Confirmed with Link: Sabres acquire Brandon Hickey, Mike Sislo from Coyotes for Hudson Fasching

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
When they find my body, instead of a suicide note it will be a list that breaks down the value lost in Tim Murray trades. :cry: :wg:

Murray also drafted terrible, signed terrible contracts, developed terribly, and hired terribly. So if his terrible trading is all that bums you are actually in a much healthier spot that lots of others here.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Murray also drafted terrible, signed terrible contracts, developed terribly, and hired terribly. So if his terrible trading is all that bums you are actually in a much healthier spot that lots of others here.

Compared to averages at given draft spots, and how many player a team can expect to contribute out of a draft, Murray was average. Asplund, Olofsson, Guhle, and Borgen will be contributors.

The idea that other teams are regularly hitting on a majority of picks year after year is a myth. The Leafs had the best prospect system rated by THN this year. In the same years that Murray drafted, they hit on Grundstrom, Bracco, Timashov, Dermott, and Woll outside of the first round. And that's with more picks then Murray had.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Compared to averages at given draft spots, and how many player a team can expect to contribute out of a draft, Murray was average. Asplund, Olofsson, Guhle, and Borgen will be contributors.

The idea that other teams are regularly hitting on a majority of picks year after year is a myth. The Leafs had the best prospect system rated by THN this year. In the same years that Murray drafted, they hit on Grundstrom, Bracco, Timashov, Dermott, and Woll outside of the first round. And that's with more picks then Murray had.
Like you said, Murray's later round picks haven't trickled through the developmental system just yet. It we're lamenting the current lack of NHL talent found after the first round, especially in the context of last season's roster, that's still mostly Regier's garbage.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

The big one is Nylander. Can't miss there.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

Well I was kinda joking, but now after your reminder I'm looking around for that slipknot I made for the special occasion. My therapist won't be happy about losing out on my regular payment.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Sabres were never taking Sergachev so it’s a pointless discussion. They wanted Juolevi.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Sabres were never taking Sergachev so it’s a pointless discussion. They wanted Juolevi.

I believe they actually wanted Nylander. Murray didn’t seem to value D very much at all. He had plans to move down in 2014 if Ekblad was there at 2 and Reinhart went 1. There’s video of him of the draft floor talking about having a deal in place to move to 4 if that happened. When he says they had Nylander high I buy it because he had no poker face whatsoever.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Ok. I don’t like the trade. It took a few days for me to come to the conclusion but this feels like a Murray trade.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Ok. I don’t like the trade. It took a few days for me to come to the conclusion but this feels like a Murray trade.

I think it’s an indication that they had no plans for Fasching, so better to get something than let him walk for nothing. Right now, they traded a healthy scratch for two unsigned players, which is basically a nothing trade. If Hickey signs, then it’s at worst a wash in the short term.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Hickey is someone I wanted during his draft season and someone I thought we would have been after once he hit free agency after it was announced he wouldn't sign with Calgary or Arizona.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
McNabb would be a borderline AHL
wreck would he have stayed with the Sabres.
Wasn't good enough for the Kings.
Has played awful in the final.
Let's see how he does next year.
Except the draft picks there is not much lost in this trade.
Its not like he is an established top 4 guy.

"They would have botched his development anyway" is an interesting tact to take to defend the trade.

I've also noticed that everyone who brings up his performance in the finals conveniently doesn't mention how he played in the first 3 rounds...

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
We would've botched everyone's development, which is why every trade is justified, because all players are worth zero under the right assumptions.

Reactions: joshjull

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
"They would have botched his development anyway" is an interesting tact to take to defend the trade.

I've also noticed that everyone who brings up his performance in the finals conveniently doesn't mention how he played in the first 3 rounds...

I’ve noticed the people who talk about the first 3 rounds conveniently don’t mention how he played the last 3 years.

Reactions: debaser66

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
I’ve noticed the people who talk about the first 3 rounds conveniently don’t mention how he played the last 3 years.

Funny you should bring that up. There's most definitely some revisionist history going on there. You'd think he was a trainwreck the last 3 seasons, rather than simply inconsistent.

Reactions: debaser66

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
We would've botched everyone's development, which is why every trade is justified, because all players are worth zero under the right assumptions.
I am not trying to justify the trade.
I am just trying to point out that he has been let go by the Kings too..
If he would still be with the Kings there is a high probabilty he would still be bad.
It was this last change of scenery that activated something in him.
If anyone thinks he might be the same player if he wouldn't have been traded you re living in fantasy land.
And nobody could have kown back than that Fasching isnt developing here.
Would be funny if he is somehow traded to Vegas and becomes top6 forward.
What does the raging crowd say then.
Probably how bad Botterill is for trading that gem of a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->