Confirmed with Link: Ryan Spooner re-signed [2 years, $4.0MM AAV]

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not a fan. Give him two years and Hayes one? Hayes was probably either one or 6--and nothing in between but even so---really? Spooner's kind of like Valeri Kamensky/Eric Christensen redux. His strength is offense and he's a perimeter player.

Reactions: NYR and Ori

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Rangers: “we’re going to have a bunch of spots for our young players to fight for this upcoming season on our rebuilding team”

Also Rangers “We’ve re-signed everyone to two year deals, and didn’t trade a single person to create said spots”
Spots for young players are earned, injuries in training camp also shape the roster

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Not a fan. Give him two years and Hayes one? Hayes was probably either one or 6--and nothing in between but even so---really? Spooner's kind of like Valeri Kamensky/Eric Christensen redux. His strength is offense and he's a perimeter player.

Someone’s gotta score and he will get pts. He’s a good filler player on a rebuilding team. They will flip him later for futures

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Someone’s gotta score and he will get pts. He’s a good filler player on a rebuilding team. They will flip him later for futures

He's never scored more than 13 goals in a season---he's much more the passer than the shooter and part of that is because he doesn't go hard to the net. He'll put up some points especially if he gets plenty of pwp time. He's not physical and he's not very good defensively. I seriously doubt he'll be penalty killing.

Maybe it doesn't matter that much. If we're going to suck anyway--he'll be part of the suck.

Reactions: NYR

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
He's never scored more than 13 goals in a season---he's much more the passer than the shooter and part of that is because he doesn't go hard to the net. He'll put up some points especially if he gets plenty of pwp time. He's not physical and he's not very good defensively. I seriously doubt he'll be penalty killing.

Maybe it doesn't matter that much. If we're going to suck anyway--he'll be part of the suck.

$4M x2 for career high 13 goals.
Hahaha
That is all...

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
The thing about spooner is that he kinda plays the exact opposite style that Quinn said he's preaching...a hard north south game...I'd call spooner a fairly soft east west type player.

Which means he’s likely not here for the long-term.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Rangers: “we’re going to have a bunch of spots for our young players to fight for this upcoming season on our rebuilding team”

Also Rangers “We’ve re-signed everyone to two year deals, and didn’t trade a single person to create said spots”

That's not exactly wrong. There's going to be a spots for Chytil, Andersson, maybe somebody else. And on defense, there's no guarantee who's going to make it. Assume, Staal, Shatty, Skjei, That leaves Pionk, Gimour, Hajek, Smith, DeAngelo, O'Gara, Claesson and really anybody else fighting for those spots.

That's a lot of spots for young players who were thrown into the line-up by default, or now having to earn the spot by beating out others. It was never going to be, we're going to try and get as many young player we have in our system, inserted to our lineup this year, or at least competing for spots. Most just aren't ready.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
It's a good thing you don't just get paid for goals. Joe Thornton would have retired after his contract ended in 2014.

Yeah trust me..Spooner will most likely sign in the KHL long before Thornton stops producing and retires lol

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Nothing to dislike here. Not going to bother with repetition of some of the quality already posted.

For any that strongly dislike the signing, you're THAT guy and I avoid you at all costs at a work lunch.

Reactions: stjokke

darko

Feb 16, 2009
That's true, obviously they can, but my point is I don't want him on the team next season, and if they don't he will still be here. I would have rather given him 1 year, that's all.

Depends how quickly the kids come on.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I don’t really have a problem with this.

If he works, they have wiggle room.

If he doesn’t work, they have wiggle room.

That’s pretty much been the name of the game this summer.

When you're at this stage of a rebuild, you shouldn't have to worry about wiggle room IMO.
#AnotherStupidSigning

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Now with Spooner signed this gives us
a much clearer picture of what our lines
will look like. I know we have open spots
for some prospects who step up and make
the team out of camp. What do you guys
think opening night will look like?

Roll 4 lines
Kreider, Zib, Zuc