’ve ever read or heard or seen about him. Those are all good things.

That's reasonable. I should have made it clearer. I think Borgen's upside is pretty low; and I think Hickey's is too. But either could conceivably make it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That's reasonable. I should have made it clearer. I think Borgen's upside is pretty low; and I think Hickey's is too. But either could conceivably make it.

I think Borgen will surprise people with the way he plays in the pros. He is most definitely going to be the take out part of the pair, but he has good mobility and he knows when to get up the ice and in the position offensively. He’s not going to fill the net or anything but he could be a very nice addition opposite a high-end PMD.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think Borgen will surprise people with the way he plays in the pros. He is most definitely going to be the take out part of the pair, but he has good mobility and he knows when to get up the ice and in the position offensively. He’s not going to fill the net or anything but he could be a very nice addition opposite a high-end PMD.

I agree. I like Borgen as a 2nd or 3rd pair, defense-first player who adds physicality and toughness. Both of which will be needed.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

If he Lydmans's someone's Tallinder i'd be more than happy.

Reactions: TheCerebral1

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I agree. I like Borgen as a 2nd or 3rd pair, defense-first player who adds physicality and toughness. Both of which will be needed.

Borgen has the size, attitude, smarts, wheels, and drive. I'd be shocked if he's not a valuable Sabre in a couple of years. Nothing so far has shown any reason why he can't be.

Very excited about the fact it appears Hickey is pretty close to signing July 1. They had to know something before the draft.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
huh? :huh: Couldn't be more off the mark... I was joking about Fasching going the way of McNabb to go full circle. Didn't think the dots were that hard to connect.

Huh.. must have been why he had the least TOI out of the team. Maybe they were just saving him?

3 points in 37 games Carrier?

Ok I got it now. I thought you were bracing yourself for people to complain like they did when Carrier was selected. Cause Carrier was awful this season.

Last edited:

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
We can't sign both, we need to keep our cap flexibility for the TDL.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Huh.. must have been why he had the least TOI out of the team. Maybe they were just saving him?

3 points in 37 games Carrier?

Ok I got it now. I thought you were bracing yourself for people to complain like they did when Carrier was selected. Cause Carrier was awful this season.

They’re keeping his jersey clean for the retirement ceremony

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
McNabb would be a borderline AHL
wreck would he have stayed with the Sabres.
Wasn't good enough for the Kings.
Has played awful in the final.
Let's see how he does next year.
Except the draft picks there is not much lost in this trade.
Its not like he is an established top 4 guy.
Why did the Kings expose him in the expansion draft if he was good enough for them especially if he is that young.
Its because they thought his upside is limited.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Why did the Kings expose him in the expansion draft if he was good enough for them especially if he is that young.
Its because they thought his upside is limited.
Why did Florida not protect Marchessault?Why was Wild Bill allowed to leave? Why didn't the Pens keep Fleury since he was better then Murray this year.

Brayden McNabb was a #3 dman on the cup runner ups. Typical behavior to turn our noses up at a physical top 4 LHD because our idiot GM traded him for trash like Des and the other guy we just traded away. Same people dissing McNabb are more likely then not were also members of the Carrier fan club and have been hating Botts since superstar Carrier was unprotected.

Good luck Hudson. If I remember he has a sibling with special needs and he seems like a good kid, hopefully he has a long pro career and him and his family are set.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Why did Florida not protect Marchessault?Why was Wild Bill allowed to leave? Why didn't the Pens keep Fleury since he was better then Murray this year.

Brayden McNabb was a #3 dman on the cup runner ups. Typical behavior to turn our noses up at a physical top 4 LHD because our idiot GM traded him for trash like Des and the other guy we just traded away. Same people dissing McNabb are more likely then not were also members of the Carrier fan club and have been hating Botts since superstar Carrier was unprotected.

Good luck Hudson. If I remember he has a sibling with special needs and he seems like a good kid, hopefully he has a long pro career and him and his family are set.
I am not defending Murray
Its just so that the Kings had no value for him too.
Its easy to say NOW that McNabb had one good year which he had like 4 years after he was traded.
Before that he was shown the door by another organization.
He was top 4 for a year now.
If Vegas adds players on defense like Eric K or John C he will be a 3rd pair guy again.
All of the Vegas players overperformed
In a big way and it showed in the finals.
They were outplayed in every aspect.

Its very likely most of their players will have not as good seasons as last year because most of them had career years.
If Fleury falls to his usual self they will find themselves more in the middle od the playoff pack than the top teams in the league thats if they cannot land some big UFA aqquisitions of course.

If McNabb would be still on the Sabres he would look as awful as he looked in the Cup finals and worse.
I believe if a healthy McCabe would be on a VGK roster he would also look like a capeable top4 guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad