Confirmed with Link: Ryan Spooner re-signed [2 years, $4.0MM AAV]

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It doesn't really matter whether he's here this year and next year, as long as he's flipped for picks/prospects eventually. Just leaves little room in the lineup

KZB
Spooner-Chytil-Zuccarello
Andersson-Hayes-Namestnikov
Vesey-Nieves-Fast
Lindqvist/Meskanen

Howden and Lindqvist/Meskanen will probably be waiting until the trade deadline for their chances once Zucc and Hayes go.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
We're completely ignoring one possibility which is that, like Brassard, Spooner finally comes into his own with this team and actually sticks around.

It's not a foregone conclusion that he or Namestnikov are only ticking trade-bombs just because we added them in deals and they're above age 22.

Antman427

Jul 6, 2018
Now with Spooner signed this gives us
a much clearer picture of what our lines
will look like. I know we have open spots
for some prospects who step up and make
the team out of camp. What do you guys
think opening night will look like?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I said after the draft that I think management likes who they have and probably go into the season seeing how it plays out. No trades until the TDL.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
No issue with this.

Kind of surprised that at least one of Hayes, Namestnikov or Spooner didn't get traded.

That's because Miller did get traded. We need a full roster of NHL'rs, which is what we have at this point:

Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Spooner-Hayes-Zuccarello
Vesey-Andersson/Chytil/Howden-Namestnikov
Whateverthef***-fitson-thisline

I like this approach. The roster does not require any of the high profile prospects to make it to the top 9 this year. Rangers have plenty of lower tier prospects who can compete for the bottom 6--Nieves, Fontaine, Holland, Lettieri, Meskanen, Lindqvist, Fogarty, etc.

If Andersson, Chytil, Howden, Fontaine, etc aren't ready, then the NHL team is simply going to be mediocre, and that's ok. If they are ready, they'll be at the point where they are pushing others out of spots listed above, and that's a good problem to have

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Still think he's gone before the season starts, but the deeper into the summer it goes the less likely I see it happening.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Rangers: “we’re going to have a bunch of spots for our young players to fight for this upcoming season on our rebuilding team”

Also Rangers “We’ve re-signed everyone to two year deals, and didn’t trade a single person to create said spots”

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
As long as Spooner and Names can produce at a 40-45 pt pace, I would think the 2nd year would increase value at the TDL. I like both signings. It also gives the team flexibility to move guys this season(Zucc, Hayes) and still have decent vets around if these two don't go anywhere.

Or maybe they show they are a great fit for Quinn's system. No harm no foul here.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Rangers: “we’re going to have a bunch of spots for our young players to fight for this upcoming season on our rebuilding team”

Also Rangers “We’ve re-signed everyone to two year deals, and didn’t trade a single person to create said spots”
They also acquired 1 (one) player from outside the organization this summer. Do you not see spots for young players to fight for?

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

They also acquired 1 (one) player from outside the organization this summer. Do you not see spots for young players to fight for?

I'm not sure about you guys, but I'm all but certain that McLeod, Beleskey, and Holland are shoe-ins for this team.

If Chytil, Andersson, Howden, etc cannot beat out those guys, they should be in the AHL.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Plenty of spots for kids.

Kzb
Zucc Hayes spooner
Fasth namestnikov vesey
? ? ?
Mccleod

3 forward spots unless I'm forgetting someone.

On defense...

Skjei shattenkirk
Smith ?
staal ?
Claeson

2 defenseman

Henrik
?

Rangers could have 6 rookies on the team next year.

That's a TON

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
We're completely ignoring one possibility which is that, like Brassard, Spooner finally comes into his own with this team and actually sticks around.

It's not a foregone conclusion that he or Namestnikov are only ticking trade-bombs just because we added them in deals and they're above age 22.

I mean, sure if they really show they're valuable players that the team might want to keep around, it's not a terrible idea. I don't think you win the cup with everyone on their ELC's. Having some older and good players signed is a smart plan.

As for spots for young players...this is pretty standard stuff. You might want young players to make the team but you don't want to just hand everyone a spot with no regard to whether they're ready for it or not.

Trades, injuries, poor play, guys winning a spot in camp, things will happen

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think he’s Zuccarello insurance in the case he’s moved. The guy puts up points and with a legitimate role will most likely continue to do so. His contract demands were obviously in line with what the Rangers wanted to pay on a two year deal

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I like it.

It`s a meh for me. I know our galaxy is relative young, but right now we need right sided defenders who have top 4 potential, because I doubt we have time to draft one next year. And more likely one of Spooner or Hayes will end up being moved before this new season is over.

Yes, I think Spooner over performed end of last season for sure.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad