Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Why not just go with espresso?
That's my preferred route, personally. I like caffeine, but I've got my limits.

Anyway, back to Suter I do feel like he's missed a step in multiple games during the first half of the season. If he can finish strong I'll write it off as injury recovery, not gelling with Dumba, or a combination of both.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
I must’ve been watching a different Suter. He looks slow as can be and gets blown away by just about everyone. Dubnyk has been responsible for theToronro, Montreal and Ottawa wins.
Wild is slow ascan be overall with ice cold sticks on 3, 22,64,16 and 12.
It’s pretty obvious Suter is not going to get back to where he was.
Offensively he has the same weak wrister he’s always had.
Having said that are Pateryn and Proseer really NHL level?
The The games that I watch the only way that the wild can win is by one goal if dubs is hot and the puck hits him some of the game. But if Dubs cools at all the wild haven’t got a chance.
Also from my vantage point Brodin has been really solid but he doesn’t get any of the power play time nearly as much as weak wrister Suter does .
I’m sure the 100 pro suter people will disagree.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I must’ve been watching a different Suter. He looks slow as can be and gets blown away by just about everyone. Dubnyk has been responsible for theToronro, Montreal and Ottawa wins.
The The games that I watch the only way that the wild can win is by one goal if dubs is hot and the puck hits him some of the game. But if Dubs cools at all the wild haven’t got a chance.
Also from my vantage point Brodin has been really solid but he doesn’t get any of the power play time nearly as much as weak wrister Suter does .
I saw Brodin make a few savvy offensive zone plays last night and it seems like I've seen more of that from him this year than I'm used to. I'm not convinced that he'd add much to the powerplay, though.

Suter's good at making reads and moving the puck on the powerplay. If he shoots he's usually looking for a rebound and not a goal. His shot looks pretty sad if you're hoping for a big one-timer, but that's not usually what he's going for. I don't think he's a wizard or anything, but he's good at what he does.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN

I don't think that's a fair statement yet (bolded). There's no question he's not back to his old self up to this point, but I don't think we'll know the real answer to that question until next year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
My main beef with Suter on the PP is that he is so slow, static, and deliberate with the puck, which allows the PK to get back in position. Good on zone entries, though. Still a very, very good player, though.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Russo from the chats last night on Suter - " i think he's always going to be bothered and it'll affect him. the road trip to canada, i thought he was great. not so much the last three or four...he still limps at times off the ice"

:help:

Although I agree with other poster, give a full normal offseason before rushing to judgements. Wonder if this could eventually be used as an excuse to "medically" retire or whatever so the Wild wouldn't get boned.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Some more details from an Athletic article this morning:
'It's starting to come back': Ryan Suter opens up about the...

His right ankle, the one that required surgery after a gruesome season-ending injury on the last day of March, was ballooning. It was late October, and the team was on its longest flight of the young season, a trek to western Canada. By the time they landed in British Columbia, Suter’s ankle was as swollen as it was in the weeks after surgery, a byproduct of three hours in the high altitude.
As the team deplaned and boarded a bus bound for a practice at the Canucks’ rink, Suter could hardly walk. Teammates looked on concerned when they got to the rink, staring as he hobbled up the stairs into the locker room.

The massive amounts of morning swelling that existed early in the season have died down in recent weeks, Suter said, even if he still has to walk with a limp when he first wakes up or first stands after sitting for a while.
“It can be a little tough getting going,” Suter said. “Once you get the weight on it and push the blood out, it’s good. I’m starting to walk normal. The problem is I can’t do anything explosive — I can’t run, I can’t jump, I can’t do that stuff.”

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
why does the high altitude cause more swelling?
How Altitude Sickness Works
The low humidity and low air pressure at high altitudescauses moisture from your skin and lungs to evaporate ata faster pace -- and your body's increased exertion requires even more water to keep it hydrated. ... This fluid can get into body tissue and cause edema (swelling ofthe face, legs and feet).
Already prone to swelling in altitude, so it makes sense that swelling would be made worse.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
I'd be willing to bet that a lot of players not named Ryan Suter would struggle a lot more from this injury.

He's not been his normal self this season, but considering he has no explosiveness, and like he said he might be a quarter-step slower(which is a ton in the NHL) I'd say he's done really admirable job considering the circumstances. Makes me think that he will be back to his normal self next season assuming he continues to heal.

I wonder what percentage he's been playing at most of this season? 75%?

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I'd be willing to bet that a lot of players not named Ryan Suter would struggle a lot more from this injury.

He's not been his normal self this season, but considering he has no explosiveness, and like he said he might be a quarter-step slower(which is a ton in the NHL) I'd say he's done really admirable job considering the circumstances. Makes me think that he will be back to his normal self next season assuming he continues to heal.

I wonder what percentage he's been playing at most of this season? 75%?
I'd wager 50%.

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
Granting his ankle injury struggles

He has ZERO speed, agility or explosiveness. When he gets caught chasing any player with the slightest bit agility, skill, speed or hardstops and moves east-to-west on him, he literally cannot handle it.
His turn radius is that of a semitruck.

He's still a main stay back there and always positionally sound and usually great IQ
but I just dont know if this is something that will improve. Hes going to be 35 next season.
At this point Parise has aged better than Suter. Parise after dealing with his back, got his speed and agility back, which he once had. Suter was already not the quickest player to begin with.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He has ZERO speed, agility or explosiveness.

As far as this goes, he never really did. Or at least, he never really used it. On defense, his signature move was almost always to let someone else get to the puck first and then take it away from them.

Reactions: TheeNorthStar

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
As far as this goes, he never really did. Or at least, he never really used it. On defense, his signature move was almost always to let someone else get to the puck first and then take it away from them.
Totally... which is why I argue him these flaws are going to get worse in the years to come as opposed to expecting Suter to "bounce back" once fully healed.

Reactions: AKL

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
He's very smart with his energy usage, and obviously is a mule of a player but he does look considered diminished speed-wise. I think he will be a Top 4 dman through next year at least, but might have trouble beyond that. Game just keeps getting quicker and hes played a lot of hard minutes over the years.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
with his injury, wouldnt that scream dont use him in ot 3v3? brodin and spurgeon can skate let them start and if need be send him out with 2 speedy forwards to counter his lack of speed.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
I still think he'll age gracefully and be effective throughout his contract. Still wins board battles, great outlet passing, great IQ.

Let him get a full offseason without surgery before declaring his skating DOA IMO

P10p

May 15, 2012
Yeah, we've seen how important a healthy offseason is for these players. I think he gets back to his old self next season.

Reactions: nstarjim

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Every year it's the same thing. He struggles near the end, because he has been overused during the season. He plays more in MN than he ever did with NSH. There is no reason that Brodin can't play a couple three more minutes and give him a rest.
Once Dumba comes back I think that he and Suter should be paired, and get a lot of O zone starts and offensive matchups, while Spurgeon and Brodin should be the shutdown pair. They are both looking excellent, IMO. Brodin is the fastest and strongest I have ever seen him, and Spurgeon is playing out of his mind.

Last edited:

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Every year it's the same thing. He struggles near the end, because he has been overused during the season. He plays more in MN than he ever did with NSH. There is no reason that Brodin can't play a couple three more minutes and give him a rest.

How much of that is Suter wanting it or demanding it as opposed to the Coaching Staff though?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Probably really close to none of it.

Are the coaches that dumb or what's going on? Los Angeles doesn't have the depth that Minnesota has defensively (can't name a defenseman after Doughty? Uh? Forbot? Martinez? Phaenuf?)...and Seth Jones plays almost a minute less per game than Suter. Even Josi plays more than a minute less than him.

He gets 2 minutes more than Spurgeon, 6 minutes more than Brodin. He gets 40 seconds more on the power play than Spurgeon.

If you look at Nashville, Subban only has 23 seconds less than Josi on the PP and Ellis, Josi, Ekholm and Subban are all less than three minutes apart in ice time. Josi has 25:12, Subban has 22:36 with Ellis at 24:09 and Ekholm at 23:22. Minnesota has Suter at 26:52, Spurgeon at 24:01, Brodin at 20:32 and...Pateryn at 17:08. Dumba was at 23:23 before he went down. Look at the drop off between the first and third defensemen in Minnesota.

Let's look at Dallas and St. Louis as well, because their goals are doing pretty good. And New York and Tampa Bay:

Alex Pietrangelo is at 23:49, Parayko is at 22:45, Bouwmeester is at 20:36 and Edmundson is at 19:27. A difference of 4 minutes and 22 seconds between the 1st and 4th defensemen for St. Louis and 1 minute, 4 seconds between 1st and 2nd. Remember, Minnesota is 2 minutes and 51 seconds for 1st and 2nd and 6 minutes and 20 seconds for 1st and 3rd. Between 1st and 4th is 9 minutes and 44 seconds, but Pateryn is trash.

Pulock (who?) leads the Islanders with 22:15 minutes, Leddy is next with 21:45, Boychuk is at 18:54 and Mayfield is at 18:49 (who?). Between the 1st and 4th is 3 minutes and 26 seconds, and between 1st and 2nd is 30 seconds.

Hedman is at 22:45, McDonagh is at 21:54, Stralman is at 20:30 and Cernak is at 19:01. So, between 1st and 4th is 3 minutes and 44 seconds and between 1st and 2nd, 51 seconds.

Klingberg is at 24:34, Lindell is at 24:31, Heiskanen is at 23:05 and Polak is at 19:15. So between 1st and 4th is 5 minutes and 19 seconds. 1st and 2nd is 3 seconds.

So, I have to reiterate:

Minnesota doesn't trust their 4th defenseman (Pateryn), which is why Suter gets all of the minutes instead of smoothing it out like Dallas, where they have three defensemen in line with another and their fourth gets a lot less, but still a fourth defenseman. Just seems odd that there is almost a 10 minute (half a period) discrepancy between 1st and 4th defensemen time on the Wild. Which means they need another defensemen they can trust (hopefully Dumba comes back and smooths it out, but still 6 minutes in between 1st and 3rd is insane, since not even 1st and 4th have that much difference).

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Yes indeed. I complain about Suter but would we rather have Pateryn eat more minutes? Ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad