Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Was having an excellent camp till concussion totally derailed his season. He’ll be fine at C, let him develop at his own rate
This. He was a man among boy at the prospect camp and looked good during the preseason. Could be just looking good against guys half trying... but concussions can ruin seasons. It took Patrice Bergeron a long time to come back from one, and even when he was playing again it took longer for his offense to return.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
This. He was a man among boy at the prospect camp and looked good during the preseason. Could be just looking good against guys half trying... but concussions can ruin seasons. It took Patrice Bergeron a long time to come back from one, and even when he was playing again it took longer for his offense to return.

I'm hoping this is more of the case. I think some are writing him off a little too quickly. I don't think there's a star there but I think he could definitely be a very useful player for us. He's a very good passer and looked really good making plays at high speeds in his last NCAA year. There's a lot to like.

Reactions: Paddyjack

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I'm hoping this is more of the case. I think some are writing him off a little too quickly. I don't think there's a star there but I think he could definitely be a very useful player for us. He's a very good passer and looked really good making plays at high speeds in his last NCAA year. There's a lot to like.

It was my assessment too. He looked way different when he came back from this concussion. Considering that there was possibly a spot for him in the line up at that time, and that he was doing well, I wouldn't be surprised if the kid came back too fast and got affected more than he should have been. Sad if it's the case.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
There were reports he showed up to Covid camp out of shape, wonder if that along with his poor AHL display has put him on the back burner

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Dumont:InstagramLive@canadiensmtl(20/08/10)-Poehling
Does Poehling have a shot of cracking the lineup: “Right now, I'd say no... And that's absolutely fine... Keep in mind, this guy is very young. We tend to overlook the fact that his last 18 months have been crazy. So NCAA career , NHL debut, development camp, rookie camp, training camp, injury, Laval and Montreal (multiple times)... He has a lot. It's okay for him to take a break. I think he'd be a good player. He isn't quite ready to play in the NHL just yet...”

Reactions: Redux91

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not so sure Poehling is happy with "trusting the process" by developing in the AHL. I like this kids size/skating package and we need this type but if a team is high on him and offers us a trade to address a team need, I might pull the trigger. Basically, I don't see him being a 60+ forward in his prime. More like a Eller type and his production depends on who he plays with and where in the line-up. But his biggest value is that size/skating package and his offensive/defensive skills are decent. Teams do value that a lot

Hope he is able to set aside any frustrations and work through it. Overcoming that will go a long way in any organization trusting his ability and potential. Hope he gets at least a game against the Flyers but Julien is clearly going with trusted options that are willing to listen to the game plan and assignments. I think Poehling can do that and I also think his energy and motivation playing in a playoff game would bring the best of out of him.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Not so sure Poehling is happy with "trusting the process" by developing in the AHL. I like this kids size/skating package and we need this type but if a team is high on him and offers us a trade to address a team need, I might pull the trigger. Basically, I don't see him being a 60+ forward in his prime. More like a Eller type and his production depends on who he plays with and where in the line-up. But his biggest value is that size/skating package and his offensive/defensive skills are decent. Teams do value that a lot

Hope he is able to set aside any frustrations and work through it. Overcoming that will go a long way in any organization trusting his ability and potential. Hope he gets at least a game against the Flyers but Julien is clearly going with trusted options that are willing to listen to the game plan and assignments. I think Poehling can do that and I also think his energy and motivation playing in a playoff game would bring the best of out of him.

Funny thing is @Noob616 and I have been saying this for a while now.. that his upside is an Eller center and those are still valuable. A defensively responsible center, with size, skating and enough offense to play 2nd line C in a pinch.

But we got people ready to crucify us and voting him our number #1 prospect over Caufield, Romanov, Norlinder, and Suzuki.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Funny thing is @Noob616 and I have been saying this for a while now.. that his upside is an Eller center and those are still valuable. A defensively responsible center, with size, skating and enough offense to play 2nd line C in a pinch.

But we got people ready to crucify us and voting him our number #1 prospect over Caufield, Romanov, Norlinder, and Suzuki.

Eller is a good base when talking about Poehling. Maybe you and @Noob616 said it in advance before he turned pro but today... we have a better idea. There is a slight chance he has a bit more offensive ability than Eller but that depends on if he can take a step forward.

Big year for Poehling, Brook, Fleury, Juulsen, Mete next year. Can any one of them take a substantial step forward? :dunno:.

With Poehling, I had him as a fringe A or B+ before turning pro and after his 1st pro year, I have him as a B now. It's up to him to regain his value and to listen to what the development coaches are asking him to do. Finding that pro maturity sometimes takes time

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Poehling is a good one for the Habs. He did not have a good first year in the pros. But he's got a lot of tools that would be helpful for the Habs going forward.

He was putting in more consistent performances at the end of the season (before it was stopped). He wasn't putting up points. But like Brook, both of their games were more consistent and were playing more complete games.

Also, before the Habs called him up the second time, he was on a production streak in Laval. He had 6 pts in 5 GP and 7 pts in 9 GP before Habs called him up. It sucks that he couldn't stay down to keep that up.

But the call up was a lot more circumstantial than it was rushing him up as soon as he started producing. Because Drouin, Kotkaniemi, and Byron were out for Montreal. They had called up Hudon and Peca. Peca ended up getting hurt, as well. Belzile was injured in Laval. So at that point, they turned to Poehling.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Eller is a good base when talking about Poehling. Maybe you and @Noob616 said it in advance before he turned pro but today... we have a better idea. There is a slight chance he has a bit more offensive ability than Eller but that depends on if he can take a step forward.

Big year for Poehling, Brook, Fleury, Juulsen, Mete next year. Can any one of them take a substantial step forward? :dunno:.

With Poehling, I had him as a fringe A or B+ before turning pro and after his 1st pro year, I have him as a B now. It's up to him to regain his value and to listen to what the development coaches are asking him to do. Finding that pro maturity sometimes takes time

I mean, I said it when we drafted him (although drunken and not eloquently).. that he had 3rd line upside and while there were moments where he teased you with a little more.. you gotta go with the bulk that you see from a guy, and that is that he is really a 3rd line center who can fill in if there's an injury to your 2C.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I mean, I said it when we drafted him (although drunken and not eloquently).. that he had 3rd line upside and while there were moments where he teased you with a little more.. you gotta go with the bulk that you see from a guy, and that is that he is really a 3rd line center who can fill in if there's an injury to your 2C.

When I look back now... what I see is a solid 1st round late value that produced in his age 18 and 19 years. He didn't have a great age 18 WJC but was not horrible. His age 19 WJC was MVP and he had one huge game and other games were solid. Did he stand out like Romanov? Not really to me.

Poehling is decent. How much better can he get? Not sure but the Eller comparison is legit

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

When I look back now... what I see is a solid 1st round late value that produced in his age 18 and 19 years. He didn't have a great age 18 WJC but was not horrible. His age 19 WJC was MVP and he had one huge game and other games were solid. Did he stand out like Romanov? Not really to me.

Poehling is decent. How much better can he get? Not sure but the Eller comparison is legit

Poehling as an Eller-type is a good comparison. And that would be such a good outcome for Poehling.

If the Habs' center line can become Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, and Evans, I think that would be a great outcome. I am curious to see how Olofsson does this year in Sweden and see if Habs sign him at the end of the year. Because he can be that 4C down the road, as well.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Poehling as an Eller-type is a good comparison. And that would be such a good outcome for Poehling.

If the Habs' center line can become Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, and Evans, I think that would be a great outcome. I am curious to see how Olofsson does this year in Sweden and see if Habs sign him at the end of the year. Because he can be that 4C down the road, as well.

If if Poehling ends up on wing as a power forward, I'm OK with that too. Maybe he takes faceoffs and helps at center when required. I have Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, and Danault as our top 3C's. If Danault is willing to take a deal between Eller and Nelson, he's a big part of our future plans. If he thinks he should cash in for $6M+, I consider trading him cause his offensive stats are bumped up due to playing with our best wingers for a while now. I think Danault is humble enough to realize that (I hope).

Another comparison to Poehling might be Robert Thomas

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If if Poehling ends up on wing as a power forward, I'm OK with that too. Maybe he takes faceoffs and helps at center when required. I have Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, and Danault as our top 3C's. If Danault is willing to take a deal between Eller and Nelson, he's a big part of our future plans. If he thinks he should cash in for $6M+, I consider trading him cause his offensive stats are bumped up due to playing with our best wingers for a while now. I think Danault is humble enough to realize that (I hope).

Another comparison to Poehling might be Robert Thomas

I'm good with all of that.

Although I think Robert Thomas has more offensive upside than Poehling. But you never know.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm good with all of that.

Although I think Robert Thomas has more offensive upside than Poehling. But you never know.

It appears today that Thomas has more offensive upside yes. But we will only know that when both players are around 22/23 ish. That same conversation is with Kotkaniemi vs Tkachuk IMO. Thomas plays on a better team and has one extra pro year. If Poehling has a meh season again next year, then I agree. Poehling knows what it takes to be a pro now so it's on him to be hungry and prove that he is the player he wants to be. Development is different with all players but usually, you see what they are around 22-24 ish.

Jul 6, 2016
It appears today that Thomas has more offensive upside yes. But we will only know that when both players are around 22/23 ish. That same conversation is with Kotkaniemi vs Tkachuk IMO. Thomas plays on a better team and has one extra pro year. If Poehling has a meh season again next year, then I agree. Poehling knows what it takes to be a pro now so it's on him to be hungry and prove that he is the player he wants to be. Development is different with all players but usually, you see what they are around 22-24 ish.

Poehling has lots of flaws in his game. It will be hard for him to be a third line player at NHL level. Could end up being just a 4th liner. His mental approach to the pro game is not there yet. One more full season in Laval is required.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
A big body that skates well does not guarantee NHL success. Jacob De La Rose is a big boy that can skate and i am not sure Poehling's upside is any better than JDL's.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

I was torched for saying theirs no way he gets to Danaults level. Never saw the upside here. He's gonna be a serviceable bottom 6 player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad