Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't put off by his pouting this year. I have no patience for unproven prospects who pout.

Ok but ... that is your opinion that he was "pouting" .. the reality is you dont really know. There are a number of different variables as to why NHL rookies dont score 50 goals in a season..

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
There was no next game possible for Poehling as the season ended. He lost his spot at the camp.

He didnt lose his spot because he was bad. He lost it because Suzuki was great and they couldnt send down Thompson or Cousins.

He easily earned the right to start in the nhl, but because of the roster spot limit they couldnt keep him.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Ok but ... that is your opinion that he was "pouting" .. the reality is you dont really know. There are a number of different variables as to why NHL rookies dont score 50 goals in a season..
I actually do know because he voiced his displeasure(numerous times) about being sent down after camp and played like absolute ass. I'm not expecting a 50 goal season from Poehling, I see 3rd line upside, but I don't think I'm asking for much when I don't want him to play like complete dog shit all year.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
What is anyone talking about?

How did he earn anything? He looked like garbage after his concussion, went to the AHL and was garbage there.. got called up for no reason when there, then played like garbage in the NHL, finally got sent back down and was bad for a bit until Bouchard straightened him out and he started to look mediocre in the AHL before the season was on pause.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I actually do know because he voiced his displeasure(numerous times) about being sent down after camp and played like absolute ass. I'm not expecting a 50 goal season from Poehling, I see 3rd line upside, but I don't think I'm asking for much when I don't want him to play like complete dog shit all year.

Understandable but relax lol.
Its his pro rookie season.. 25 in the NHL 25 in the AHL, the team sucked, the coach doesnt know what to do with young players, so people like nick freaking cousins are signed to take up precious development spots.

Ryan wasnt playing great no, but the team sure doesnt do him any favors sticking him 4th line LW. Coincidentally these are practically all normal rookie processes that all depend on each organizations management and roster configurations.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Poehling in my book is a Danault 2.0. Don't expect him to tear it up but coaches will LOVE what he can bring for his team. A+ 3rd liner that can fill up on the 2nd and play a full 200' game.

I also agree that he might be in his prime just like Danault near the 25 Year old mark.
The guy WILL make the NHL, we just don't know if he will be a 4th liner or a c- 2nd liner.
I see fire in Peohlings eyes, a chip on his shoulder and a toolbox that can really do it all. I think if he hits his floor he will be a 20-30 guy. Potentially more in some of his season.
I don’t know if he hits his potential but he is still kind of a man child, even at 21. His maturation isn’t there yet but I have faith.

Reactions: domiwroze

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013

How did he earn anything? He looked like garbage after his concussion, went to the AHL and was garbage there.. got called up for no reason when there, then played like garbage in the NHL, finally got sent back down and was bad for a bit until Bouchard straightened him out and he started to look mediocre in the AHL before the season was on pause.
Concussions suck, but that has nothing to do with the NHL talent poehling possesses

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Its his pro rookie season.. 25 in the NHL 25 in the AHL, the team sucked, the coach doesnt know what to do with young players, so people like nick freaking cousins are signed to take up precious development spots.

Ryan wasnt playing great no, but the team sure doesnt do him any favors sticking him 4th line LW. Coincidentally these are practically all normal rookie processes that all depend on each organizations management and roster configurations.
Yeah I can’t stand Julien.

poehling deserves a few games on 3rd C duties. That’s how you build a player.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

I just hope it's a maturity thing with him. At the very least when Drouin pouted, he was torching the QMJHL. Either way, I have a feeling we will regret not taking the next forward drafted, Morgan Frost.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Concussions suck, but that has nothing to do with the NHL talent poehling possesses

If he has NHL talent then he needs to display it at the AHL level. He didn't.

He pouted and complained and got an unwarranted call-up and sucked in the NHL. There is no reason for Poehling to get 3rd line duties when he wasn't ready to produce in a 3C role in the AHL.

upload_2020-7-11_17-14-14.png

What about a sub .5 PPG, minus hockey player in the AHL screams deserving of NHL time and a premium NHL spot?

Guy should have never seen the NHL this year until he showed he was too good for the AHL. He showed he was struggling to find production in the AHL only.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Lol..lost his spot? or Bergevin inexplicably signs Nick Cousins...?

He didnt lose his spot because he was bad. He lost it because Suzuki was great and they couldnt send down Thompson or Cousins.

He easily earned the right to start in the nhl, but because of the roster spot limit they couldnt keep him.

He lost to Suzuki. That's on him. Thompson and Cousins were buryable. They were both better than Poehling so they stayed.

He lost his spot because he was not better than our top 14 forwards. In fact, Belzile, Vejdemo and Evans would probably have stole his spot too.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He lost to Suzuki. That's on him. Thompson and Cousins were buryable. They were both better than Poehling so they stayed.

He lost his spot because he was not better than our top 14 forwards. In fact, Belzile, Vejdemo and Evans would probably have stole his spot too.

They made the correct decision to not put him in the starting roster, he clearly wasn't NHL ready.. unfortunately, they made a terrible decision calling him up and having him play meaningless 4th line LW minutes in the NHL when he should have been getting his confidence at the AHL level.

The real outrage is why he was ever called up from the AHL in the first place.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
They made the correct decision to not put him in the starting roster, he clearly wasn't NHL ready.. unfortunately, they made a terrible decision calling him up and having him play meaningless 4th line LW minutes in the NHL when he should have been getting his confidence at the AHL level.

Especially when he just got benched by Bouchard in the AHL.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I just hope it's a maturity thing with him. At the very least when Drouin pouted, he was torching the QMJHL. Either way, I have a feeling we will regret not taking the next forward drafted, Morgan Frost.
The only issue I remember with Pails is when he said he was disappointed to go down to Laval. Were there other situations that came up over last year?

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
If he has NHL talent then he needs to display it at the AHL level. He didn't.

He pouted and complained and got an unwarranted call-up and sucked in the NHL. There is no reason for Poehling to get 3rd line duties when he wasn't ready to produce in a 3C role in the AHL.

View attachment 353371

What about a sub .5 PPG, minus hockey player in the AHL screams deserving of NHL time and a premium NHL spot?

Guy should have never seen the NHL this year until he showed he was too good for the AHL. He showed he was struggling to find production in the AHL only.
I said he needed to be given a shot at 3c for a few games...

also who knows how his concussion affected him mentally. Concussions can F YOU UP.
Maybe the concussion messed with his head a little and that’s what made his first pro season wonky..

it sounds like you dislike him and do not believe in his upside..

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013

If I’m coach, I’m testing his abilities at least on the 4th line C for a few games MINIMUM.

unfortunately clode was trying to make the playoffs with an absolute brutal bottom 9 and an incocnsistent and small top 6.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I said he needed to be given a shot at 3c for a few games...

also who knows how his concussion affected him mentally. Concussions can F YOU UP.
Maybe the concussion messed with his head a little and that’s what made his first pro season wonky..

it sounds like you dislike him and do not believe in his upside..

As a hockey player, I've always believed his upside is a 3C.

He didn't need to be given a shot at 3C for a few games. He didn't earn it. He couldn't do it reliably at the AHL level, how can he be expected to do it reliably at the NHL level?

And if the concussions did mess him up, all the more reason to keep him out of games and then down in the AHL until he is fully healthy.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
I don't like him as a person but as a hockey player, I've always believed his upside is a 3C.

He didn't need to be given a shot at 3C for a few games. He didn't earn it. He couldn't do it reliably at the AHL level, how can he be expected to do it reliably at the NHL level?

And if the concussions did mess him up, all the more reason to keep him out of games and then down in the AHL until he is fully healthy.
I agree with some of your points but your acting like I believe he deserved the spot. I’m a firm believer in sometimes you don’t show your potential unless you play in the right spot with the right teammates, of course this is completely subject to situational circumstances, and I don’t believe Ryan is a line driver, I think he can be an excellent team playmaker who will excel with the right teammates.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
If I’m coach, I’m testing his abilities at least on the 4th line C for a few games MINIMUM.

unfortunately clode was trying to make the playoffs with an absolute brutal bottom 9 and an incocnsistent and small top 6.

But we already had 9 better C (Danault, Suzuki, Domi, KK, Thompson, Cousins, Weal, Evans, Vejdemo).

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I agree with some of your points but your acting like I believe he deserved the spot. I’m a firm believer in sometimes you don’t show your potential unless you play in the right spot with the right teammates, of course this is completely subject to situational circumstances, and I don’t believe Ryan is a line driver, I think he can be an excellent team playmaker who will excel with the right teammates.

I'm a firm believer that you don't put young players into the NHL when they are showing at the level below that they aren't able to be productive there.

Nothing about his AHL showed that he was a NHL player, so bringing him to the NHL was a terrible decision. What role he was used there is irrelevant since he isn't good enough to be a productive AHL player at this point in his career.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
I don't care about the draft pedigree of Poehling. He's slow, not physical and his shot isn't anything to write home about. Unless he comes back to camp with better skills or speed, he's a 4th liner. At least Weal and Cousins had solid offensive IQ.

Reactions: angusyoung

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
I don't care about the draft pedigree of Poehling. He's slow, not physical and his shot isn't anything to write home about. Unless he comes back to camp with better skills or speed, he's a 4th liner. At least Weal and Cousins had solid offensive IQ.
I just don’t see Ryan as a east west player, he love north south, he actually likes the boards and before his concussion and demotion he really showed some speed and skill for being a college rookie.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Poehling in my book is a Danault 2.0. Don't expect him to tear it up but coaches will LOVE what he can bring for his team. A+ 3rd liner that can fill up on the 2nd and play a full 200' game.

I also agree that he might be in his prime just like Danault near the 25 Year old mark.
The guy WILL make the NHL, we just don't know if he will be a 4th liner or a c- 2nd liner.

I could see him being somewhere between current Danault and what Chipchura was in the NHL. So at worst a decent 4th liner but if he can get his shit together maybe he could surprise and turn into something ala Danault who also struggled in his first pro season in the AHL at 20. Funny enough both players had a .36 ppg in the AHL although Poehling had 2 NHL call ups to deal with.

But you can see why some would be highly concerned after all he just had the worst 20 year old season of any of Timmins 1st round picks that were at the pro level. When McCarron scores more goals then Poehling had points, that is going to cause posters to worry for sure but then add how poorly we have done with development and drafting under MB it would be even more concerning to most.

That doesn't mean he can't turn it around, just that there's nothing wrong with being upset or highly concerned about him. I have said all along I think he will easily be an NHLer, just that this season went horribly wrong and he didn't look like he was playing his game at all, which is something i've seen from other prospects in the AHL and it's not a good sign. But with prospects it's all about how much the progress so we'll see what happens here.

Remember when he was voted our #1 prospect over Suzuki and Caufield for ostensibly being "as NHL ready as possible"? Good times.

I suggested he was being overrated at the time due to that one NHL game and his great game vs Sweden in the WJC's but hopefully he can get back on track. He needs to play his game which uses his speed, skating and playmaking abilities. He looked lost for much of his time in Laval and that was highly troubling, not sure what the cause was but he needs to get back on track in a hurry.

I don't care about the draft pedigree of Poehling. He's slow

I think you are the first person I saw call him slow

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad