Confirmed with Link: Sabres acquire Brandon Hickey, Mike Sislo from Coyotes for Hudson Fasching

jputt99

Nov 24, 2016
Charlotte NC
Sislo will likely sign on to play in Rochester, but Hickey ? He's seems to be a decent puck moving D man .
Just wondering if he sees himself playing in the Sabres organization.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Sislo will likely sign on to play in Rochester, but Hickey ? He's seems to be a decent puck moving D man .
Just wondering if he sees himself playing in the Sabres organization.

The early buzz is pretty strong that Hickey will sign. Botterill said he was pretty confident he would. His agent said things were trending in the right direction to sign. He’s coming to dev camp even though they can’t sign him until July 1.

Nothing is done until it’s done but everything sounds promising.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
The early buzz is pretty strong that Hickey will sign. Botterill said he was pretty confident he would. His agent said things were trending in the right direction to sign. He’s coming to dev camp even though they can’t sign him until July 1.

Nothing is done until it’s done but everything sounds promising.
Good. I'd hate to wish him nothing but misery if he stands us up.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Definitely doesn't sound like a sure thing that Hickey signs here.

“I’m not sure yet, but you can’t look at it until the first of July, so I’ll have to see what goes on and see what they tell me in my meeting.”

We've added quite a few defenseman to the pipeline and another left D (Hunwick) to the Sabres roster yesterday, where they already have Scandella, McCabe, Beaulieu, Dahlin, Guhle, Pilut who are all left shooting defenseman.

I can see where he may look for a team with less depth on the left hand side. Hopefully I am just worrying for no reason... lol.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Definitely doesn't sound like a sure thing that Hickey signs here.

“I’m not sure yet, but you can’t look at it until the first of July, so I’ll have to see what goes on and see what they tell me in my meeting.”

We've added quite a few defenseman to the pipeline and another left D (Hunwick) to the Sabres roster yesterday, where they already have Scandella, McCabe, Beaulieu, Dahlin, Guhle, Pilut who are all left shooting defenseman.

I can see where he may look for a team with less depth on the left hand side. Hopefully I am just worrying for no reason... lol.

So you are saying whatever team he chooses will be ....all right?

Reactions: Icicle

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Can someone explain why the Sabres can't sign him before July 1 to me?

I beleive they were forexlosed earlier in the year from signing anymore by the CBA so they need to wait until the new league year to sign a deal.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Can someone explain why the Sabres can't sign him before July 1 to me?
All contracts must cover the then-current league year, other than extensions and, for a window between March 1 and June 1, contracts that are a player's first NHL SPC. Now, while it is not explicitly stated anywhere publicly, it is believed that a player cannot sign an SPC that covers the current league year if his team no longer has any games (or games that he can play in for teams that make the playoffs). So that would mean someone like Hickey cannot sign a contract that covers the 2017-18 league year at this time. As it is not between March 1 and June 1, he cannot sign a contract that starts with the 2018-19 league year until the new league year starts on July 1.

Note that while there have been signings announced after June 1 (Luukkonen for example), it is believed that those signings were actually done pre-June 1 but not announced until later. Obviously in a case like Hickey, where his draft rights were not acquired by Buffalo until June 15th, that cannot have happened.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Hickey excited to suit up in front of Phil Housley, weighs future with Sabres

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) - From Calgary, to Arizona and now Buffalo, Brandon Hickey has made the rounds when it comes to player development camps in the National Hockey League.

Counting his four day stay with the Sabres, Hickey will be wrapping up his fifth development camp on Saturday.

“A little bit of a suitcase, but glad to be here,” the defenseman joked Thursday.

And, so is Sabres GM Jason Botterill who has mentioned Hickey as a player he’s excited to see move forward with the organization.

Hickey, who was a third-round pick by the Flames in 2014, spent all four years at Boston University – a calculated decision by the 22-year-old.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
Hopefully Eichel has upped his pitch game with lessons learned from the Vesey exercise.
I wonder if Eichel simply didn't like Vesey from his time at BU. While there here have been great friends and teamates on every team I've played on, there is always one or two assholes. It would have been funny if Buffalo asked Eichel to pitch to Vesey if they never really got along. No idea if that was the case, but it's funny to imagine.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Buffalo Sabres news By Bill Hoppe

BUFFALO – Right away, Brandon Hickey’s former Boston University teammates reached out to him. Jack Eichel, Danny O’Regan and Evan Rodrigues all welcomed the defenseman to the Sabres with text messages.

Hickey, 22, already looks comfortable with the Sabres, who traded winger Hudson Fasching to the Arizona Coyotes for the former third-round pick and forward Mike Sislo on June 14.

“There’s some familiar faces within in the locker room there,” Hickey said Thursday. “When I heard about the trade, I was pretty excited about it.”

In addition to the three ex-Terriers in the organization, Sabres assistant general manager Steve Greeley was a BU assistant coach during Hickey’s freshman season.

“It helps a ton,” Hickey said of Greeley’s presence. “He was the one who kind of got me to BU. He was there through the whole recruiting process. … He was a big piece in my deciding to go to BU.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Don't like the sound of his uncertainty in that clip. Sabres have his exclusive rights until August 15? Last thing we need is to be giving up prospects for another Vesey.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I know I say this sort of thing a lot, but I think it's a little early to be worrying about him not signing. Like, let's at least wait until July 1 when they can actually sign him. Waiting a little longer, say July 15 or so, before worrying about him not signing might be even better. If he's not signed by then, you'll still have a whole month to worry.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
With Greeley who got him to Boston University, to Jack, Evan Rodrigues, and Danny O'Reagan, the chance to have a shot at a top 7 role, this "should" be a no brainer. I loved what I saw with him on the ice. He looks like a poised puck carrier in the mold of Mark Pysyk.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
All contracts must cover the then-current league year, other than extensions and, for a window between March 1 and June 1, contracts that are a player's first NHL SPC. Now, while it is not explicitly stated anywhere publicly, it is believed that a player cannot sign an SPC that covers the current league year if his team no longer has any games (or games that he can play in for teams that make the playoffs). So that would mean someone like Hickey cannot sign a contract that covers the 2017-18 league year at this time. As it is not between March 1 and June 1, he cannot sign a contract that starts with the 2018-19 league year until the new league year starts on July 1.

Note that while there have been signings announced after June 1 (Luukkonen for example), it is believed that those signings were actually done pre-June 1 but not announced until later. Obviously in a case like Hickey, where his draft rights were not acquired by Buffalo until June 15th, that cannot have happened.

I thought the March-may signing window also applied for players who’s rights expire on 1 June. teams can’t sign players not on roster June 1 until July 1. Players on roster on June 1 can still be signed to take effect the following year.

I think thus also applies to the 30 day rights on college UFA whi sat declare pro on May 15, they become UFA on June 15 but can’t sign till July 1.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I wonder if Eichel simply didn't like Vesey from his time at BU. While there here have been great friends and teamates on every team I've played on, there is always one or two *******s. It would have been funny if Buffalo asked Eichel to pitch to Vesey if they never really got along. No idea if that was the case, but it's funny to imagine.
Eichel cost us a draft pick then and made Murray look like a fool.

Maybe it was the precursor to getting him fired. Eichel was playing the long game on Murray.

:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad