Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
If it was a 2nd instead of Armia would that still apply? Probably not. The Leafs traded their 1st to unload Marleaus contract. The Jets traded Armia to unload Masons contract.

Then wouldn't you agree that the 1rst the canes got was because of a cap dump ? That's all jaffy tried to say and you couldn't read between the lines. Instead you put your teacher's glasses on as if you could teach any of us what a cap dump actually is. Losen the tie my friend.

To answer your question -I hate when people dont- yes I would still consider a 2nd as being part of a cap dump and that's how I portray the "sweetener" in most cases when teams have to give something away they don't want as part of a cap dump.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
A cap dump is someone with a bad contract who also has negative value. Armia doesn't fit either of those categories. Winnipeg didn't move Armia to clear cap space, it's obvious to the vast majority of people in the world that he had positive value. They were planning to resign Statsny which Armia's 1.85 million contract would have had little to no effect. I see you like being deliberately obtuse and ignoring facts.
A cap dump is a player who no longer fits into the teams salary structure. It’s not about being a good or bad player but rather too expensive for the team. Look at Tampa and the players that are being thrown around that they’ll have to get rid of. Are Kilorn, Gourde etc. terrible players? He’ll no, Tampa can’t afford them and they need to dump them. Simple as that. You’re conflating other examples and trying to make it the rule, which it’s not. Wayne Gretzky was a freaking cap dump!

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Da Fortnite Boi:

upload_2020-5-21_15-48-48.png

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Then wouldn't you agree that the 1rst the canes got was because of a cap dump ? That's all jaffy tried to say and you couldn't read between the lines. Instead you put your teacher's glasses on as if you could teach any of us what a cap dump actually is. Losen the tie my friend.

To answer your question -I hate when people dont- yes I would still consider a 2nd as being part of a cap dump and that's how I portray the "sweetener" in most cases when teams have to give something away they don't want as part of a cap dump.

Cap Dumps (good player or not) will be very difficult to move this off season... whenever that is. NHL GM's going to be very conservative with their cap space and the cap growth being 0 or negative

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Cap Dumps (good player or not) will be very difficult to move this off season... whenever that is. NHL GM's going to be very conservative with their cap space and the cap growth being 0 or negative

I still can't believe we missed out on Marleau - and taking Bickell's contract to get Terravainen for that matter. I would have taken a 2nd for one year of Marleau.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
In french.....a kid from Montreal now working for the Leafs saying that he doesn't like where Poehling's development is headed. That his upper body moves a lot when he has the puck. Which makes him lose the puck often. Which inevitably will make his coach to tell him to stop controlling the puck and dump it...which will make him eventually just a 4th liner.....

Un ancien expert du développement malmène le CH - TVA Sports

Reactions: Fixxer

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
In french.....a kid from Montreal now working for the Leafs saying that he doesn't like where Poehling's development is headed. That his upper body moves a lot when he has the puck. Which makes him lose the puck often. Which inevitably will make his coach to tell him to stop controlling the puck and dump it...which will make him eventually just a 4th liner.....

Un ancien expert du développement malmène le CH - TVA Sports

His biggest weakness right now is his puck handling.

But he has great speed, willingness to drive to the net, and has shown signs of good finish. He may become a solid power forward that won't hurt you defensively. But priority number 1 should be to work on his puck skills. I would give him one or two full years of development in Laval where he's put in situations to handle the puck. I would also work on his puck skills relentlessly in practices during the season - and throughout the off-season. In Laval, this is the type of individualized development that should be taking place, even if it's at the expense of team wins.

Reactions: JeffreyLFC

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Ça regarde mal pour Poehling

Han ne veut pas jouer les prophètes de malheur. Mais dans le cadre de son travail avec les Marlies, il a régulièrement observé Ryan Poehling dans la Ligue américaine. Et il a un mauvais pressentiment par rapport à l’avenir du jeune homme...

«Je considère qu’il va avoir beaucoup de problèmes, s’inquiète Han. Il y a beaucoup de carences dans son jeu avec la rondelle. S’il essaie de faire un jeu à une certaine vitesse, en mouvement, sous pression, il va perdre le disque.»
Jack Han was on TSN690 with Tony, repeating the above talking about the flaws he sees with Ryan Poehling, about his ability to make plays with the puck with speed. He does like Kotka though.

Interesting observations, if the 690 podcast becomes available, believe it's worth checking out.

Edit: Noticed that the article has also been linked and discussed on the Poehling thread.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Jack Han was on TSN690 with Tony, repeating the above talking about the flaws he sees with Ryan Poehling, about his ability to make plays with the puck with speed. He does like Kotka though.

Interesting observations, if the 690 podcast becomes available, believe it's worth checking out.

I think Poehling turns into a power forward winger and we need that. Even if he tops out at 40-50 pts, if he is using his big body to free up space for others, this is an asset for the Habs. Poehling is committed to getting better and I know he will work hard at it

Kotkaniemi was drafted as a long term prospect. Habs inserting him at 18 confused the fans cause he showed some ability. The kid has sick hands and vision with size. It's going to take a while for him to use his body as leverage and better edge work. Patience required regardless if he plays NHL or AHL in the next season

Individual hunger to improve and put work into their development > Organizational ability to facilitate development. Look at what Suzuki did last off season where he added muscle? Kids smart and knows the areas he needs to improve at. No team was going to develop Beaulieu, Scherbak, Galchenyuk into better players.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think Poehling turns into a power forward winger and we need that. Even if he tops out at 40-50 pts, if he is using his big body to free up space for others, this is an asset for the Habs. Poehling is committed to getting better and I know he will work hard at it

Kotkaniemi was drafted as a long term prospect. Habs inserting him at 18 confused the fans cause he showed some ability. The kid has sick hands and vision with size. It's going to take a while for him to use his body as leverage and better edge work. Patience required regardless if he plays NHL or AHL in the next season

Individual hunger to improve and put work into their development > Organizational ability to facilitate development. Look at what Suzuki did last off season where he added muscle? Kids smart and knows the areas he needs to improve at. No team was going to develop Beaulieu, Scherbak, Galchenyuk into better players.
Suggesting things boil down to a hunger to improve is just an old school cliche. They're all high level athletes, they all have the hunger to win and become better.

Reactions: montreal

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
No development needed.

If he was good, he'd already be good.

That's what I've been told about development.

Well in Poehling's case...that's pretty much it though. He came in at 22. Tough to blame it on the Habs like we can do for Kotkaniemi though....

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
No development needed.

If he was good, he'd already be good.

That's what I've been told about development.
He’s got some size and is a good skater, I don’t see anything else in this guy. I’m not saying you don’t work with him, but I have always thought he was a very meh prospect. I was shocked when he was voted our top prospect. I had a hard time finding a spot in the top 5 for him at the time.

I don’t see what many others are seeing.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Poehlings season got derailed by that concussion in preseason. Let's not forget how good he was looking before then. He's still has a rare combo of size, skills, skating, and compete level. He just needs to rediscover his confidence.
That's exactly what I saw from him, he actually reminded me a little of a young Pacioretty, he got hurt and things changed for him and let's face it. concussions are not easy to bounce back from, I am still hopeful about this kid.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think Poehling turns into a power forward winger and we need that. Even if he tops out at 40-50 pts, if he is using his big body to free up space for others, this is an asset for the Habs.

I would be shocked if he was a 50 pts player for us, that would be great to see but I just don't see how that happens as I have been saying for some time that people have gone overboard on his offensive game as it's just not high end at all.

My hope is that he turns into a solid 3rd liner that can put up around 30-40 pts but my fear is that he will end up more of a 4th liner as he looked downright terrible in Laval.

Well in Poehling's case...that's pretty much it though. He came in at 22. Tough to blame it on the Habs like we can do for Kotkaniemi though....

Are you saying Poehling is 22? Cause he turned 21 a few months back, this was his age 20 season.

But once again what a f***ing shit show from management in the how not to handle a prospect. It just blows my mind how someone in charge of this team for so many years can still make so many just flat out brutal mistakes in regards to development. Like even if you suck at your job you would think you would still get a few right here and there. The lone hope is him opting not to rush Caufield so maybe he's actually learning something.

He’s got some size and is a good skater, I don’t see anything else in this guy. I’m not saying you don’t work with him, but I have always thought he was a very meh prospect. I was shocked when he was voted our top prospect. I had a hard time finding a spot in the top 5 for him at the time.

I don’t see what many others are seeing.

That one NHL game and his big game in the WJC's have had several Hab fans overrating him. I have said for some time that he will be an NHLer but I never saw him as a top line forward and did not think he had the offensive skills to even be a 2nd line center at least on a contender. I got heat for saying his floor was a 4th liner before this past season, but now I'm not even sure I can say that as he was just so bad in Laval.

Though what ass hat would call up a 20 year old center that was just benched in the AHL in the same week. I swear I don't think I've ever seen that move before. It just drives me crazy how they handle these kids. So f***ing stupid.

That's exactly what I saw from him, he actually reminded me a little of a young Pacioretty, he got hurt and things changed for him and let's face it. concussions are not easy to bounce back from, I am still hopeful about this kid.

I watched Pacioretty a bit in the USHL in his draft year and a good bit in the NCAA and a ton in the AHL. These two are nothing a like. Pac turned his game from a playmaking winger to a top sniper. Poehling is more like Chipchura to me then Pac as his shot is just not very good and while he's likely got more offensive upside then Chipchura he's just not a high skilled guy imo.

What Poehling brings is NHL physical tools of skating, speed, size, a solid two way game. He will put some points on the board but he needs to be miles better then what he showed so far in the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad