Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Cups are not won by individual players, but as a team. The ex-Habs players with contending teams have that opportunity to be better surrounded and coached.
Cups are not won by individual players, but as a team. The ex-Habs players with contending teams have that opportunity to be better surrounded and coached.
Ok... so now it’s coaching? Not drafting? I’m confused, but enjoy your posts.

Jul 6, 2016
It's not a reason to give a top-two line centerman role to a guy who has not proved nothing yet at pro level.

Danault was projected to be a third line centerman at NHL level at best. Even MB thought that. But the guy can help himself and prove that he belongs to higher lines. Danault was not burning the AHL either. If Poehling can do that, super !

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
It's not a reason to give a top-two line centerman role to a guy who has not proved nothing yet at pro level.

Uh, not saying that. Im saying we need to draft players with higher upside than the 3rd line.

Jul 6, 2016
Uh, not saying that. Im saying we need to draft players with higher upside than the 3rd line.

Of course.... The best one possible, whatever his position.

Habs have drafted mostly centermen two years ago.... Besides KK, we might see maybe Hillis at AHL-NHL level.

Last season, they went all the way (almost) for D-men. If Caufield would not had been available at #15, Habs would had drafted a d-man for sure.

This year ???? Scoring wingers.

What a way to build a team !!!!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It seems that the problem with him is not his physical attributes and skills, but the mental part: accepting to climb the ladder step by step. It was a very, very bad move bringing him at NHL level for the last game last season. But Habs are experts at "burning" kids.

will he accept to stay at AHL level two more seasons ? The kid was pouting as hell when sent down after his training camp injury.

The flip side is, the kid has good drive.

At the end of the day, if you tell him once he produces at a certain level at the AHL level he'll be called up. He can't argue with that. He'll have to get to work and figure out how to produce at that level.

Jul 6, 2016
Even if I don't like his attitude, I think Poehling will reach NHL within a year and have a solid carreer as a middle six winger or centerman.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Even if I don't like his attitude, I think Poehling will reach NHL within a year and have a solid carreer as a middle six winger or centerman.

I kind of like that he has drive. He wants to be here. He's willing to do what it takes - play fourth line, etc... As a coach you have to save him from himself - put him in the minors, work with him, chill him out and get him working on his stick handling and puck skills, etc... But I'd rather a player with Poehling's "attitude" than another De la Rose, Enqvist, Bonk Jr., etc... with no heart and passion. I think Poehling also really loves Montreal and playing at the Bell center. He wants to be here.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Refreshing to see that Bergevin hasn't learned anything about not overrating his own prospects after 8 years of disaster. But hey, he projected that Poehling wasn't going to be a top 6 center, which is why he didn't trade him for a stud top 2 center.
We could’ve had a top 2C for Poehling straight up?

I mean, St-Louis, an out of division team gave up Berglund (Armia), Sobotka (Lehkonen), Tage Thompson (Poehling), a 1st round pick (Caulfield) and a second round pick......I’m not sure how we could’ve gotten O’Reilley for Poehling

Last edited:

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

I mean, St-Louis, an out of division team gave up Berglund (Armia), Sobotka (Lehkonen), Tage Thompson (Poehling), a 1st round pick (Caulfield) and a second round pick......I’m not sure how we could’ve gotten O’Reilley for Poehling

of course not that’s dump we couldn’t have ROR for Poehling. It’s not even a question

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

I mean, St-Louis, an out of division team gave up Berglund (Armia), Sobotka (Lehkonen), Tage Thompson (Poehling)
These evaluations are way off. Berglund and Sobotka were awful cap dumps, they had negative value. We didn't even need to dump salary like the Blues did. Poehling was also always a better prospect than Thompson.
a 1st round pick (Caulfield) and a second round pick......I’m not sure how we could’ve gotten O’Reilley for Poehling
Next years 1st round pick from team that finished 4th last (and has won 2 playoff games since 2015) doesn't equal to next years 1st round pick from a frequent playoff team.

Not straight up for Poehling, but the adds were minor. If you don't want to believe what I have to say, read what the Athletic had to say: "According to the article, Botterill wanted a minimum of Ryan Poehling and a second round selection for the services of O’Reilly.". Also Bergevin himself confirmed that.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
These evaluations are way off. Berglund and Sobotka were awful cap dumps, they had negative value. We didn't even need to dump salary like the Blues did. Poehling was also always a better prospect than Thompson.

Next years 1st round pick from team that finished 4th last (and has won 2 playoff games since 2015) doesn't equal to next years 1st round pick from a frequent playoff team.

Not straight up for Poehling, but the adds were minor. If you don't want to believe what I have to say, read what the Athletic had to say: "According to the article, Botterill wanted a minimum of Ryan Poehling and a second round selection for the services of O’Reilly.". Also Bergevin himself confirmed that.
Cap dump does not = no good player .....see T.Tatar

And wasn’t Armia also a capdump????... very much so!!

Berglund’s previous season before moving on to Buffalo was a 17 goal campaign in 57 games as a 29yr old....this is hardly garbage

Thompson was a 6’5 RW that was picked around the same spot as Poehling, and Thompson was more productive than Poehling at the Collegiate level, to say Poehling had greater value is a bit unfair.

I’ll also add that Lebrun was also reporting that Buffalo was looking for a 1st, 2nd and a very good prospect.....that turns into KK, Romanov and Poehling......ya.....not doing it.

For Buffalo to trade within the division, the price was always gonna be equal to St. Louis or steeper, in other words, it was never gonna happen for a player of O’Reilly’s caliber

Reactions: Sterling Archer

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Won't even bother responding to the rest when you say stuff like this. How was Armia a capdump? So you think Bergevin gave up Simon Bourque to pick up 2 cap dumps, a 4th and a 7th? That makes no sense.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Won't even bother responding to the rest when you say stuff like this. How was Armia a capdump? So you think Bergevin gave up Simon Bourque to pick up 2 cap dumps, a 4th and a 7th? That makes no sense.

winnipeg had to move salary in order to sign their top guns. That's the fact, but carry on.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
winnipeg had to move salary in order to sign their top guns. That's the fact, but carry on.
Which is why they traded Steve Mason, an actual cap dump. Joel Armia, who was an RFA, is not a cap dump. They had to trade him to move Steve Masons contract.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Which is why they traded Steve Mason, an actual cap dump. Joel Armia, who was an RFA, is not a cap dump. They had to trade him to move Steve Masons contract.

They needed to move him because they could not afford paying him a raise, call it whatever you want. I see you like splitting hairs.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
They needed to move him because they could not afford paying him a raise, call it whatever you want. I see you like splitting hairs.
A cap dump is someone with a bad contract who also has negative value. Armia doesn't fit either of those categories. Winnipeg didn't move Armia to clear cap space, it's obvious to the vast majority of people in the world that he had positive value. They were planning to resign Statsny which Armia's 1.85 million contract would have had little to no effect. I see you like being deliberately obtuse and ignoring facts.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Cap dump does not = no good player .....see T.Tatar

No. Armia wasn't a cap dump, he was the payment to take on Mason as a cap dump.

Tatar struggled in Vegas but he was still a young ish consistently solid top 6 forward with value. For Montreal he was a credible veteran forward to play in the top 6 after trading Pacioretty and Galchenyuk, and for Vegas he wasn't a fit and they had no need to pay him 5.5M to be their 3rd line LW after Marchessault and Pacioretty. It's a cap league and a team close to the cap sending their 2LW+prospects for another team's 1LW isn't the same thing as a cap dump.

Berglund/Sobotka were bottom six plugs making 3.8M and 3.5M on a team with cup aspirations that needed to clear basically that amount of money to bring in O'Reilly. If the Sabres actually valued them as part of the return that's simply them being hopeless at pro scouting/asset management which I think is a pretty reasonable charge against Sabres management at this point.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
A cap dump is someone with a bad contract who also has negative value. Armia doesn't fit either of those categories. Winnipeg didn't move Armia to clear cap space, it's obvious to the vast majority of people in the world that he had positive value. They were planning to resign Statsny which Armia's 1.85 million contract would have had little to no effect. I see you like being deliberately obtuse and ignoring facts.

I'm just saying you knew what the guy meant, but felt the need to ''teach'' us what a cap dump is. It was a wrong use of the term, but everyone else in the room got what he meant.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'm just saying you knew what the guy meant, but felt the need to ''teach'' us what a cap dump is. It was a wrong use of the term, but everyone else in the room got what he meant.
If it was a 2nd instead of Armia would that still apply? Probably not. The Leafs traded their 1st to unload Marleaus contract. The Jets traded Armia to unload Masons contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad