Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
he's up to 210 now, as long as it doesn't impact his speed but disappointed in some of his comments that make you wonder how smart he might be. That said hopefully he has a great bounce back year, and learns to keep his head up more.

Reactions: 70Stang

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
he's up to 210 now, as long as it doesn't impact his speed but disappointed in some of his comments that make you wonder how smart he might be. That said hopefully he has a great bounce back year, and learns to keep his head up more.

Doesn't seem like the sharpest bulb in the shed, but luckily he's just expected to play hockey.

Get sent down to Laval, play poorly, be mediocre in your call ups, take a Florida vacation, and then expect to get called in for the playoffs? If that's his approach to NHL hockey, he'll be lucky to be a fourth liner.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Doesn't seem like the sharpest bulb in the shed, but luckily he's just expected to play hockey.

Get sent down to Laval, play poorly, be mediocre in your call ups, take a Florida vacation, and then expect to get called in for the playoffs? If that's his approach to NHL hockey, he'll be lucky to be a fourth liner.

the florida thing... with the year that he had + his age... doesn't bode well.

Athletes can occasionally turn it around, but if you don't have a pro mindset before you've even made it to the pros??? to be that close and not be willing to leave no stone unturned to "get there"... to be focused on finding "good weather" in response to the pandemic??? weak. If he does anything but stand out to start the year in Laval, i hope MB looks to sell him before his value erodes any further. Plaers with his skill set are a dime a dozen, without a killer mindset, little chance he amounts to much more than a depth plug

Reactions: Pickles and Draft

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

Kid had a dominant WJC, started his NHL carreer with a hat trick, how not being over confident after that?? He obviously thought playing in the NHL would be more easy than expected, took the off season less seriously, then comes to the camp, does well but got injured... Then they send him to Laval when his budies Suzuki and KK both make the team, obvously he was really bad about it, kid had very high expectations about his carreer, he was foreseeing himself as the next #1 center in Montreal, so its not anormal to be depressed a bit about the situation...

Poeple dont seem to realize that Poehling was playing 36 games a season with St-Cloud, the NHL and AHL have 82 games, the jump to the pro is extremmely demanding, especially physically for youg players...

He had a bad year no doubt, but Im more than confident he will amount to a very very solid NHL...

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I still think Poehling is a late bloomer and would be a perfect option for 3rd line center to insulate against Danault not staying but more likely, a power forward LWer.

Either way, he needs to find his game in Laval. The tricky part is what position do you play him to allow him to develop. Center like he’s always been, or shift to the wing to play a position he’s never really played.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I still think Poehling is a late bloomer and would be a perfect option for 3rd line center to insulate against Danault not staying but more likely, a power forward LWer.

Either way, he needs to find his game in Laval. The tricky part is what position do you play him to allow him to develop. Center like he’s always been, or shift to the wing to play a position he’s never really played.
Play him at the center, moving a center to the wing is a lot easier than the contrary.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Explosiveness is really what was bringing him down this year. He clearly was behind the play at most times. If he can overcome that, then that's a huge huge plus for him. Same as KK.

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
Article is in french, but Poehling said he's thinking about switching to winger. He said he'd like to be a powerforward, playing with the likes of KK and Suzuki. Here's the quote : « Ça serait incroyable [de jouer sur un trio avec Suzuki ou Kotkaniemi], a-t-il admis. Tous deux sont d’extraordinaires joueurs et de chics types. Je ne peux pas prédire l’avenir, mais si on me demande de jouer à l’aile, je le ferai. Jouer à cette position ne me fera pas mal. »

He said he's up to 210 now and should be way better along the boards. He also added that he has worked on his explosion.

Here's the link. Article by Mathias Brunet on Lapresse. Ryan Poehling redeviendra-t-il l’espoir attendu ?

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Article is in french, but Poehling said he's thinking about switching to winger. He said he'd like to be a powerforward, playing with the likes of KK and Suzuki. Here's the quote : « Ça serait incroyable [de jouer sur un trio avec Suzuki ou Kotkaniemi], a-t-il admis. Tous deux sont d’extraordinaires joueurs et de chics types. Je ne peux pas prédire l’avenir, mais si on me demande de jouer à l’aile, je le ferai. Jouer à cette position ne me fera pas mal. »

He said he's up to 210 now and should be way better along the boards. He also added that he has worked on his explosion.

Here's the link. Article by Mathias Brunet on Lapresse. Ryan Poehling redeviendra-t-il l’espoir attendu ?

We need this Ryan, get 'er done. We're a little short on cost controlled LW's who can play up and down the lineup.

Hopefully his conditioning is on the up and up. In the unlikely case that Poehling could play LW in the bottom 6 on a regular basis next year (21-22), letting Tatar walk as a UFA would 'hurt less' in terms of roster depth. It would be an unexpected plus IMO. It would also give Bergevin flexibility / breathing room, whatever is needed most to manage the cap. Unfortunately for Ryan I don't think he would start out regular NHL time with Suzuki or KK, but rather Phil Danault. Meat. Potatoes. With more meat & potatoes. Then throw Anderson on their right at odd times to annoy the crap out of the opposing coach. Meat & potato overload.

Poehling needs to have a monster year for that to happen. Good luck Ryan.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
We need this Ryan, get 'er done. We're a little short on cost controlled LW's who can play up and down the lineup.

Hopefully his conditioning is on the up and up. In the unlikely case that Poehling could play LW in the bottom 6 on a regular basis next year (21-22), letting Tatar walk as a UFA would 'hurt less' in terms of roster depth. It would be an unexpected plus IMO. It would also give Bergevin flexibility / breathing room, whatever is needed most to manage the cap. Unfortunately for Ryan I don't think he would start out regular NHL time with Suzuki or KK, but rather Phil Danault. Meat. Potatoes. With more meat & potatoes. Then throw Anderson on their right at odd times to annoy the crap out of the opposing coach. Meat & potato overload.

Poehling needs to have a monster year for that to happen. Good luck Ryan.

Poehling would be better off playing the bulk of the year in Laval where he would get better TOI and more minutes, period. He can get recalled later on if his production warrants it. If he gels in a top-9 role on LW to end the season, moving on from Tatar will be an easier thing to envisage.

Not playing with his mind following recalls and being sent back down or, skipping games in the stands or, riding the pine in the NHL after bad shifts will be important for a steady progression and quality development, IMO.

The question then remains whether he should play C or LW in Laval. IMO, if he gets better line mates by playing C, he should play C. The quality of play should trump the position if feeding his confidence is part of the plan. If it's just to allow him to get his bearings because management has already set an artificial ceiling as a bottom 6 winger for Poehling, they will play him at LW.

Reactions: TesseractPrice

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
What's with these kids taking the summer off and thinking it'll all be good come training camp? It's a trend with so many of them taking their opportunity for granted and thinking they can coast when they first break into the league. If he doesn't kill it in the off season and going into camp, I'm afraid this might be his break year and the next Habs prospect to flame out. He seems to have gotten the message, but ffs, get it going kid. No one can want it for you.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Poehling would be better off playing the bulk of the year in Laval where he would get better TOI and more minutes, period. He can get recalled later on if his production warrants it. If he gels in a top-9 role on LW to end the season, moving on from Tatar will be an easier thing to envisage.

Not playing with his mind following recalls and being sent back down or, skipping games in the stands or, riding the pine in the NHL after bad shifts will be important for a steady progression and quality development, IMO.

The question then remains whether he should play C or LW in Laval. IMO, if he gets better line mates by playing C, he should play C. The quality of play should trump the position if feeding his confidence is part of the plan. If it's just to allow him to get his bearings because management has already set an artificial ceiling as a bottom 6 winger for Poehling, they will play him at LW.

Yeah I agree. That's why I mentioned "play LW in the bottom 6 on a regular basis next year (21-22)". As in, 20-21 is spent in the AHL. If only to make him competent at taking faceoffs, they should alternate him between C/LW for future NHL versatility.

And he needs to lay off Fortnite with Jake and Cale. Only he would post about 3-man shit, not Jake nor Cale.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
What's with these kids taking the summer off and thinking it'll all be good come training camp? It's a trend with so many of them taking their opportunity for granted and thinking they can coast when they first break into the league. If he doesn't kill it in the off season and going into camp, I'm afraid this might be his break year and the next Habs prospect to flame out. He seems to have gotten the message, but ffs, get it going kid. No one can want it for you.
The good thing is we know he's working out and preparing hard for this upcoming season. Ramage seemed quite impressed by his offseason

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
The good thing is we know he's working out and preparing hard for this upcoming season. Ramage seemed quite impressed by his offseason
it's great to hear. Especially that he has so much potential to be a great player but his attitude has been shit. Nice to hear he seems to finally get it, now he has to prove it.

Reactions: Deebs

70Stang

Feb 21, 2008
He will start in Laval and play a ton. He's figuring the pro game out and he is going to be a big part of the future. Just like Patch he needs to gain his confidence in Laval. He knows his weaknesses and is motivated to prove his doubters wrong and that is very promising. Kid can play no doubt about that just needs to put in the work. This talk of him being a bust in nonsense, he's young and I'm confident he will put it all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad