Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
He lost to Suzuki. That's on him. Thompson and Cousins were buryable. They were both better than Poehling so they stayed.

He lost his spot because he was not better than our top 14 forwards. In fact, Belzile, Vejdemo and Evans would probably have stole his spot too.

They didn't sign Thompson and Cousins in the offseason to have them waived, and be picked up by another team. Losing depth before the season even starts makes no sense.

Second, if those 3 prospects would have earned a spot on the roster over Poehling, then explain to me why Poehling got recalled way before any of them?

Third, all of this doesn't really matter. He had a historic debut, mentally prepared himself for 5 months to start in the nhl, had a decent camp, and then gets told he will start in the ahl. The vast majority of fans and media also had him locked to start in the NHL. You'd have to be a psychopath if you were in that position, and didn't feel pissed about it.

Reactions: cphabs

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
They didn't sign Thompson and Cousins in the offseason to have them waived, and be picked up by another team. Losing depth before the season even starts makes no sense.

It happens in the NHL. They were way way ahead of Poehling anyway so it's a moot point.

Second, if those 3 prospects would have earned a spot on the roster over Poehling, then explain to me why Poehling got recalled way before any of them?

Not in MB's brain, but maybe they wanted to give a chance to the guy who had 3+1 goals in his first game. All I can say is that it was weirdly timed as he was just benched in the AHL because he played like shit.

Third, all of this doesn't really matter. He had a historic debut, mentally prepared himself for 5 months to start in the nhl, had a decent camp, and then gets told he will start in the ahl. The vast majority of fans and media also had him locked to start in the NHL. You'd have to be a psychopath if you were in that position, and didn't feel pissed about it.

His camp was far from decent enough to warrant a spot on the NHL roster. If he felt pissed, it should be at himself.

The guy came thinking a spot was in the bag, lost it to Suzuki and was sent down. Sulked in the AHL to the point where he was scratched by Bouchard. Then he was called up and did nothing in the limited minutes he got. In 27 NHL games, he got 1 less point than he did in 11:22 last year. Whatever the usage that is shit.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Poehling-PressConference(20/07/20)

“Obviously going up and down no one can really expect this, especially me. So I just gotta take it for what it's and learn from my past and just move on/moving forward. It's kinda what'll make me not only a better player but also a better person. I think that's what I've done the last hundred days.”

“Honestly these last 100 days I didn't really prepare, it was just more the correction of what happened and what I can do differently. I've been working since July for this year. So I think for me I just kinda took some time off and getting my head straight.”

“The biggest thing is staying true to myself. There's so much high expectations on me and I expected the same thing. Don't do anything special, just to be who I'm. There's a reason I'm who I'm and. It's because of that they trusted me, like I've done what I can do. I've to do that and be the player/person that I'm so I think that's what I've to stick to.”

“I'd say Bouchard told me to play fast and to not think as much, just to play my game. That's helped me a lot. Some of the better games I played was when I was moving quick and kinda finding open lanes and being the first guy there to not really thing too much and having hesitation. I got more consistent at the end of the year and I was playing a lot of better hockey.”

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Was having an excellent camp till concussion totally derailed his season. He’ll be fine at C, let him develop at his own rate

Jul 6, 2016
Was having an excellent camp till concussion totally derailed his season. He’ll be fine at C, let him develop at his own rate

One or two more full AHL seasons will help. as for having "excellent camp", many youngsters have great camps... when playing vs lesser opponents.

Reactions: angusyoung

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
One or two more full AHL seasons will help. as for having "excellent camp", many youngsters have great camps... when playing vs lesser opponents.

To be fair, better than having a horrible camp against lesser opponents. At some point, you have to gauge what you see and great camp is a positive. No need to lessen it unnecessarily.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Break up the Danault line for a bit to experiment. We don't have huge issues 5/5 but I do believe Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Domi, Drouin need help and also to enjoy things a bit more. We are not contenders so positive energy is what we should be focusing on. Not "anything can happen". Take the pressure off these kids and let them all get a piece of playing with good talent.

Domi / Suzuki / Tatar: Put the Chiarot/Weber pairing with them as much as possible cause not sure how good they are in their own end. I think this line would be dynamic offensively. Not much size but all 3 have tons of skill. Domi has the best skill/skating/grit package and Suzuki and Tatar with high hockey IQ and skill.

Drouin / Kotkaniemi / Gallagher: Kotkaniemi can use Drouin's skill and skating and Gallagher's grit and leadership. This would be a good situation for KK IMO.

Byron / Danault / Armia: Solid 200' line. Danault is great all around, Byron can burn you with his speed, Armia with size and shooting power.

Poehling / Evans / Lehkonen: Give Poehling and Evans a shot. I'm sure they bust their ass off and gain valuable experience. Lehkonen would be a good winger on that line and Julien trust him.

Poehling doesn't deserve a shot this year. He should not even be in Toronto.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is the right move (other than Poehling, not sure about giving him a shot just yet). Talent needs talent to thrive, Suzuki should be playing with our best wingers as he is very clearly our most talented C. Not sure what our coaching staff is afraid of, we're likely done in 3 games regardless!

I see too many players struggling after the Tatar/Danault/Gallagher line. The tinkering from lines 2-4 is not working clearly. So shuffle the entire deck and give some talent to the age 25 and under guys. All 2nd tier offensive players like we have need to play with talent cause they can't drive their line on their own.

As far as Poehling... I think he has been humbled enough. No need to block him and one game to see what he can do won't hurt. You going to block him and play Weal or Weise instead? or Hudon?

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I see too many players struggling after the Tatar/Danault/Gallagher line. The tinkering from lines 2-4 is not working clearly. So shuffle the entire deck and give some talent to the age 25 and under guys. All 2nd tier offensive players like we have need to play with talent cause they can't drive their line on their own.

As far as Poehling... I think he has been humbled enough. No need to block him and one game to see what he can do won't hurt. You going to block him and play Weal or Weise instead? or Hudon?

They all did better than Poehling and deserve it way more. Belzile too if he can come back healthy.

Reactions: Beer and Chips

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They all did better than Poehling and deserve it way more. Belzile too if he can come back healthy.

My strategy is evaluating the future potential. If Poehling don't get a game, you miss out of giving him some experience. Belzile, Weal, Weise, Hudon are not part of our future Habs plans. Poehling is

Throw the "deserve" narrative out the window. This play in round should be a experience test and evaluation on the younger core

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
My strategy is evaluating the future potential. If Poehling don't get a game, you miss out of giving him some experience. Belzile, Weal, Weise, Hudon are not part of our future Habs plans. Poehling is

Throw the "deserve" narrative out the window. This play in round should be a experience test and evaluation on the younger core

The play-in are not pre-season. I want them to try to win, even if I don't expect them to actually win. Playing Poehling just mean you treating the play-in as pre-season.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018

You're just looking for a 4 goal game from Poehling to win the series, let's be honest here :laugh:

Reactions: Redux91

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You're just looking for a 4 goal game from Poehling to win the series, let's be honest here :laugh:

Nah... I like his size and skating package. And I do think this was a humbling season for him and I wouldn't be hard on him at this stage. I think he learned a lot this year and I see no problem with him playing 4th line LW for a game to give him experience.... he can learn some more and this is good development

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Don't give him a game if he hasn't earned it.. we all know what Poehling does when he thinks he's earned something he hasn't.

They need to keep him down in the AHL until they can't any longer - i.e. he is a piece in a trade for a core piece, his AHL play is too good to stay down, or his waiver eligibility is up.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
He did. Before the season started I was pretty certain he was seen as the preferable option for a #4C spot both by the management and the coaching staff. I believe Nate Thompson also felt that way, because he was FLYING out there in the preseason, playing with almost playoff-like intensity.
What happened after the concussion was most disappointing for me. Poehling suddenly started playing a stupid, individualistic style of play in order to impress the management. It was basically the polar opposite of what makes him effective as a player. The lack of experience, maturity and/or lack of proper communication was painfully obvious. Then, as he was starting to hit his stride in Laval he was immediately called up only to have him grind away in the corners as a #4LW on a struggling team. Not a smart decision IMO.
Let's hope this season is only a bump in the road for Poehling.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He did. Before the season started I was pretty certain he was seen as the preferable option for a #4C spot both by the management and the coaching staff. I believe Nate Thompson also felt that way, because he was FLYING out there in the preseason, playing with almost playoff-like intensity.
What happened after the concussion was most disappointing for me. Poehling suddenly started playing a stupid, individualistic style of play in order to impress the management. It was basically the polar opposite of what makes him effective as a player. The lack of experience, maturity and/or lack of proper communication was painfully obvious. Then, as he was starting to hit his stride in Laval he was immediately called up only to have him grind away in the corners as a #4LW on a struggling team. Not a smart decision IMO.
Let's hope this season is only a bump in the road for Poehling.

I forgot about most of this. Yeah they gotta stop the yo you crap. Leave him down there FFS.

I lost a bit of confidence in him but I was never SUPER amped on his upside. I really think they should try him on the wing. His size and skating on the wing would be very welcome. Wouldn't be surprised if he's traded though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad