Player Discussion: Ryan Pulock Discussion Part II

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
It’s refreshing to have a D man finally develop into a bonafide two-way, second pairing.

Still has some work to do in his own zone, but he’s cleaned his game up.

Isle1966

Nov 18, 2003
I watched him closely vs the rags last night in his own zone and he just did everything right. He is our best D man now. He is tied with Boychuk as our best pk guy. Hopefully he is getting 25 minutes a night.

Reactions: dood and SI90

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I feel really bad for the poor souls that take this shot off the foot in front of the net.

For Lee's sake I hope he put on those skate protectors.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I may have been to conservative in my predictions. I said Pulock would score 10+ goals this season. This is looking more like saying the sky is blue and water is wet.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I may have been to conservative in my predictions. I said Pulock would score 10+ goals this season. This is looking more like saying the sky is blue and water is wet.

Well, he did score 10 last year so 10+ is hardly a bold prediction.

Pulock can obviously hammer it, but his ability to get it on net and seemingly pick spots is insane. His accuracy with that howitzer is the most impressive skill.

With the strides Pulock has made in his entire game (improved skating and defensive play), he's looking like a young Al MacInnis.

Reactions: doublechili

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Well, he did score 10 last year so 10+ is hardly a bold prediction.

Pulock can obviously hammer it, but his ability to get it on net and seemingly pick spots is insane. His accuracy with that howitzer is the most impressive skill.

With the strides Pulock has made in his entire game (improved skating and defensive play), he's looking like a young Al MacInnis.

This is a good comparable. Though MacInnis was a Norris winner once. I don't know if Pulock has this upside. And I love him since he his draft year. But he has the upside to be the Isles Best D man this year. Man I wish he was signed longer, but Ryan bet on himself, and like most D men, they get better under Trotz. Maybe a young Shea Weber we have here.

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
This is a good comparable. Though MacInnis was a Norris winner once. I don't know if Pulock has this upside. And I love him since he his draft year. But he has the upside to be the Isles Best D man this year. Man I wish he was signed longer, but Ryan bet on himself, and like most D men, they get better under Trotz. Maybe a young Shea Weber we have here.
i haven’t been able to see the games ... does he have A Aucoin upside ? LGI :yo:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
i haven’t been able to see the games ... does he have A Aucoin upside ? LGI :yo:
Aucoin was a pretty good D man. Never thought of him. I'm going to stick with the Shea Weber lite comparison. Being that Weber's best hockey was played under Trotz when he was in Nashville. Ryan is a big boy with a big shot. If his Ice Q is as good as I think it is. He is another player in the mid 1st rd picked the Isles that may be another home run pick!

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
One thing I like what Trotz is doing thus far is pushing the organization’s defenseman to play in a role above what they’ve ever been exposed to.

I think that’s what they refer to as development.

Now only if they can get Toews up and put Pulock on the top powerplay, I’d be happy.

Pelech-Pulock
Leddy-Boychuk
Toews-Hickey/Mayfield

Konk

Mar 11, 2008

It's the shot. MacInnis has been his comparison since he was 16/17 years old for that reason alone.

NHL prospect Pulock a solid kid with a hard shot

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Trotz sees the upside in Pulock, so he’s playing him like a top 4 D man to instill confidence. Think it’s a good move, just wish he had a more reliable partner.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I thought Pulock played a great game last night. Perfect reads and excellent positioning, he was just so rock solid all game. He was smart, physical, decisive, and generally in everything he did. In the evolution of his game, I hope this is the start of Trotz' tutelage taking hold on him. I know we all expect offense with that vaunted shot and all, but I am very pleased with how his complete overall is coming along. It's not going to happen overnight, but it seems to be coming along.

Aside from Barzal taking the next step in his game, Pulock doing the same is probably the most important development over the season.

Reactions: dood and WangMustGo

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
He leads the team in time on ice.
To me, he's been the best D this year...

Reactions: dood

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
He leads the team in time on ice.
To me, he's been the best D this year...

He’s starting to look elite in his own zone. Separates body from puck so well and does a really good job breaking up plays. Can become a true top pairing dman imo if he improves a few things:

1. Gap control on the rush. While great in his own zone I think he can hold his own blue line alittle better

2. Clearing the puck in the d zone

3. Needs to hit the net more with the cannon

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Trotz really threw him into the deep end this year. Leading the team in TOI and getting the toughest matchups. I still think he needs a good partner since none of the D on the roster really mesh well with his play style. The offensive instincts are there, just needs to utilize them more.

Reactions: PWJunior

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Very impressed with Pulock. Finally someone taught our D how to pin the opposing players against the boards. In years past they would skate right by without anyone touching them. Now if you try to cycle down low you're pinned by our defense. Trotz teaching the young D well.

Isle1966

Nov 18, 2003
I think the start of the season he was putting more emphasis on the Def part of his game and improving it. Last game I saw him the most engaged in the Offense than I saw all year, ending with the set up on CC winning goal. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

Reactions: dood

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Dude has 31 points so far this year and that is WITHOUT getting serious PP time. He's going to finish north of 40 points and he's just starting to scratch the surface. Pulock is turning into a beast. LOVE IT.

PLEASE GIVE HIM PP1 TIME FOR f***S SAKE!

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Dude has 31 points so far this year and that is WITHOUT getting serious PP time. He's going to finish north of 40 points and he's just starting to scratch the surface. Pulock is turning into a beast. LOVE IT.

PLEASE GIVE HIM PP1 TIME FOR ****S SAKE!

As he gets more comfortable in the NHL, I think you are also going to see Pulock's shot find the net more often as well. The game will slow down and his nerves will calm. He seemed to be more accurate with the Sound Tigers and I think that is just a matter of gaining more confidence and relaxing a bit. You have to be excited thinking about the potential of Dobson, Pulock, Wilde, Toews, Mayfield, Pelech, Aho, etc.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

PLEASE GIVE HIM PP1 TIME FOR ****S SAKE!

Totally agree, plus this dude was EPIC last night in the defensive and transition zone. That play yesterday where he played Tavares perfectly and then rode him into the boards was probably my favorite play from last night. I can't believe what a beast this guy is coming. There were also a ton of really heady plays to skate it out of his own zone.

I honestly think we could have the makings of a top pair on our hand. It isn't one yet, and it's not a sure thing. But maybe...

Reactions: Instant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad