Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I thought Bouchard was a god when it comes to developing our prospects?

who ever said he was a god with developing players?

But anyone that has watched the previous years to these past 2 years, it's plain as day that one coach that never was a head coach prior to MB hiring him just was not very good at his job and Bouchard is miles better. Evans, Fleury, Vejdemo, Alain all showed good progress in their rookie year from the start to the end.

Brook and Poehling were major disappointments but Brook showed very good improvement as the season went on and was easily playing his best hockey of the year by far once he was put on the top pairing. So only Poehling struggled and I don't blame Bouchard as injuries and stupid call ups certainly didn't help matters.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
who ever said he was a god with developing players?

But anyone that has watched the previous years to these past 2 years, it's plain as day that one coach that never was a head coach prior to MB hiring him just was not very good at his job and Bouchard is miles better. Evans, Fleury, Vejdemo, Alain all showed good progress in their rookie year from the start to the end.

Brook and Poehling were major disappointments but Brook showed very good improvement as the season went on and was easily playing his best hockey of the year by far once he was put on the top pairing. So only Poehling struggled and I don't blame Bouchard as injuries and stupid call ups certainly didn't help matters.
Folks sing his praises alot and elevate Bouchard a tad too much.

I agree about Brook, he really came on as the year progressed.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Poehlings season got derailed by that concussion in preseason. Let's not forget how good he was looking before then. He's still has a rare combo of size, skills, skating, and compete level. He just needs to rediscover his confidence.

He reminds me a lot of Patches minus the elite speed/goal scoring acumen...:sarcasm:

Seriously though that doesn't mean he won't ebd up being a solid top 9 forward. The opinion of one guy doesn't determine his career path however I do agree that MTL management often make some questionable decisions that directly impact our prospects.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
-RP's lack of development is partially on the habs, partially due to injury, and partially on him. In that order. I think it's way way too soon to dismiss Poehling as a potential impact player for the habs.

-People are right to say he isn't a HUGE guy and that his size is being overstated, but the thing that makes him valuable is that he can skate AND he uses his body, so his size is used in his game. He's not Benoit Pouliot or some other forward who has the height but not the edge.

-Mats26 is right in pointing out his puckhandling has to improve. But honestly that's a preferable skill that I would have him need improvement than say, skating or shooting. RP's skill is there he has a go-to-the-net attitude, he can explode past people, has a good shot, can pass and can play in traffic. With stick-handling he'll never be Drouin but if he can get better at just basic puck protection and some reach-related dekes for breakaways he'll be fine.

-RP has a good attitude and it seems he's willing to put the work in. I used to say this about McCarron haha but I think it's comforting to compare the two and see that RP is definitely a NHLer and he may never be an outright star, but I could see him be the kind of player that might sacrifice offence to become a monster 2-way player in order to find a role.

Time will tell obviously, but It's likely RP is going to also have good linemates in his future, so I don't think he'll be subjected to trying to develop with a bunch of expectations. He's going to benefit from Caufield, KK, Romanov,etc to let him develop at his own pace.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I thought Bouchard was a god when it comes to developing our prospects?

The kid has barely played 30 AHL games einstein... What exactly do you think Bouchard is supposed to do on the FLY , 1 on 1, with Poehling, when there are 20 other players he needs to focus on too lol.. even Bouchard said it himself "a lot of the work has to be done by you guys alone, rent out rinks, practice for hours on end"

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The kid has barely played 30 AHL games einstein... What exactly do you think Bouchard is supposed to do on the FLY , 1 on 1, with Poehling, when there are 20 other players he needs to focus on too lol.. even Bouchard said it himself "a lot of the work has to be done by you guys alone, rent out rinks, practice for hours on end"
Einstein? Seriously man tone down the condescending tone. I like talking hockey with folks here but I don't appreciate being talked down too. You don't like my views? Move on. Crap like this is why I barely post anymore...no friggin civility

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Folks sing his praises alot and elevate Bouchard a tad too much.

I agree about Brook, he really came on as the year progressed.

I would say that on this board there might not be any others that have followed our AHL team as close as I have since the days of the Citadelles. Though since AHL.tv came out it's been much easier to see all the games, there's only been 2 coaches that really stood out to me, Boucher and Bouchard although I did like the Randy's a lot and Jarvis was good as well.

I don't see that much hype on Bouchard, but the guy deserves it, he can flat out coach as his 2 years have clearly shown since both seasons he's had his top vets taken away from him and left with a shit roster but was able to get the most out of them especially this year as he had them winning games while missing just about an entire top 6.

As far as development goes we'll see how good he really is but I think management has not helped him just like Timmins as doing stupid shit like calling up Poehling days after Bouchard benched him for a brutal turnover or calling up a 20 year old goalie that just gave up 14 goals in 3 games to face the best offense in the NHL. They should have put Fleury back in Laval to be on the top pairing and work on his D game. These moves imo don't help develop these kids or at least speaks to someone with questionable understanding of development that's in charge of the organization.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
So only Poehling struggled and I don't blame Bouchard as injuries and stupid call ups certainly didn't help matters.
I mean Bouchard dealt with him the most out of anyone this year, he is partially responsible for his abysmal play. Doesn't help that he's a pouty player. Don't understand why calling him up for 27 games should ruin him. It doesn't help, but it shouldn't be the reason why he forgot how to play hockey completely. Had it been a whole season then I can see the argument.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
This is incorrect, Poehling won't be 22 until January 2021...He is currently 21 and joined the Habs as a 20 year old.

He played his 21 st year. My bad. JK came in at 18. People bashing and saying how JK is a bust make no sense. But people could potentially think that at 21, chances are you won't be able to transform a 4th liner into a top 6 player. Especially if your big problem is puck handling.

Reactions: DAChampion

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I mean Bouchard dealt with him the most out of anyone this year, he is partially responsible for his abysmal play. Doesn't help that he's a pouty player. Don't understand why calling him up for 27 games should ruin him. It doesn't help, but it shouldn't be the reason why he forgot how to play hockey completely. Had it been a whole season then I can see the argument.

Where did I say he was ruined? I never believed in his offensive upside despite thinking he would be a lock to be an NHLer.

I don't blame Bouchard because he handled Poehling well imo. But if you don't understand how bad of an idea it is and how incompetent it makes MB look to call up a struggling 20 year old for 4 games then send him back then call him up a month later for 23 games then send him back down. How badly that can mess with a players confidence, especially a 1st round pick that goes pointless in his first 19 games, to how tough that can be mentally for some then I don't know what to tell you.

He played his 21 st year. My bad.

I go by the WJC/AHL age rules so Poehling was in his age 20 season, next year will be his age 21 season.

Reactions: DAChampion

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I keep forgetting about this guy. I'd try to move him for a similarly ranked D prospect. Should have dealt him after that 4 goal game.

If not, what's the path forward for him? Third line LW? Danault will almost certainly be signed, Suzuki is a keeper at C, Kotkaniemi hopefully progresses and we still have Domi who wants to play in the middle.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I keep forgetting about this guy. I'd try to move him for a similarly ranked D prospect. Should have dealt him after that 4 goal game.

If not, what's the path forward for him? Third line LW? Danault will almost certainly be signed, Suzuki is a keeper at C, Kotkaniemi hopefully progresses and we still have Domi who wants to play in the middle.

Not a big fan of trading Poehling right now, i feel like it could hurt Montreal. But if they were to trade him for a similar D prospect i'd try to go with Bean, he's not waivers eligible anymore tho

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Poehling has played 36 AHL games and 27 NHL games and is 21. He was not expected to be a dominate player but a good 2nd or 3rd line center in his draft +1 and +2 years of development. WJC MVP and 4 goals in his 1st game raised expectations and Habs fans fall for that.

His path moving forward? Who knows but we need to chill and allow these kids to mature without too much pressure. Poehling has the hunger to improve and I'm sure he will be a good middle 6 forward for us. I have him as a power forward LW projection.. 50 pts (+/-) and 20 goals (+/-) type forward who has size and strength along the walls. We need this type!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

no way that happens though, MB would look so stupid to trade him now that his value is likely down a good bit i'm guessing vs the rumored ROR trade.

But he should have traded him since he should know by now he can't develop prospects for shit. Of course some of that is clearly on Timmins and his staff but I've just never seen one GM make so many bad decisions in regards to prospects/development.

As for his path forward, it's too early to say as he stands a very good chance of being an NHLer but how good of one is the biggest question. I always saw him as a 3rd liner on a contender but I didn't expect him to look so bad in the AHL, next season will be a big one as he's got to take a big step forward offensively. The bad news was that he looked totally lost out there at times (Laval, as I didn't watch the Habs much at all outside of Primeau's and Evans debuts) as he was not playing his game at all much like Brook which was very troubling.

Hopefully he can stay healthy but if he doesn't learn to keep his head up he's likely going to have some problems there as well. He's got the frame to take a hit or two but as we all know it doesn't matter your size when talking head injuries. He's got to be smarter there imo. But if he can stay healthy next year, I hope he gets a lot of time in Laval, stop giving these damn kids the yo-yo treatment and just let them work things out in the AHL until they show they are ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad