Ryan Stanton Appreciation Thread

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Wow and we have him for 550k next year too. Between his 550k and Corrado's 591k this will give us some needed flexibility (also having $4.2M in Booth gone will be huge)

Wetcoaster

Wow and we have him for 550k next year too. Between his 550k and Corrado's 591k this will give us some needed flexibility (also having $4.2M in Booth gone will be huge)
I do not see Edler, Hamhuis, Garrison or Bieksa being moved anytime soon as they have NTC's and they account for a cap hit of $18.7 million collectively over the next few seasons.

Tanev is due a raise this off-season as he is a pending RFA.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I don't really care about his shot, his rushes and pinches are often suspect and he doesn't know WHEN to put it on net. But yes his passes are uniformly decent.

You see Stanton often feathering in a wrist shot when he sees traffic. You never see Tanev doing that. Also Stanton changes his trajectory based on the situation. To me it's a really noticable difference between the two.

Possibly a product of the respective coaching they had on their respective teams in the AHL.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I do not see Edler, Hamhuis, Garrison or Bieksa being moved anytime soon as they have NTC's and they account for a cap hit of $18.7 million collectively over the next few seasons.

Tanev is due a raise this off-season as he is a pending RFA.

Yeah, so maybe we're looking at adding a 500k raise for Tanev, but otherwise we don't have many large D expenditures this offseason, goaltending is locked up as well, so we should have no excuses not to allocate significant funds to our forward core.

Wetcoaster

Yeah, so maybe we're looking at adding a 500k raise for Tanev, but otherwise we don't have many large D expenditures this offseason, goaltending is locked up as well, so we should have no excuses not to allocate significant funds to our forward core.
The problem will likely be that there is not much on the free agent market and the trade market???

Willting*

I appreciate the turnover in the third period. Hope we can all come to an agreement over that.

Buffalo In A Carwash

Registered User?
Apr 10, 2012
Quesnel
No...Brookbank and rozi are better. Dalhbeck, johns, dahlstrom, paliotta, ..heck even fournier, brown, and holl are better prospects.

I am glad Stanton got his chance and is doing well with it. He was a good player and did everything the team asked him too. Again our depth makes him going a non-issue. Much like trading former first rounder Olsen for Versteeg...it's all good in Chicago on the blue-line now and going forward.

Yeah, I'm sure all of them are better prospects than a kid leading all rookie Dmen in points.

edit: 2nd leading in points. Missed Krug.

Last edited:

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
While Stanton has looked dcent over a very small sample size, he's playing soft minutes. There's a reason why he went undrafted despite putting up important minutes in juniors. He's likely a 6-8 d-man in the NHL and probbaly won't have a long career. Every once in a while a player like Stanton will surprise, but it's way too early to say that he's going to be one of those guys. We shall see over the course of this year who he holds up.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
While Stanton has looked dcent over a very small sample size, he's playing soft minutes. There's a reason why he went undrafted despite putting up important minutes in juniors. He's likely a 6-8 d-man in the NHL and probbaly won't have a long career. Every once in a while a player like Stanton will surprise, but it's way too early to say that he's going to be one of those guys. We shall see over the course of this year who he holds up.

He's looked pretty damn solid to me. Limited yes, but I think he's already surprised. See what the future holds for him, but from what I've seen so far, I wouldn't bet against him continuing to progress into a decent NHL defenceman.

Was happy to see him stand in there with a much bigger Jordan Nolan and stick up for his teammates. Those kinds of things are very positive signs for the team.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
He's looked pretty damn solid to me. Limited yes, but I think he's already surprised. See what the future holds for him, but from what I've seen so far, I wouldn't bet against him continuing to progress into a decent NHL defenceman.

Was happy to see him stand in there with a much bigger Jordan Nolan and stick up for his teammates. Those kinds of things are very positive signs for the team.

I agree, haven't really seen anyone else on the team step up in this regard... wasn't he the one who beat the crap out of a SJ player for snow showering Luongo as well?

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I could see Tanev traded in the offseason if we are unsuccessful at bringing in top 6 help. Stanton has been excellent, and Corrado will be ready, with Tanev due for a raise.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Still think Nolan got a dirty punch in to start that off but Stanton held his own, guys like Nolan are tough to fight cause he just flails

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

I agree, on a good blueline, he's a #6 guy as he is right now. Of course he could improve like Tanev has as well since he's still young and an NHL rookie. The fact that he's willing to drop the gloves as well is just an added bonus, it's nice to have player that can play and fight if need be. Excellent pickup, gotta give credit to Gillis and co.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I'll join in on the Stanton love-fest. Guy's been a solid No. 6 defender. His offensive contributions have been a pleasant surprise, and I'm really loving his willingness to defend his teammates. Although really, it was a punk move on Nolan's part to turn down the invitations of the two bigger players (Kassian and Sestito) only to accept the smaller Stanton's challenge.

Reminded me of another guy who took the smallest challenger in the aftermath of a hit on a star player.

Wetcoaster

Feature article on Ryan Stanton from the CBC's Tim Wharmsby - Ryan Stanton has made most of his shot in Vancouver

Interesting fact his mother is from Burnaby.

Ryan Stanton never was told flat out he wasn't talented enough, or he wasn't big enough, or there was something missing from his game.

Yet, the Vancouver Canucks defenceman was passed over in three NHL entry drafts and watched as several of his Moose Jaw Warrior teammates like Travis Hamonic, Ty Wishart and Keaton Ellerby were selected.

Stanton's chances at playing pro out of junior appeared so grim that as his overage season in Moose Jaw was nearing an end four years ago, the native of St. Albert, Alta., looked into returning home to attend school and play for the University of Alberta in the fall of 2010.

But all of a sudden a few NHL clubs knocked on his door. He had played alongside Hamonic in 2008-09 and again the following year before Hamonic was dealt to Brandon. Some pro teams, including the Philadelphia Flyers and Chicago Blackhawks, took notice.

He chose the Blackhawks. Their Western Canada scout Bruce Franklin had identified Stanton to his bosses back in Chicago a few seasons earlier.
Each game is important, including the Heritage Classic against the Ottawa Senators at B.C. Place on Sunday (CBC, CBCSports.ca, 3 p.m. ET).

The game reminds Stanton of his days growing up as a kid in St. Albert, when he would meet friends at the outdoor rink at Muriel Martin Elementary School, a block away from the family home.

"I have so many memories from those days," he said. "I would come from practice and then go to that rink and play all night. I really believe the time spent there helped me develop, too."​

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
This guy is a stud, he's our most reliable defenceman after Tanev IMO (Tanev wasn't as good as he can be yesterday). He can skate, move the puck, hit and play smart defensive hockey. He was playing on his right side last game and was solid as can be, I think he should get some top 4 minutes now.

If Tanev is out for next game, I wouldn't mind to see something like:

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Sbisa - Stanton
Edler - Weber

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Stanton has been a key to this team's depth. He's still relatively young, and I don't doubt the possibility that he becomes a top-4 d-man later on in his career.

At his cap hit, he is a steal. We got him for free, to boot.

...and to think people thought Sbisa would potentially displace him.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Why would Sbisa have to displace him? They're #5 and 6 on the depth chart.

And I don't think Stanton has played more than Sbisa yet this preseason...

I'm mostly talking about people who thought Sbisa/Weber would be the 3rd pairing and Stanton left out cuz he's on the left side and there is some sort of "obligation" to play Sbisa...

...and the odd person who tried to rationalize it by downplaying what Stanton (an NHL rookie last year) has done so far.

Sounds stupid, but these discussions came up pretty frequently in July, and it was pretty frustrating. Like the Tanev discussions a couple years ago... :shakehead

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
Stanton has been a great pick up, and he continues to impress me. I love his game, its simple yet effective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad