Ryan Stanton Appreciation Thread

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
This guy has been GREAT. Perfect bottom pairing Dman. No nonsense, steady, physical, some fairly deft passing, and you barely notice him because he's not making countless boneheaded errors. He's like Bizarro Alberts.

TmX

Feb 3, 2011
great pick up ! I have been nothing but happy with his contribution. I was also very impressed with him stepping up and defending Lou.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
great pick up ! I have been nothing but happy with his contribution. I was also very impressed with him stepping up and defending Lou.

Yeah, it's sweet to have a d partner for BIEKSA that is also ready and willing to fight. You know sooner or later a brawl is going to break out and stanton/bieksa are gonna lay the smackdown!

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
i was mildly skeptical on his first half dozen games because he might have just been riding a sort of 'first/last kick at the can' kind of high but regardless of his own play (which has consistently been good) i'm actually pretty happy he's found a mesh with bieksa

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
Love this pickup. Gillis finally filled out the bottom depth roles for playoff/reg season injuries on D. Now just gotta add a piece or two in the forward corps and this team will fill out nicely.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
probably the guy that the canucks hoped yann sauve could one day become

the only way i ever noticed this guy before the waiver claim was during the rockford bench clearing brawls that kyle beach would always instigate

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
probably the guy that the canucks hoped yann sauve could one day become

the only way i ever noticed this guy before the waiver claim was during the rockford bench clearing brawls that kyle beach would always instigate

Yann Sauve is nothing but a warm body in Utica right now.

Ugh.

Outside99*

Its amazing to me how Stanton has so seamlessly made the transition. Seems unfazed by the higher speed of play. Does not look at all like a defender who had a grand total of 1 NHL game under his belt prior to joining the Canucks. :handclap:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Its amazing to me how Stanton has so seamlessly made the transition. Seems unfazed by the higher speed of play. Does not look at all like a defender who had a grand total of 1 NHL game under his belt prior to joining the Canucks. :handclap:

He's actually being under-utilized right now, if anything. If (and when) we have defenders injured, I have no worries at all about his icetime going up to 20 minutes/game.

His outlet passing and composure with the puck is what has been most surprising. Will be a top-4 defender down the road.

Outside99*

He's actually being under-utilized right now, if anything. If (and when) we have defenders injured, I have no worries at all about his icetime going up to 20 minutes/game.

His outlet passing and composure with the puck is what has been most surprising. Will be a top-4 defender down the road.

If that's the case, then the Canucks' blue line is set for a very long time with 3 current and future top 4ers with an avg. Age of 22-23 (4 with avg age of 23.5 if you include Edler), on top of an existing top 4. Very good problem to have.

Blackhawks must be kicking themselves (Brookbank was anything but poised in the SCF).

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If that's the case, then the Canucks' blue line is set for a very long time with 3 current and future top 4ers with an avg. Age of 22-23 (4 with avg age of 23.5 if you include Edler), on top of an existing top 4. Very good problem to have.

Blackhawks must be kicking themselves (Brookbank was anything but poised in the SCF).

Brookbank didn't play in finals last year ,, He was #7 dman (like he is now)

As for Stanton.. It sucks but with Dahlbeck in AHL (3rd rounder in 2011) and Johns (2nd rounder in 2010) set to join Hawks organization in summer the Hawks aren't hurting for potential bottom pairing SAH guys

I liked Stanton but the Hawks are doing just fine without him. Good to see him getting his chance and playing well

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I'm happy we grabbed Stanton,he really solidifies our defence and he has enough potential to move up to the second pair if we get hit by injuries.
We should have been able draft and develop a bottom pairing D (at a minimum) with all the picks we've spent on guys like Rahimi,Ellington,Sauve,Price,Polasek,Andersson,and Hannay but collectively they've all amounted to a whole lot of nothing.Only Andersson is even a passable AHLer.The rest are already gone or won't be re-signed.

Outside99*

Brookbank didn't play in finals last year ,, He was #7 dman (like he is now)

As for Stanton.. It sucks but with Dahlbeck in AHL (3rd rounder in 2011) and Johns (2nd rounder in 2010) set to join Hawks organization in summer the Hawks aren't hurting for potential bottom pairing SAH guys

I liked Stanton but the Hawks are doing just fine without him. Good to see him getting his chance and playing well

Whatever playoff game where he got ventilated.

Until those prospects are in the show, they'll remain unknown quantities. Stanton has already shown that he belongs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad