Roll 4 lines
Kreider, Zib, Zuc
Names, Chytil, Buch
Vesey, Hayes, Spooner
X, Andersson , Fast
McLeod
x is 1 of the new guys from euro or Lettieri
Holland , Belesky, Howden start in minors

I would not rush Chytil and Andersson and obviously Howden, let them gel a little bit in AHL with their future teammates.

I want to see Beleskey, Nieves and Meskanen make the team.

Reactions: NewYorkNick

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Roll 4 lines
Kreider, Zib, Zuc
Names, Chytil, Buch
Vesey, Hayes, Spooner
X, Andersson , Fast
McLeod
x is 1 of the new guys from euro or Lettieri
Holland , Belesky, Howden start in minors

What happens if Andersson and Chytil aren't ready?

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Could this be part of a bigger deal? :sarcasm:

It ALWAYS is!!!

5f20cafc56ab22fc45e2dbc3e5a02ec6x.jpg

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I would not rush Chytil and Andersson and obviously Howden, let them gel a little bit in AHL with their future teammates.

I want to see Beleskey, Nieves and Meskanen make the team.
For all the crap I disagree with you about, I completely agree with you here.

Many people here will hate the idea of our young guns starting and playing in the AHL.

I think time in the AHL is a great idea for young players adapting to the NHL grind.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Rangers: “we’re going to have a bunch of spots for our young players to fight for this upcoming season on our rebuilding team”

Also Rangers “We’ve re-signed everyone to two year deals, and didn’t trade a single person to create said spots”

You don't just create spots for youngsters. They have to earn it. There's no harm in having Chytil and Andersson in the AHL. They're still teenagers. I wouldn't be surprised if Howden makes the team out or camp. Not that he's better, but he's a bit older, stronger and would possibly be a better fit at this moment in the NHL. And then there's the slide eligibility for the teenagers of course.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Don't mind it, thought he and Namestnikov would get similar deals. Just confused by the Hayes one.

It’s basically Hayes wanted long term , rangers don’t so he would only take 1 year not more as it buys ufa yrs

So he’s not part of the future plan he’s a filler and trade chip

In theory Chytil , Andersson , Howden are all Cs that will play. Hopefully no one busts or they have to sign someone as a ufa later

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I really think this stockpiling of picks/prospects is going to go on longer than many people are thinking. I'm all for it if that is the plan. If they are going to do it, they may as well over do it as that is the most likely way they end up getting lucky and having some of those picks/prospects turn into stuff that is much better than where their draft slot would have indicated.

I wrote this yesterday in the Hayes thread, add Spooner to the 2020 list.

The possible trade deadlines

2019 Zucc, Hayes pending UFAs, what are the guesses to what they return? I'm not entirely convinced either will return even a late 1st but not out of the realm of possibility.

2020 Kreider, Name, Vesey, Fast pending UFAs, I think maybe Kreider depending on how he is playing returns a late 1st but the others probably not.

2021 Shattenkirk, Staal, Smith, Lundqvist, other than maybe Shattenkirk if he is playing well still at that point, I don't see much return there but still some sort of futures.

Spooner?

Given that is where they are, moving those players sooner rather than later has to be the best idea, imagine if any of them become injured and can not be sold at the deadlines prior to them becoming a UFA.

Plus selling sooner likely puts the Rangers in the better draft lottery odds. It's sort of time to tank whether or not one feels that strategy is good, it's just how they seem to be positioned.

If that is the general idea, I kind of understand it, not sure I agree that maximizes the returns that could have happened, or that it will make much sense when the expansion draft comes about, but if the plan is to sell for the next three straight deadlines, the signings this year makes some sense in that regard.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
You don't just create spots for youngsters. They have to earn it. There's no harm in having Chytil and Andersson in the AHL. They're still teenagers. I wouldn't be surprised if Howden makes the team out or camp. Not that he's better, but he's a bit older, stronger and would possibly be a better fit at this moment in the NHL. And then there's the slide eligibility for the teenagers of course.

I would think all 3 could use more upper body strength but Chytil has tree trunks for legs. He is the youngest but IMO he is the strongest overall of the three. Andersson's lower center of gravity helps him.

There's also 'stupid' stuff to consider such as which of our forwards are going to be penalty killers opposed to the 'smarter' stuff who's going to be on the power play. Zibanejad and Zuccarello could be among the penalty killer's but I think the Rangers would prefer that they're not or not that much. Kreider, Spooner, Vesey, Buchnevich--maybe Vesey could make himself more useful but forget those guys for the most part. Fast and Hayes are givens--Nieves if he makes the team. This is where guys like Nieves or Meskanen or Howden could find a spot on the team--doing the unappreciated stuff. We really need at least 5 forwards who can penalty kill and none of them are going to be Grabner or Hagelin or Brian Boyle with his reach and face-off skills or with maybe the exception of Fast likely to be quite as smart at reading plays as Stepan.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
For all the crap I disagree with you about, I completely agree with you here.

Many people here will hate the idea of our young guns starting and playing in the AHL.

I think time in the AHL is a great idea for young players adapting to the NHL grind.

It’s really a tough balance. You don’t want to give kids spots, you want them to earn them. But you also don’t want to make is so challenging that you’re sending them to the AHL when they are ready for the NHL.

Which is why you make sure that you only have a certain number of “bonafide” NHL players. The Rangers are doing this right. Zibanejad, Hayes, Namestnikov, Buchnevich, Zuccarello, Spooner, Kreider, Vesey, and Fast make 9 bonafide NHL forwards. The rest are borderline and present a challenge for the kids, but not a prohibitive one. Frankly, I think 2 of those guys could be moved and lesser stopgap players brought in and you still haven’t gone too far in the other direction.

It needs to be a mix of opportunity and insulation, and then you leave the rest up to the players themselves. If prospects deserve to stay, they should stay.

CaptBagel

May 2, 2018
Now put Vesey Hayes Spoon together and give them a ton of mins 5v5 and PP to inflate their numbers then trade all 3(or at least hay and spoon) at deadline

Reactions: jas

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I would suggest trading him but I doubt anyone takes him @ $4m now
They can easily retain 50% on him if needed and the structure of his contract is easily movable. He has no signing bonuses and is due $4M each year, so my bet is they’re banking on him putting up 40-50 points, and they’ll ship him off as scoring depth next trade deadline.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I really think this stockpiling of picks/prospects is going to go on longer than many people are thinking. I'm all for it if that is the plan. If they are going to do it, they may as well over do it as that is the most likely way they end up getting lucky and having some of those picks/prospects turn into stuff that is much better than where their draft slot would have indicated.

I wrote this yesterday in the Hayes thread, add Spooner to the 2020 list.

I don't think the Rangers will be 'selling' per se for another few years, I do expect them to not buy aimlessly like they did with Yandle, MSL and Staal. I think Gorton will make smart moves while the young players fill in and then we will see him be aggressive again.

I don't think it has to be binary. Seller or Buyer. There are lots of teams that continue stocking up their pipeline while competing.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't think the Rangers will be 'selling' per se for another few years, I do expect them to not buy aimlessly like they did with Yandle, MSL and Staal. I think Gorton will make smart moves while the young players fill in and then we will see him be aggressive again.

I don't think it has to be binary. Seller or Buyer. There are lots of teams that continue stocking up their pipeline while competing.

Those Teams always end up topping out as 2nd round fodder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad