Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I couldn't remember, but now that you said it, I believe it was Belzile who scored...
oh..
I think he actually got concussed earlier in the game, but only felt the effect afterwards.

Nice! Thanks for finding that. It's better than I remember (Hoffman couldn't catch him!). And some think this kid got no game cause he struggled this year. Yeah, it's pre-season but we have to remember a concussion derailed his 1st pro year. All he needs is maturity time and he will be a good asset... either as a power forward on wing or a good 3rd line center in case of injuries.

Middle 6 forward type player IMO. Place him where you need him. Should be interesting to see how hungry he is to crack the line-up. He got a taste of it now... Just needs to keep working at it.

Reactions: Fixxer

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
I couldn't remember, but now that you said it, I believe it was Belzile who scored...
oh..
I think he actually got concussed earlier in the game, but only felt the effect afterwards.

Man I remember that pass and being the fan I am of Poehling I was going crazy thinking this was the beginning, that he was falling into his place just at the right time. Damned concussions...

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-6-12_12-8-37.png

Reactions: 26Mats

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Not concerned for the big guy in the slightest

sometimes peoples rookie seasons are a daze of overwhelm and you find yourself caught just following the play all the time because you cant even believe youre in the NHL , doesnt mean they cant figure it out and adjust as time goes on

at the same time, some peoples rookie seasons are extraordinary I.E. : Kotkaniemi last year and Suzuki this year

Everyone is still so so sooooooooo young, people tend to forget we have a barrage of quality prospects at the cusp of taking this team over, but itll take 2-3 more years unfortunately for the impatient

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not concerned for the big guy in the slightest

sometimes peoples rookie seasons are a daze of overwhelm and you find yourself caught just following the play all the time because you cant even believe youre in the NHL , doesnt mean they cant figure it out and adjust as time goes on

at the same time, some peoples rookie seasons are extraordinary I.E. : Kotkaniemi last year and Suzuki this year

Everyone is still so so sooooooooo young, people tend to forget we have a barrage of quality prospects at the cusp of taking this team over, but itll take 2-3 more years unfortunately for the impatient

It's just too bad MB is one of the impatients... sigh

Reactions: Redux91

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Laval Rocket season review: Ryan Poehling struggled in his first year as a pro

“There isn’t an easy way to put this, but Poehling struggled a bit in his first full professional season. There were stretches without points, games where he wasn’t all that noticeable, and an NHL call up that had similar issues. That isn’t unexpected, however, the AHL isn’t an easy league to adjust to for many players, and even Poehling admits that the season was loaded with bad luck and learning experiences.”

“I want to be a leader on this team. I want to be the guy the coach can trust up or down a goal in any situation.”

“What Poehling does well is very simple. He’s a versatile forward who spent time on both the wings and at centre this year. He was deployed all over, from top-line attacking forward to a hard-minutes penalty killer depending on the lineup on a given night. In short, if Bouchard needed him to fill a role, Poehling was there to do so. His versatility serves him well. Poehling quietly ate up the defensive zone minutes to give them the time in the offensive zone to shine. However, that doesn’t mean Poehling wasn’t capable of generating his own offence, or playing a role in Laval’s. His relentless play around the net is where he found many of his goals by following up his own rebounds, or pouncing on the chances created by his linemates. It wasn’t always pretty, but it was often effective.”

“While not his strongest asset, he has a shot capable of beating goalies from range. It’s something he showed he could do in his NHL debut, and on occasion in the AHL this year. That alone is a big area for Poehling to work on, as he registered just 43 shots in 36 games, and while he was playing more defensive roles for parts of the year, he’s capable of generating more than those low shot numbers.”

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
This kid needs to work hard, and gain some confidence from CJ, so that he can earn some more TOI. I think this kid has alot of talent.

I hope they try to build up his confidence so keep him away from Julien, let Bouchard work with him for a full year unless he's crushing it so much you have to call him up assuming there's a season in the AHL to begin with of course.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I hope they try to build up his confidence so keep him away from Julien, let Bouchard work with him for a full year unless he's crushing it so much you have to call him up assuming there's a season in the AHL to begin with of course.

The key to building up Poehling's confidence without shutting down his offense completely. If we want him to limit himself to being a defensive scrub, have him listen to Julien.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Huskies Hockey Happy Hour Ep. 7 with Ryan Poehling | The Rink Live

''Ryan Poehling played forward for the Huskies from 2016-19. In 107 career games, he had 29 goals, 46 assists, 75 points and 76 penalty minutes. In 2018-19, Ryan was named to the All-NCHC First Team when he had career bests of 23 assists and 31 points in 34 games. A first-round draft pick of the Montreal Canadiens, Ryan has split the 2019-20 season between the AHL's Laval Rocket and the Canadiens.''

Jul 6, 2016
Another Habs' blunder with a fresh rookie: bringing him at NHL level for one game vs a spiritless Leafs' team. He scores 4 freagin goals and think he is NHL material right then. The guy reacted very badly to his demotion to AHL level last Fall. And took forever to accept it.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Another Habs' blunder with a fresh rookie: bringing him at NHL level for one game vs a spiritless Leafs' team. He scores 4 freagin goals and think he is NHL material right then. The guy reacted very badly to his demotion to AHL level last Fall. And took forever to accept it.
But then he did and continued to work hard and improve. That's all that matters.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I made the same argument about Poehling and Michael McLeod as well and so far, all of them are struggling to create meaningful offense at the AHL level.
Did Poehling not improve his shot? His struggles last year had nothing to do with his ability to shoot lol

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Did Poehling not improve his shot? His struggles last year had nothing to do with his ability to shoot lol

At what point should I start getting concerned about Poehling's ability to beat goalies?

upload_2020-7-8_16-50-39.png

2 USHL goals albeit in 9 games.
29 goals in 107 NCAA games.
4 goals in 28 NHL games
5 goals in 36 AHL games.

We continue to compile more and more evidence that the hat-trick game was an anomaly.

He will get his production through playmaking, using his body in traffic and tipping pucks. His offensive upside has been limited at every level he has played at due to his lack of desire to shoot and his inability to beat goalies consistently from range.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
At what point should I start getting concerned about Poehling's ability to beat goalies?

View attachment 352951

4 goals in 28 NHL games
5 goals in 36 AHL games.

We continue to compile more and more evidence that the hat-trick game was an anomaly.

He will get his production through playmaking, using his body in traffic and tipping pucks. His offensive upside has been limited at every level he has played at due to his lack of desire to shoot and his inability to beat goalies consistently from range.
Which epic hat trick game?

Reactions: Kobe Armstrong

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

View attachment 352951

4 goals in 28 NHL games
5 goals in 36 AHL games.

Not sure what you expected, we drafted him to be a good 50 pts guy, 2 way and I still think he's far from his physical prime. We should see some natural physical-development style progression with him over the next few years.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Poehling had the worst 20 year old seasons any Hab 1st rounder has had at the pro level by any of Timmins picks. McCarron had 3 more goals then Poehling had points (though in 15 more games NHL+AHL) and Juulsen had 4 less points despite playing only 54 games (NHL+AHL) even Chipchura was a .5 ppg compared to Poehling's .36 ppg in Laval. That's highly troubling.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Poehling really needs to stop the 'I'm entitled' attitude. No, right now, you're not good enough. If you're truly a good leader, shut your mouth work hard and prove ur too good for the AHL. Cuz now ur not good enough for the A.

That was a horrible season for Poehling. He needs to show he wants to improve instead of believing he deserves to be in the NHL.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
We have to remember that Poehling scored 4 goals at the last game of the season. The leafs was already clinched for the playoffs, montreal didnt. They came here with no pressure to win this game, because this game meant nothing. Poehling was high because, it was his first game in the nhl. Thats it. This is an anormality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad