Player Discussion: Ryan Pulock Discussion Part II

crasherino

May 9, 2013
He doesn't look like he's moving particularly fast but he's got some real slick moves with the puck in the offensive zone. But he's also caught a bit of Islanders disease....just shoot the damn puck! Doesn't have to be the perfect pass all the time.

Agreed though on the defensive play on Tavares. Just a text book way to take him out of the play. Wasn't a bone crushing hit, but it Pulock getting physical where he needed to. It seems like as he gets more comfortable and his confidence grows, he's taking the body more.

There's definitely room to grow with this kid even though he's not such a kid anymore. He's turning into a great player.

Reactions: ekill08x

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I followed him since before we drafted him
And wanted the isles to draft him bad. He was such a force a monster offensively. Never in my wildest dreams did I think he would bloosom into the rock that he is defensively. He’s become such an excellent defenseman. Trotz challenged him and has played him as our #1 defenseman all year and he’s answered the bell! He’s been our most consistent defenseman from game 1. Just awesome to see.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Besides Barzal, Pulock is our most valuable asset. This kid is the goods, offensively hes creative, making good pinches, and has a cannon of a shot. Defensively hes strong in the corners and in front of the net, always in good position, and he makes quick effective outlet passes. I see alot of Shea Weber in Pulock, another former Trotz protege.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Besides Barzal, Pulock is our most valuable asset. This kid is the goods, offensively hes creative, making good pinches, and has a cannon of a shot. Defensively hes strong in the corners and in front of the net, always in good position, and he makes quick effective outlet passes. I see alot of Shea Weber in Pulock, another former Trotz protege.

Pulock has emerged and there is more offensive upside in his game. The panic that existed in his game earlier in his career is gone now, he is just entering his prime.

I wonder if Lou tries to extend him this summer because he is clearly destroying his $2M contract. RHD's carry insane value and Pulock has the pedigree, ability, and high character that teams highly covet. I'd gladly commit to him to be a core d-man long term and maybe we can save a little by extending him a year early. Something to really consider.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Pulock has emerged and there is more offensive upside in his game. The panic that existed in his game earlier in his career is gone now, he is just entering his prime.

I wonder if Lou tries to extend him this summer because he is clearly destroying his $2M contract. RHD's carry insane value and Pulock has the pedigree, ability, and high character that teams highly covet. I'd gladly commit to him to be a core d-man long term and maybe we can save a little by extending him a year early. Something to really consider.

I hope so, hes been great for us, and offensively the flood gates are just beginning to open. With first unit pp minutes he will be at 45+ points annually. If im Lou I offer him 8 years 6 per, and hes easily worth that, and likely more in the future.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

I was really hoping they would have signed him last year to a long term deal. Brett Pesce got $4.5m or so long term. Brady Skeji got something similar. I think we could have locked him up for under $5m AAV last year. Now I'm not so sure what he'll get, but can't imagine his value has done anything but go up.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Trotz and lambert turned this kid into a legit top4 2way defenseman that plays in all situations.

This has been a huge year for him. He’s always been talented offensively but he’s become an absolute rock defensively.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I wasn't a member of this board last year but I did read it fairly often and I don't remember too many complimentary comments about Pulock, much less that people felt confident about extending and re-signing him.

What a difference a year makes - and a coach.

Reactions: TommytheCat

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I wasn't a member of this board last year but I did read it fairly often and I don't remember too many complimentary comments about Pulock, much less that people felt confident about extending and re-signing him.

What a difference a year makes - and a coach.
Gotta disagree.
After a slow start,Pulock got plenty of props.Mostly for his offensive contributions and upside.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Yeah, that one play deserves to be put in a textbook. Or at least in this thread.

As you watch this video, remember that Pulock* grew up wearing Islanders pajamas. Makes it even better.

*If Tavares forgets his name, he can call him "the kid who owned me and drove me into the boards".

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
As you watch this video, remember that Pulock* grew up wearing Islanders pajamas. Makes it even better.

*If Tavares forgets his name, he can call him "the kid who owned me and drove me into the boards".
:punk: That is like a punch to the gut. Judas got owned by the kid Pulock.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
So how good is Pulock going to get? He may hit 40 points this year with minimal PP time pkaying as our shutdown D?

I think hes going to turn alot of heads around the league next year, i see no reason why he cant put up 50 points while playing stellar D. Hes the best defenseman we have drafted since? Jonsson? Dare i say Potvin?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->