Confirmed with Link: Ryan Spooner re-signed [2 years, $4.0MM AAV]

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
This probably belongs in a different thread but I’ll put it here to answer multiple posts.

I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of loading the team up with flawed talent.

The entire league is flawed. There is no perfect player. McDavid has flaws. Crosby has flaws. They are just the least flawed players in the league.

I’ve read in numerous articles where Quinn preaches defense first and that he expects his players to take the body.

Does that even remotely describe Spooner or any of the above players?

I've seen numerous articles where Quinn wants to move the puck quickly up the ice and play at a higher tempo. That describes those players fairly well. And Smith isn't physical and defense first? That's his calling card and why he was re-signed.

Therefore, signing Spooner is a big giant waste of time to me and if you’re going just to trade him for picks/b-level prospect, then those picks should’ve been acquired in the first place instead of taking on another teams dead weight.

That money could’ve been used in UFA to address an actual need.

Other teams want to retain some future assets as well. The Bruins most likely were not going to entertain trading their top 3 picks to us in the draft to get Nash and Holden. Believe it or not, some teams want to continue to draft some talent in the top 60 picks, even while contending.

Spooner has NHL value. He can play center and wing. He's a better winger than a center. He is signed to a short term deal. The 4 million in cap is a drop in the bucket to us. We have quite a bit of space available and we're not actively using it this season. He can be dealt this deadline, this upcoming draft, or next deadline. Three trade windows, three different types of value. Same for Vlad, or pretty much any forward not named Zibanejad that was on the team last year. They all expire after next season (19-20).

Gorton continually talked about not being able to ice a team full of 18-20 year old players. You don't have success that way. That even comes with draft selections and draft capital. You cannot have a ton of picks only for 1 year. They need to be spread out. Spooner could net us some valuable 2019 or 2020 picks. Same with Vlad, Hayes, etc. Even the Leafs did this. They keep JVR and Bozak. Held onto Komarov and re-signed Kadri, all while getting their new team ready via the draft. Most of those guys are gone now, but they have a new core, and were able to sign Tavares.

You can't effectively draft 15 players in one draft. They all are the same age, contracts expire at the same time, become RFAs and UFAs at the same time. You need balance. You'll need guys who are on an ELC when our current group of players on ELCs are on their 2nd and 3rd deals, for cap purposes and for continued success. Rebuilds do not happen over night. They take time.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Kreider and Fast will be extended and the rest will be deadline deals. We will not be competing for the Cup in two years, IMO. So this is fine.

I'll be honest with you, right now I think Kreider is probably 50/50 depending on what he does this upcoming season.

If he grows into that leader role, and is more in the 25-30 goal range, I think his odds of being extended long-term will increase significantly.

If he's hovering around the 20 goal mark again, be it a result of injuries or consistency, I think his odds of being moved goes up.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'll be honest with you, right now I think Kreider is probably 50/50 depending on what he does this upcoming season.

If he grows into that leader role, and is more in the 25-30 goal range, I think his odds of being extended long-term will increase significantly.

If he's hovering around the 20 goal mark again, be it a result of injuries or consistency, I think his odds of being moved goes up.

Very well could be the case. Either way, this team is going to be *VASTLY* different in 2-3 years.

Reactions: Mac n Gs and Edge

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
This guy's a cream puff.
OK, he's a good passer but I wouldn't go holding my breath waiting for him to back check or score a goal

Again, I haven't really seen any evidence where the organizational philosophy that isn't really fully baked at the moment, you know - the one you called Spooner "not a fit" for - is anti-cream puff. In fact, seems like they've moving more towards offensively gifted players.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
This probably belongs in a different thread but I’ll put it here to answer multiple posts.

I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of loading the team up with flawed talent.

Zib, Shattenkirk, Smith, Spooner..

All of these players each have well documented flaws so why build a team to lose?

I do understand that the team needs bodies but the youngsters also need vets that have had some level of success in order to teach them how to win.

I’ve read in numerous articles where Quinn preaches defense first and that he expects his players to take the body.

Does that even remotely describe Spooner or any of the above players?

The answer is no, these players are known for playing a game that’s the exact opposite.

Therefore, signing Spooner is a big giant waste of time to me and if you’re going just to trade him for picks/b-level prospect, then those picks should’ve been acquired in the first place instead of taking on another teams dead weight.

That money could’ve been used in UFA to address an actual need.

Just my opinion..

What UFA player was available that would address those needs? On top of that, which UFA player that addresses those needs, were looking to sign 1-2 years and waste their UFA years?

We're not going to unload the entire team, replace them with aging vets who "have leadership" but not much else, and then bring in all our young prospect. That has disaster written all over it. Signing UFA's as placement holders is only really good when you've got a team already in place.

Perhaps if there was a Justin Williams available, it might be worth having that person in the locker room, but looking at the UFA list, it seemed rather weak for placement holders.

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I just try and remember that this isn't the finished product or vision the Rangers have --- this is the transition period.

Spooner, Names, and others probably aren't here for the long-haul, but they're here now. At the very least, they're all NHL players and they give us some versatility to play both center and the wings. I think that's their biggest value to the Rangers at the moment.

Beyond that, we'll see how the youngster progress this season and the hope is to transition them into NHL players.

I've often pointed to 2019 as the offseason where the Rangers really dip their feet in the free agent pool. But in the meantime, I think we're looking at a team that is going to have to live with its flaws for the upcoming season and will probably be an active seller at the deadline. Maybe not quite with the returns of 2018, but definitely at least a decent amount of picks and maybe some prospects.

I'm still fairly convinced that the Rangers, at least in the back of their minds, would love to find their first line center of the near future in the 2019 draft, along with some additional offensive depth.
I think that this is an important point that often gets overlooked. The lack of long-term commitments gives Gorton so much flexibility, and he’ll only have to start worrying about RFAs around 20-21. In the interim, he’ll try to evaluate the guys on short term deals and decide whether or not they’ll be worth keeping over the next five years. If they stay, they already have proven track records as solid support players in the NHL, and they should be reasonably inexpensive.
I do think they still need that one “wow factor” player, but luckily we may have that option in the upcoming free agent market and draft. I’m also not counting out that he’s also stockpiling all of these assets to make a quantity for quality move somewhere down the line.

Reactions: Trxjw

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
ryan spooner is a plug in type player who can perform a role and offer some value. he's not expensive, he's not signed long term and he's not old. he's just ryan spooner.

the rebuild is real and he's a fill in body while the retool is in play.

plus, his name is weird. spooner. its just uncomfortable. i think forker is better. ryan forker or like dylan forker. thats a cool name. he would score more for sure with that name.

the name thing matters. when push comes to shove, if your name is like really cool - and his isnt, it makes a difference. you cant even "russian-ize" it. ryan spoonetzov doesnt work. spoonasenko. naw.

this shit matters. when you are rebuilding i mean....

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
^^^ Does that make enough sense to you @Hire Sather ?

It doesn't, because the fact of the matter is that Spooner is our asset and the contract is fair without risk.

Instead of just getting a 2nd rounder last year, we acquired a player with upside that could increase his value with us under a very trade able term.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Another solid move for the rebuild. Like the extra year as well. Gives us flexibility and notches up the value on the return in a trade if he can have a bit of a breakout year this season.

I disagree with the assertions that he won't fit Quinn's system. It's about puck possession and getting through the neutral zone with pace. Those are Spooner's strengths. I actually expect him to perform quite well.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
ryan spooner is a plug in type player who can perform a role and offer some value. he's not expensive, he's not signed long term and he's not old. he's just ryan spooner.

the rebuild is real and he's a fill in body while the retool is in play.

plus, his name is weird. spooner. its just uncomfortable. i think forker is better. ryan forker or like dylan forker. thats a cool name. he would score more for sure with that name.

the name thing matters. when push comes to shove, if your name is like really cool - and his isnt, it makes a difference. you cant even "russian-ize" it. ryan spoonetzov doesnt work. spoonasenko. naw.

this **** matters. when you are rebuilding i mean....
What about Knifer? Or Sporker? I feel like he's more of a Sporker than a Spooner, anyway.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Another solid move for the rebuild. Like the extra year as well. Gives us flexibility and notches up the value on the return in a trade if he can have a bit of a breakout year this season.

I disagree with the assertions that he won't fit Quinn's system. It's about puck possession and getting through the neutral zone with pace. Those are Spooner's strengths. I actually expect him to perform quite well.

I tend to agree, and I get a kick out of these people who think they can even sniff what this team's identity is and how Spooner "wont fit" it. People need to remember that this team was nearly torn down completely over the last 2 years. Establishing an identity is a ways away. Competing for a cup is even further away. In the meantime, talented transitional-type players like Spooner are a no-lose type of short term solution.

Reactions: Trxjw

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
What does “flawed talent” even mean?

It means that he's not without talent but he has quite a few holes in his game.

And for a few posts above.
Have you guys actually spent any time reading up on Quinn's coaching style?

I ask be because if you had then you'd know that Quinn wants to play an in your face physical game.
He wants you to take the body whenever available.
He wants you to take a hit to make a play.
He wants you to get the puck back quickly if you lose possession.
He wants you to play strong defensively.

On what planet has that ever been apart of Spooner's game?

If you ask anyone in Boston, one of their biggest gripes was that Spooner disappears when the game gets physical so does that sound like Spooner is a fit for this type of system??

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I just try and remember that this isn't the finished product or vision the Rangers have --- this is the transition period.

Spooner, Names, and others probably aren't here for the long-haul, but they're here now. At the very least, they're all NHL players and they give us some versatility to play both center and the wings. I think that's their biggest value to the Rangers at the moment.

Beyond that, we'll see how the youngster progress this season and the hope is to transition them into NHL players.

I've often pointed to 2019 as the offseason where the Rangers really dip their feet in the free agent pool. But in the meantime, I think we're looking at a team that is going to have to live with its flaws for the upcoming season and will probably be an active seller at the deadline. Maybe not quite with the returns of 2018, but definitely at least a decent amount of picks and maybe some prospects.

I'm still fairly convinced that the Rangers, at least in the back of their minds, would love to find their first line center of the near future in the 2019 draft, along with some additional offensive depth.

One of my main issues with this transitional team is I don't see the north-south grittier lineup. Some people seem to think that Matt Beleskey is going to make the team and that that will be some kind of solution. That thought doesn't leave me optimistic at all. I don't know what's going to happen either if Chytil and Andersson find themselves getting regularly targeted by the Wilson's and the Gudas's, the Clutterbuck's and Martin's. I guess that they'll have to take their lumps and if they get hurt---oh well.

Reactions: NYR and Cag29

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I don't know what's going to happen either if Chytil and Andersson find themselves getting regularly targeted by the Wilson's and the Gudas's, the Clutterbuck's and Martin's. I guess that they'll have to take their lumps and if they get hurt---oh well.

giphy.gif

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
One of my main issues with this transitional team is I don't see the north-south grittier lineup. Some people seem to think that Matt Beleskey is going to make the team and that that will be some kind of solution. That thought doesn't leave me optimistic at all. I don't know what's going to happen either if Chytil and Andersson find themselves getting regularly targeted by the Wilson's and the Gudas's, the Clutterbuck's and Martin's. I guess that they'll have to take their lumps and if they get hurt---oh well.

If that happens the Rangers will presumably win a lot of games due to having a ton of powerplay chances

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
Good signing. The only dumb move IMO this summer was bringing back the useless goon.

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph

Maybe we could add a Swedish spin to Spooner. Spoonstrom, Spoonberg, Spoonqvist, Spoonson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad